PDA

View Full Version : Target Shooting

Ltlabner
06-28-2007, 07:50 AM
I've never been a target shooter per se, but have always enjoyed putting lead down range and learning the fundementals of handgun safety and use. It's odly relaxing and satisfying to go to the range and put up decent groups at various ranges. It's definatley fun to plink around a farm or other wide open space. I was at my local range on Tuesday for the first time in 4 or 5 years and it rekindled my interest in the hobby.

I was into the whole ammo loading thing a while back but lost interest and even with the money savings it's still an expensive hobby. I had a Dillion (IIRC, is that the blue plastic one?) progressive that was pretty inexpensive and worked well.

In my wilder, lest thrifty days, I owned Sig Sauers, Glocks, Berettas, Rugers, S&W's and Stars. The Sig P229 was my favorite, large frame so the 9mm felt like a .22. The Beretta 92FS was pretty nice. The Glock .40 SW was nice but I never got used to the funky trigger/safey feature.

Now I've just got a Rossi .38, an ACP .380 backup and a Bersa .22 auto. I've got the yen again to pick up something that can be really used at the range. What I have now isn't really range worthy.

So for you target shooting types, what's your hardware of choice? Any particular ammo? Does your local range offer any amenities/services that are out of the ordinary? Tips and tricks?

This is not meant to be a political discussion regarding handguns in any way. I'm not interested in people's views on the subject. Rather, I'm interested in discussing the subject with those who enjoy target shooting. Should you find handguns distastefull, I can respect your opinion but please do not share it here.

nate
06-28-2007, 08:01 AM
As we talked about in chat last night, I have a Glock 19 9mm, Browning Buckmark .22 target pistol and an old Ruger .22 from my "can shootin' on the farm" days.

I haven't been to the range in a decade. Used to go with my Dad and we'll probably go again when the folks come to visit. He's got a .357, can't remember what semi-auto he had although I remember he did have a Ruger something or other growing up. He got Mom one of the Lady S&W's recently and says its a good gun for women (internal hammer, single action, etc.) He's always wanted a 1911...maybe I can get him as a gift one of these days instead of Scotch!

15fan
06-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Not much of a guns guy, but I've got one of these (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0024186226385a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=air+rifles&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=air+rifles&noImage=0) at home for dealing with varmints.

Over 4th of July, we'll inevitably have some neighbors over for a cookout. One thing will lead to another and we'll end up shooting at full, shaken cans of this (http://www.euronet.nl/users/arold/blacklab.html).

We've developed a saying in our neighborhood - "there's drinking beer, and then there's shooting beer."

gonelong
06-28-2007, 09:39 AM
I have a Remington 1100 that I dear hunt with.

Was lucky enough to bust a whole pile of rounds downrange from various weapons while in the National Guard. (45, M16, M60, 81mm Mortars, etc. ... came withing a whisker of being able to fire a BGM-71 wire guided missle (Tow Gun) ... that'd been sweet!)

GL

06-28-2007, 09:51 AM
How about this target? Click on it- I always forget how to post a pic in a bigger size.

Johnny Footstool
06-28-2007, 10:42 AM
I've been to a shooting range exactly once. I figured that if (God forbid) a situation arose in which I ever *had* to fire a gun, I didn't want that to be my first time shooting.

A friend of mine has a SW .38 he bought from a police auction, so last year we went to a local firing range and popped off a few shots. I actually did pretty well -- I got lucky and hit dead-center on one of my shots.

I felt pretty good about the whole thing. I'm not a gun enthusiast -- in fact, I'm in favor of strict gun control. But I think it's worthwhile for *everyone* to learn how to use a gun the correct way, just in case.

MrCinatit
06-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Like Johnny, I've been at the range once.
I am naturally right-handed - and thought I would do better leading with the right.
I found differently, as I see much better out of my left eye. Managed to hit the bullseye on my first shot that way.
I did this several years ago - and while it was a very nice learning experience, I have not found a burning desire to do it again.

Ltlabner
07-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Well, the yen for a new weapon has been fufilled.

Picked up a used Beretta 85. It's a .380auto. Picked it up used and have not had a chance to go to the range with it yet. It looks like this, except it's chambered for .380 instead of .22LR. I figured with .380 it's big enough to matter if needed, but small enough to be comfortable for Mrs. Ltlabner to shoot. Not nearly as inexpensive as .22LR, and slightly more than 9mm, but still somewhat reasonable cost per round.

http://products.berettausa.com/images/immagini_maxi/87_Cheetah_S_maxi.jpg

My last Beretta, a 92FS (the 9mm) was a fantastic handgun. Very, very smooth slide action. Never jamed. Very little recoil. All around fun gun to shoot. Wish I had kept it. If the 85 is 75% as nice as the 92FS I'll be very satisfied.

But with the new 85 I'm anxious to get to the range and see/feal how it operates.

WebScorpion
07-27-2007, 01:28 AM
I'm not much for target shooting with a handgun, but I thought most serious target shooters used a .22LR chambered weapon..
Personally, I prefer a .30-06 round... and a little longer barrel. ;)

Ltlabner
07-27-2007, 07:42 AM
I'm not much for target shooting with a handgun, but I thought most serious target shooters used a .22LR chambered weapon..
Personally, I prefer a .30-06 round... and a little longer barrel. ;)

Yea, my "target shooting" is mostly seeing how tight of pattern I can put up at 3 and 10 yards. Not really target shooting in the clasical sense by any strech.

You are right that .22LR is a real target shooting round. Althought I've seen some beautiful .45Cal competition guns also.