PDA

View Full Version : The race for the 2008 #1 overall draft pick

OnBaseMachine
07-01-2007, 01:45 PM
I don't know about you guys, but if the Reds are going to stink it up and lose, then I want them to do it the right way: finish with the worst record in order to get that number one draft pick in the 2008 draft. A lot of folks (including me) will hate the fact that our Reds could finish with the worst record in baseball, however, it's better for the long-term if they do. Think of this - We already have two established major league starters (Harang and Arroyo) plus Homer Bailey who could be an ace as early as 2009. Matt Belisle is a formidible 5th starter. The bullpen has some young arms either in the majors or who are nearing the majors with good stuff. The offense has a solid young nucleas to build around (Encarnacion, Hamilton, Phillips) with two huge prospects on the way (Bruce and Votto). The Reds have some of the better trading chips on the trade market (Dunn and Griffey) who could net some big prospects. Scott Hatteberg, David Weathers, and Kyle Lohse could net a solid prospect or two.

Where I'm trying to get as is, the Reds aren't really that far off from contending IMO. With all the young talent they have now, adding a #1 overall pick type talent to the organization would be huge. I compare our situation this year to the Padres and Diamondbacks of a few years ago: All three teams were bad enough to finish with the worst record, yet had enough young and talented players both at the major league and minor league levels to contend the following season. I could see the Reds doing that next season, which is why I am rooting for the #1 overall pick.

With that said, who do I want at number one? Brian Matusz, a 6'4" 195 pound LHP from the University of San Diego. Matusz is similar to this year's number one overall pick David Price. Both are big, polished lefties with great stuff and the ability to move through the system quickly. This kid could be ready by sometime in 2009, which is around the time Homer Bailey should be putting it altogether. That could be a deadly 1-2 combo for years to come.

So here it is, the race for the 2008 number one overall pick:

Top five worst records:

1. Cincinnati Reds 31-51
2. Washington Nationals 33-48, 2.5 GB
3. Texas Rangers 33-47, 3.0 GB
4. Tampa Bay Devil Rays 33-47, 3.0 GB
5. Kansas City Royals 34-47, 3.0 GB

KronoRed
07-01-2007, 02:08 PM
Lets win something for once! :D

Chi-Town Red
07-01-2007, 02:50 PM
very realistic at this point

dougdirt
07-01-2007, 02:51 PM
They will blow it and get the #3 pick. Im calling it now.

reds44
07-01-2007, 02:52 PM
I'll be surprised if we get it.

corkedbat
07-01-2007, 03:23 PM
If we end up with the number 1 pick, you won't have to worry about a holdout. They'll make sure it's someone the can sign before they take him (they might even have talent). :cry:

AmarilloRed
07-01-2007, 03:27 PM
The other two contender -the Nationals and the Rangers might both win 10 more
games than the Reds. I don't see how we can fail to not get the no#1 pick.

OnBaseMachine
07-01-2007, 05:24 PM
The Reds lost to fall to 20 games under .500. Washington won so the Reds increase their lead to 2.5 games.

BoydsOfSummer
07-01-2007, 05:37 PM
:laugh:

Chi-Town Red
07-01-2007, 05:37 PM
geez,:pray: something to look forward to

joshnky
07-01-2007, 05:50 PM
If you're cheering for the #1 pick you might want to hope Narron holds onto his job for a couple more months. We were in a similar situation back in 2005 when Miley got fired and the team rebounded under Narron. I can easily see this happening again. It seems that managerial shakeups tend to jump start underachieving teams.

Aronchis
07-01-2007, 06:16 PM
We were in a similar situation back in 2005 when Miley got fired and the team rebounded under Narron. I can easily see this happening again.

and it cost the Reds a shot at Andrew Miller who Krivsky said they were very interested if he fell to them. If you are going to be bad, might as well be as bad as possible;)

chicoruiz
07-01-2007, 07:50 PM
We may mot have to get the #1 overall to get Matusz. I remember reading somewhere that the #1 draft prospect is a 3B whose name escapes me; Pedro something maybe? Somebody help me out.

OnBaseMachine
07-01-2007, 07:52 PM
We may mot have to get the #1 overall to get Matusz. I remember reading somewhere that the #1 draft prospect is a 3B whose name escapes me; Pedro something maybe? Somebody help me out.

Pedro Alvarez, 3B from Vanderbilt. But if I had the #1 pick I would choose Matusz.

Blue
07-01-2007, 08:28 PM
If Homer starts figuring it out and Arroyo rebounds, we've got no shot at winning this thing.

OnBaseMachine
07-01-2007, 08:50 PM
If Homer starts figuring it out and Arroyo rebounds, we've got no shot at winning this thing.

Are you taking into account the fact that Dunn and/or Griffey could get traded? Hatteberg also. And Weathers.

Blue
07-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Are you taking into account the fact that Dunn and/or Griffey could get traded?

No, but there's a good reason for me not too:

I want to be able to sleep tonight.:(

Screwball
07-01-2007, 11:16 PM

I think you're forgetting one word that still gives us a very good shot:

Bullpen. :bang:

11larkin11
07-01-2007, 11:38 PM
We were in a similar situation back in 2005 when Miley got fired and the team rebounded under Narron. I can easily see this happening again.

and it cost the Reds a shot at Andrew Miller who Krivsky said they were very interested if he fell to them. If you are going to be bad, might as well be as bad as possible;)

Yea, since picking Jay Bruce was such a bad thing...

Blue
07-01-2007, 11:50 PM
Yea, since picking Jay Bruce was such a bad thing...

hehe... you're off by a year.

Benihana
07-01-2007, 11:58 PM
we actually ended up with Stubbs the year of Miller :bang::bang::bang:

jmcclain19
07-02-2007, 12:37 AM

"With the 3rd pick in the draft...the Reds select RHP Christopher Gruler...."

jmcclain19
07-02-2007, 12:39 AM
And I would count on the Reds getting a dead cat bounce from the new skipper. It always happens.

That's the short term look the Reds were looking for - need to sell those tickets the next few months.

uoduck1017
07-08-2007, 10:13 PM
All-Star Break Update

Top Five Worst Records:

1. Tampa Bay Devil Rays 34-53
2. Cincinnati Reds 36-52, 1.5 GB
3. Washington Nationals 36-52, 1.5 GB
4. Texas Rangers 38-50, 3.5 GB
5. Kansas City Royals 38-50, 3.5 GB

Looks like the Reds have their work cut out for them if they are serious about getting the #1 pick.

KronoRed
07-08-2007, 10:20 PM
And I would count on the Reds getting a dead cat bounce from the new skipper. It always happens.

You are a wise fellow.

Benihana
07-09-2007, 10:30 AM
The good news is if the DRays get the #1 pick, they may be more inclined to take Alvarez over Matusz, given the fact that they picked Matusz Sr. in Price #1 overall this year.

malcontent
07-09-2007, 10:44 PM
The good news is if the DRays get the #1 pick, they may be more inclined to take Alvarez over Matusz, given the fact that they picked Matusz Sr. in Price #1 overall this year.

Doesn't the NL team with the worst record draft #1 in 2008?

KronoRed
07-09-2007, 11:22 PM
They don't alternate leagues anymore, worst is worst

DoogMinAmo
07-10-2007, 04:43 AM
Its a lost cause, the Reds are out of this race. :)

AmarilloRed
07-10-2007, 08:17 PM
If we did get a high pick, would the management pay for him? I think that is an equally important question. I can see Mackanin having a good second half, and we would end up drafting in the middle. Which might be better, as the management wouldn't have a problem picking lower down.

BucksandReds
07-10-2007, 08:39 PM
If we did get a high pick, would the management pay for him? I think that is an equally important question. I can see Mackanin having a good second half, and we would end up drafting in the middle. Which might be better, as the management wouldn't have a problem picking lower down.

If we draft in the middle then I'll be ecstatic. That would mean that we are a team on fire and I'd much rather finish 2nd or 3rd in the division while finishing on fire than 2nd or 3rd in the division while finishing horridly (see last year.) I'm telling you guys. We are a bullpen away. Offer Linebrink 6 million and the closers role. Move Weathers to the 8th and have an entire year of seasoning under our young guys in the pen. We'll have Votto at 1st, hopefully Bruce in for a playoff push by July, Dunn, Griffey, Phillips, Encarnacion and Hamilton in the lineup. I am not saying that we are a sure thing or a World series champ but that team can compete. We finally have decent starters (Narron tired out Arroyo because of the awful pen and Bailey has shown signs of what he WILL be.) This team is awful right now but ONLY because we have an AWFUL BULLPEN, right now.

IslandRed
07-10-2007, 10:54 PM

I have to disagree. They've got Evan Longoria as the 3B of the future and there's no such thing as too much pitching.

Mario-Rijo
07-10-2007, 11:10 PM
I have to disagree. They've got Evan Longoria as the 3B of the future and there's no such thing as too much pitching.

Ditto, especially in TB!

nmculbreth
07-11-2007, 12:33 AM

How is picking in the middle of the first round preferable to picking in the top three? Even if you took all of the Boras players off the draft board, the players willing to sign for slot money at #3 are going to be better prospects than those who are willing to sign for slot money at #15.

dougdirt
07-11-2007, 12:42 AM
How is picking in the middle of the first round preferable to picking in the top three? Even if you took all of the Boras players off the draft board, the players willing to sign for slot money at #3 are going to be better prospects than those who are willing to sign for slot money at #15.

Well in theory the Reds would have quite a turn around to end up picking in the middle of the first round, so it would be preferable to some to have a close to .500 season than a 30 games under .500 season.

Of course the belief among many is that the Reds would draft someone who would go 10-20 anyways and sign them for less than slot to save 2-3 million.

Superdude
07-11-2007, 01:13 AM
Of course the belief among many is that the Reds would draft someone who would go 10-20 anyways and sign them for less than slot to save 2-3 million.

If we do that, then Castellini officially loses all credibility.

dougdirt
07-11-2007, 01:18 AM
If we do that, then Castellini officially loses all credibility.

agreed.

Eric_Davis
07-11-2007, 02:06 AM
What's the difference? Is there an A-Rod or Junior out there? We skipped on Jeter when we had the chance. We're better off not getting a better pick, as we are more likely not able to draft the best player available anyway because of money issues.

dougdirt
07-11-2007, 03:14 AM
We didnt pass on Jeter for money, we passed on Jeter because we simply misjudged the talent. However I would love to see the reaction on Redszone if Jeter were drafted by the Reds today and he were to put up an OPS of .608 in the GCL like he did back in 1992. Man would there be some outrage going on.

Odds are there will not be another Junior or Arod for a long, long time. What those two did as prospects and then young major leaguers is unheard of. I contend that they were the #1 and #2 prospects in draft history (beginning in 1965) and in my lifetime, and probably before there was not a prospect who was better than either of them and its probably not that close.

Aronchis
07-11-2007, 05:19 AM
The Reds passed on Jeter because they had a Barry Larkin in his prime and needed power. The opposite of today eh?

Screwball
07-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Odds are there will not be another Junior or Arod for a long, long time. What those two did as prospects and then young major leaguers is unheard of. I contend that they were the #1 and #2 prospects in draft history (beginning in 1965) and in my lifetime, and probably before there was not a prospect who was better than either of them and its probably not that close.

Where would you rate Justin Upton? Coming into his draft, he was supposed to be in the "can't miss" mold of Jr. and A-Rod.

edabbs44
07-11-2007, 04:35 PM
We didnt pass on Jeter for money, we passed on Jeter because we simply misjudged the talent. However I would love to see the reaction on Redszone if Jeter were drafted by the Reds today and he were to put up an OPS of .608 in the GCL like he did back in 1992. Man would there be some outrage going on.

I don't see anyone complaining about a HS kid starting out slow. If you are comparing Jeter's situation to Stubbs', then you are off. Stubbs was a college kid coming from a major program. Much different than coming out of HS or the NAIA.

Benihana
07-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Mark Prior, Mark Teixeira, and Justin Upton were all probably in the next tier after A-Rod and Jr. You could argue that Delmon Young belongs in that list as well.

edabbs44
07-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Mark Prior, Mark Teixeira, and Justin Upton were all probably in the next tier after A-Rod and Jr. You could argue that Delmon Young belongs in that list as well.

Josh Hamilton.

Benihana
07-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Josh Hamilton.

yep. how could I forget? ;)

dougdirt
07-11-2007, 05:43 PM

Justin Upton is going to turn 20 years old this season. by the time Ken Griffey Jr was hitting .300/.366/.481 for an OPS + of 130. Arod at 20 had an OPS + of 160, both in the majors.

Upton, DY, MP, Teixeira were all good prospects and Upton is arguably the best prospect in baseball right now (with the others being Phil Hughes or Jay Bruce), but none of them were in the same conversation with Griffey or Arod.

dougdirt
07-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Where would you rate Justin Upton? Coming into his draft, he was supposed to be in the "can't miss" mold of Jr. and A-Rod.

Oh, Justin Upton is one heck of a prospect. Maybe the best in baseball. But see my post above and he isnt really comparable to the two of them. Every few years someone draws the Griffey/Arod comparison and each time I just sit back and laugh.

dougdirt
07-11-2007, 05:57 PM
I don't see anyone complaining about a HS kid starting out slow. If you are comparing Jeter's situation to Stubbs', then you are off. Stubbs was a college kid coming from a major program. Much different than coming out of HS or the NAIA.

No, I was not comparing it at all to Stubbs. I do think that a guy failing to post an OPS of .700 in the GCL though out of HS as a top 10 pick would have people around here going a little crazy though.

Benihana
07-11-2007, 11:23 PM
Justin Upton is going to turn 20 years old this season. by the time Ken Griffey Jr was hitting .300/.366/.481 for an OPS + of 130. Arod at 20 had an OPS + of 160, both in the majors.

Upton, DY, MP, Teixeira were all good prospects and Upton is arguably the best prospect in baseball right now (with the others being Phil Hughes or Jay Bruce), but none of them were in the same conversation with Griffey or Arod.

Hence I said "the next tier" after those guys.

dougdirt
07-12-2007, 12:57 AM
Hence I said "the next tier" after those guys.

Well if there was an A tier that included Griffey and Arod I dont think anyone is on the B tier. There would be a handful of guys on the C tier.

uoduck1017
07-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Updated through 7-22-07

Top five worst records:

1. Tampa Bay Devil Rays 38-60
2. Cincinnati Reds 41-58, 2.5 GB
3. Pittsburgh Pirates 41-56, 3.5 GB
4. San Francisco Giants 41-55, 4 GB
5. Houston Astros 42-56, 4 GB

The Devil Rays really want that #1 pick again. When OnBaseMachine started this thread on July 1st, they were 33-47. Like any good bad team does, they lost...a lot, capped off by allowing 3 touchdowns to the Yanks today. Good to see the NL Central representing these standings quite well.

TOBTTReds
07-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Updated through 7-22-07

Top five worst records:

The Devil Rays really want that #1 pick again. When OnBaseMachine started this thread on July 1st, they were 33-47. Like any good bad team does, they lost...a lot, capped off by allowing 3 touchdowns to the Yanks today. Good to see the NL Central representing these standings quite well.

With a pen like the DRays, they could be looking at the first pick for years to come. The pen is AWFUL. WOW.

jmcclain19
07-23-2007, 01:09 AM

Lets not pervert arguments or twist things Doug.

The list of HS hitters who struggled in Rookie ball yet made fine Major Leaguers is long and lengthy.

However, the list of College bats who did the same is almost non-existent.

dougdirt
07-23-2007, 01:32 AM
Lets not pervert arguments or twist things Doug.

The list of HS hitters who struggled in Rookie ball yet made fine Major Leaguers is long and lengthy.

However, the list of College bats who did the same is almost non-existent.

I never tried to compare Stubbs to Jeter.

Lets also note that Stubbs has been injured all season and that he has shown plenty of ability to put things together for prolonged stretches (likewise, he has shown the inability to do the same thing). If Stubbs were consistantly having months that were bad, then I would be more worried. Instead he has had 2 very good months, a bad month and then June where I am unsure what word to use to describe its .478 OPS.

Point is, the season is not over yet. Drew has plenty of time to keep his numbers on the rise. Ryan Howard didn't blow single A away as a 22 year old. He hit .280/.367/.469 as a first baseman. That is probably fairly similar position wise to what Stubbs is doing considering he plays one of the lightest hittng positions on the field. Drew has been tearing the cover off of the ball lately, OPSing over 1.100 for the month. Lets see where he takes it the rest of the season.

Degenerate39
07-23-2007, 01:49 AM
I've been trying to find who could possibly go early in the 2008 draft but I cant find anything. Anyone know where I can find this?

AmarilloRed
07-23-2007, 02:01 AM
Updated through 7-22-07

Top five worst records:

Agreed. We are going to have a lot of competition for no.2. Tampa Bay is going to run away with no.1

dougdirt
07-23-2007, 02:05 AM
I've been trying to find who could possibly go early in the 2008 draft but I cant find anything. Anyone know where I can find this?

www.projectprospect.com has a top 5 draft board up for next years eligible college draftees. Honestly though, its way to early to know who is going to where. Injuries, poor performance, guys breaking through.... lots of stuff can change.

Degenerate39
07-23-2007, 02:09 AM
www.projectprospect.com has a top 5 draft board up for next years eligible college draftees. Honestly though, its way to early to know who is going to where. Injuries, poor performance, guys breaking through.... lots of stuff can change.

Thanks for the site I just wanted to get an idea of who to watch.

REDblooded
08-03-2007, 02:41 PM
We're back in this thing! Currently, the Reds would hold the second pick. Any more series against the Nationals? We could lock this thing up within a week!

indy_dave00
08-03-2007, 02:48 PM
We already know if Scott Boras has the top rated prospect and the Reds get the 1st pick they won'ttake him.

dougdirt
08-03-2007, 03:00 PM
We already know if Scott Boras has the top rated prospect and the Reds get the 1st pick they won'ttake him.

We do?

REDblooded
08-03-2007, 03:07 PM
pedro alvarez is showing off teh skillz this summer.

dougdirt
08-03-2007, 03:07 PM
pedro alvarez is showing off teh skillz this summer.

This summer? You mean his entire life, lol.:D

He wont be around when we pick.

uoduck1017
08-03-2007, 03:26 PM

Hey, as long as we are in the top 2, we could get Matusz or Alvarez...sounds good to me.

AdamDunn
08-05-2007, 05:30 AM
Votto, Bailey, Bruce, Phillips, Hamilton, Cueto, and Alvarez to build around... sounds pretty wicked to me. Too bad Tim Linc... oh never mind ;)

tbball10
08-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Votto, Bailey, Bruce, Phillips, Hamilton, Cueto, and Alvarez to build around... sounds pretty wicked to me. Too bad Tim Linc... oh never mind ;)

edwin too.;)

indy_dave00
08-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Ok guess I should say unlikely we draft an overpriced Scot Boros kid in 1st round. I may be wrong but seems the last #1 and #2 picks that were Boras players the Reds took for David Espinosa and Dane Sardinah both were hard to sign . The Reds ending up giving both major league 3 year deals and had to be placed on the 40 man roster , both were free agents technically after those 3 years , Espinosa was traded to the Tigers and Dane released eventually.

Both are still at AAA at Toledo . The Reds at the time swore to never draft a Boras player , and I don't think they have since. Boras' players no matter where they are drafted still get early pick money . Stephen Drew just a couple years ago was drafted 5th I believe and ended up getting the biggest signing bonus of anyone in the draft.

Boras wants top money and escape clauses in all his contracts , I don't see the Reds even with new ownership messing with him.

REDblooded
08-05-2007, 01:06 PM

lol, true. He's a beast.

And he COULD be around when we pick, we just have to play better losing baseball.

Shaknb8k
08-05-2007, 01:29 PM
where can i find information about the 2008 draft "prospects"

edabbs44
08-05-2007, 02:18 PM

Why not? Tampa could be focused on pitching and Cincy has a very good shot at the #2 pick. If a top pitcher really seperates himself from the pack next spring, he might be sitting there at #2.

Gallen5862
08-05-2007, 03:28 PM
http://www.projectprospect.com/college-prospect-rankings-7300/

Project Prospect's College Prospect Rankings
7/31/07
by Adam Loberstein

Check back throughout the offseason as we add a new player to our College Prospect Rankings each week

No. Player Pos Notes Age YR TM CON
1 Pedro Alvarez 3B Patient power hitter has 40 HR through his two collegiate seasons 20.4 Jr. VAN SEC
2 Justin Smoak 1B Switch-hitter with a sweet, powerful stroke and good athleticism 20.6 Jr. SC ACC
3 Brian Matusz LHP Powerful lefty with the polish and stuff to be a dominant pro pitcher 20.4 Jr. SD WAC
4 Brett Wallace 1B Pac-10 2007 Player of the Year mashes with a sound plate approach 20.9 Jr. ASU Pac-10
5 Jemile Weeks 2B Good batting eye and baseball instincts; offers some speed, power 20.5 Jr. MIA ACC
6 Brandon Crawford SS Talented defender who hit .335/.405/.504 last season w/ 7 home runs 20.5 Jr. UCLA Pac-10
7 Tyson Ross RHP 6'5'', 215-pounder offers advanced secondary stuff & 90 MPH fastball 20.2 Jr. CAL Pac-10
8 Jacob Thompson RHP 6'6'', 190-pounder w/ a plus curve; K'd 101 vs. 32 BB in 114.0 '07 IP 20.7 Jr. UVA ACC
9 Lance Lynn RHP Big (6'5'', 260), powerful pitcher; 146 K vs. 44 BB in 123.1 IP last year 20.2 Jr. UMS SEC
* Ages are as of 8/6/07 (only draft-eligible players are considered)
** TM is the player's school
*** CON is the player's conference
**** Our rankings combine a player's ceiling with the odds that he'll reach it and favor recent production
<<< Click here to see our July 24th College Prospect Rankings
<<< Click here to discuss these rankings in our forums

With the 2007 MLB Draft in the past and next year’s installment a mere 11 months away, it’s never too early to get a head start on evaluating a new class of talent. To make sure that college baseball’s presence is felt year-round this offseason, Project Prospect will continue to preview the nation’s best collegiate talent by presenting College Prospect Rankings approximately every week. Each week will offer a longer list of rankings, as we build up to our weekly updated in-season Top 25 College Prospect Rankings.

9. Lance Lynn, RHP, Ole Miss (5/12/87)

Half man and half mountain, it is becoming harder and harder to overlook Lance Lynn in more ways than one. A 6-foot-5, 260-pound behemoth, Lynn would be garnering his fair share of attention for his gravitational displacement quotient alone. The Brownsburg, Ind. native allowed a mere 94 hits in 123.1 IP last season (.209 opponent's average), overpowering opponents by striking out 146 batters (10.67 K/9) while walking just 44 (3.22 BB/9). Pair his size, power arsenal, and statistical track record together and Lynn appears to be a force to be reckoned with.

icehole3
08-05-2007, 04:14 PM
I'd like to see the Reds draft pitchers with their first 5 picks, kids who throw hard.

Joseph
08-05-2007, 06:49 PM
I'd like to see the Reds draft pitchers with their first 5 picks, kids who throw hard.

I kind of agree with this.

Sure if a bat is there that rates considerably higher, fine.....but if things are equal, take the arm. Seems like in years passed we've always taken the bat.

edabbs44
08-05-2007, 07:58 PM
I kind of agree with this.

Sure if a bat is there that rates considerably higher, fine.....but if things are equal, take the arm. Seems like in years passed we've always taken the bat.

I third the motion. I was really disappointed when they used their first 2 this year on bats.

uoduck1017
08-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Updated through 8-5-07

Top five worst records:

1. Tampa Bay Devil Rays 42-68
2. Pittsburgh Pirates 44-64, 3 GB
3. Cincinnati Reds 47-64, 4.5 GB
4. San Francisco Giants 47-62, 5.5 GB
5. Texas Rangers 48-63, 5.5 GB

The Reds missed a golden opportunity to move ahead of Pittsburgh for second place. Hopefully the Dodgers can give us a spark and help get us back in second.

malcontent
08-06-2007, 06:52 PM
We had a shot until Griffey noticed Freel limping and felt compelled to inform MacNarron.

That 1-5 with a CS at the top of the lineup simply cannot be replaced.

Mario-Rijo
08-07-2007, 12:42 AM
We had a shot until Griffey noticed Freel limping and felt compelled to inform MacNarron.

That 1-5 with a CS at the top of the lineup simply cannot be replaced.

:laugh:

AmarilloRed
08-07-2007, 12:50 AM
Assuming we are unable or unwilling to sign the first 2 picks because they are Boras agents;would it be best to get the third pick in the draft?

Mario-Rijo
08-07-2007, 01:16 AM
Assuming we are unable or unwilling to sign the first 2 picks because they are Boras agents;would it be best to get the third pick in the draft?

Not necc what if the #2 team doesn't like Boras clients either. It happens every year. Lincecum last yr and Porcello this yr.

11larkin11
08-07-2007, 01:32 AM
BTW, did Porcello end up signing? He was drafted by the Yanks IIRC?

Mario-Rijo
08-07-2007, 02:09 AM

Not sure but he only has about 1 more week to get it done. Aug 15th is the last you can sign now, so they better get it done or he goes back into the draft. I'm sure the Tigers handed it out though, that's who drafted him 27th overall.

AdamDunn
08-20-2007, 04:24 AM
great... we can't even lose when we need to... we're not even last in our division anymore!!! grr..

uoduck1017
09-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Updated standings through Monday, September 10th

Top ten worst records:

1. Tampa Bay Devil Rays 61-83
2. Florida Marlins 61-83
3. Chicago White Sox 61-83
4. Baltimore Orioles 61-81, 1 GB
5. Houston Astros 62-81, 1.5 GB
6. Kansas City Royals 62-81, 1.5 GB
7. Pittsburgh Pirates 64-80, 3 GB
8. Cincinnati Reds 64-79, 3.5 GB
9. Washington Nationals 65-79, 4 GB
10. San Francisco Giants 65-79, 4 GB

All of a sudden, the Reds are only 3.5 games out of the top spot. The Orioles look like the team that has made the biggest drop (or climb, depending on how you look at it).

Screwball
09-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Hair-splitting question here, but instead of GB, shouldn't it be GA?

uoduck1017
09-11-2007, 09:03 PM
Hair-splitting question here, but instead of GB, shouldn't it be GA?

In terms of better record, yes. But in terms of better draft position, no.

Superdude
09-12-2007, 12:42 AM
BA is now calling it the Pedro Alavaraz sweepstakes. This is that point in the season where I want to see Dunn, Harang, Phillips...etc. keep doing their thing while the Shearn's and Majewski's of the world do poorly enough to lose the game for us. Maybe someday I can get through a whole season without adopting that perspective, but for now, I want Pedro like a chubby kid wants a fried dough ball.

TOBTTReds
09-12-2007, 10:37 AM
BA is now calling it the Pedro Alavaraz sweepstakes. This is that point in the season where I want to see Dunn, Harang, Phillips...etc. keep doing their thing while the Shearn's and Majewski's of the world do poorly enough to lose the game for us. Maybe someday I can get through a whole season without adopting that perspective, but for now, I want Pedro like a chubby kid wants a fried dough ball.

There are too many of those guys I want doing well to lose if all went my way.

Ham
Votto
Dunn
EdE
Harang
Phillips
Arroyo
Bray
Maj
Cout
McBeth

Superdude
09-12-2007, 11:29 PM
There are too many of those guys I want doing well to lose if all went my way.

Ham
Votto
Dunn
EdE
Harang
Phillips
Arroyo
Bray
Maj
Cout
McBeth

Outside of Majewski, I see your point. It's a vicious catch-22. Hopefully we can keep winning and just pick the best player in the draft 10 or so spots away from where they're theoretically supposed to go ala Jay Bruce.

fearofpopvol1
09-13-2007, 02:29 AM

It was the Tigers actually, and yes, they did ink him. And they paid WAY over slot money. Over $7 million I believe?

TOBTTReds
09-13-2007, 11:22 AM
It was the Tigers actually, and yes, they did ink him. And they paid WAY over slot money. Over $7 million I believe?

And a major league deal...yikes!

Outshined_One
09-13-2007, 02:15 PM
And a major league deal...yikes!

He's going to be worth the money and contract if he stays healthy. He probably would have gone Top 5 if he didn't have contract demands like that.

AmarilloRed
09-14-2007, 02:23 AM
Pete has to start losing games if he wants that top draft pick.;)

Kc61
09-29-2007, 01:29 AM
This weekend will say a lot about Reds draft status. Just glancing at the standings, they can get the sixth pick, if things go the "right" way this weekend. Or they can slide to the 10th pick, perhaps even a bit lower.

There are three other teams which, like the Reds, have 89 losses. The White Sox, Astros, and Giants. If they win some games, it could help the Reds' draft placement. There are some other teams with 90 or 91 losses, wins by them could possibly help the Reds move up.

If you are inclined to root for high draft placement, of course, it is bad that the Cubs clinched tonight. Less incentive for the Cubs to win Saturday and Sunday. And I'd like to see Harang and Bailey do well, regardless of the impact on the draft.

Still, this should be a very exciting weekend for Reds fans (not serious).

Gallen5862
09-29-2007, 01:44 PM
The White sox and Reds are tied with 71-89 records which is a update over this article. This does not show the Giants loss which makes their record 70-90.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=236
Devil Rays Get First Pick In 2008 Draft
Posted Sep. 28, 2007 1:09 pm by Ben Badler
Filed under: Draft Dope

With its 3-1 loss yesterday to the Yankees, Tampa Bay clinched the first overall pick in the 2008 draft.

The Devil Rays (65-94) are three games "behind" the Royals, the Pirates and the Orioles (all 68-91) with three games left in the season for each team. Although those teams could potentially all finish with the same record, the Devil Rays would still get the first overall pick due to the tiebreaker rules. The tiebreaker for the draft order is that the team with the worse record the previous year gets the higher pick, giving the Devil Rays a lock on the top pick in June.

If the Royals, Pirates and Orioles all finish tied for the second-worst record in baseball, the Royals would pick second, the Pirates would pick third and the Orioles would pick fourth.

The Marlins (69-90), Giants (70-89) and White Sox (70-89) are also still in the mix for the No. 2 pick. The Reds (71-88) and Astros (71-88) both still have a chance at the No. 3 pick.

The 2008 draft will be the Devil Rays’ second consecutive year with the first pick in the draft. They are the first team to have back-to-back No. 1 picks, and it’s also the ninth consecutive season they’ve had a top-10 pick. If Tampa Bay has a top-10 pick next year they will tie the Expos (1970-1979) and Mariners (1978-1987) for the longest stretches of top 10 picks.

The Devil Rays selected Vanderbilt lefthander David Price this year, and they may take his former teammate on the Commodores, third baseman Pedro Alvarez, with the top pick in 2008. Among the other early favorites to go off the board after the first few selections are South Carolina first baseman Justin Smoak, San Diego lefthander Brian Matusz, Missouri righthander Aaron Crow, Missouri high school righthander Tim Melville and Georgia high school shortstop Tim Beckham.

The upcoming draft will be the fourth time since the Devil Rays’ inaugural draft in 1999 that the franchise will have the No. 1 pick. No team has ever had the top pick in consecutive seasons. Only the Mets and Padres have had more No. 1 picks (five) than the Devil Rays since the inception of the draft.

The following is a list of the teams ranked by the worst records in baseball, along with their records and their opponents for their final three games of the season.
Race To The Bottom
1. Devil Rays (65-94) (Blue Jays)
2. Royals (68-91) (Indians)
3. Pirates (68-91) (Cardinals)
4. Orioles (68-91) (Yankees)
5. Marlins (69-90) (Mets)
6. Giants (70-89) (Dodgers)
7. White Sox (70-89) (Tigers)
8. Reds (71-88) (Cubs)
9. Astros (71-88) (Braves)
10. Nationals (72-87) (Phillies)

This entry was posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 at 1:09 pm by Ben

mth123
09-29-2007, 02:02 PM
Updated

1. Devil Rays (65-95) (Blue Jays)
2. Royals (68-92) (Indians)
3. Pirates (68-92) (Cardinals)
4. Orioles (69-91) (Yankees)
5. Marlins (70-90) (Mets)
6. Giants (70-90) (Dodgers)
7. White Sox (71-89) (Tigers)
8. Reds (71-89) (Cubs)
9. Astros (71-89) (Braves)
10. Nationals (72-88) (Phillies)

Looks like the "best" the Reds could do is tie for 4th. Not sure how a tie with the Orioles would be handled. (Its probably somewhere back in this thread, but I'm too lazy to go back and look.)

Raise your hand if you thought 9 teams would finish with worse records than the Nationals.

Degenerate39
09-29-2007, 02:29 PM
The Devil Rays are going to be stacked one day

OnBaseMachine
09-29-2007, 08:40 PM
If the White Sox win one of their final two games then the Reds are guarenteed the #7 pick at worst. If the Reds lose tomorrow and the Giants win tonight and tomorrow then the Reds would get the #6 pick.

OnBaseMachine
09-30-2007, 12:12 AM
White Sox won tonight vs the Tigers. The Reds are now guaranteed either the #6 or 7 pick. Most likely it will be the number seven pick unless the Reds lose tomorrow and the Giants win tonight and tomorrow.

OnBaseMachine
09-30-2007, 01:32 PM
The Reds will have the #7 pick in the draft next year.

OnBaseMachine
09-30-2007, 01:57 PM
The 7th overall pick with guarantee that the Reds will get a shot at one of the following studs: 3B Pedro Alvarez, LHP Brian Matusz, RHP Aaron Crow, LHP Kyle Lobstein, SS Tim Beckham, 1B Yonder Alonso, OF/RHP Aaron Hicks.

I would love to grab Matusz if he were to fall that far, if not, Tim Beckham is a stud SS who I would love to have.

New Fever
09-30-2007, 02:08 PM
OBM, you forgot about Justin Smoak, who should go either 2nd or 3rd if the draft was right now. The Reds will have a shot at a very good prospect with the 7th pick.

dougdirt
09-30-2007, 02:27 PM
Its way too early to guess where anyone will go. Injuries, bad performances, break out guys....

Gallen5862
09-30-2007, 05:01 PM
The good thing is at least a chance for the Reds to grab a very good prospect and improve the farm system even more. I hope the draft is televised again in June 2008.

lollipopcurve
09-30-2007, 06:04 PM
Early Baseball America rumblings are that there won't be above average value in the top 10. Who knows.... Let's hope the class of 08 comes on strong.

GoReds33
09-30-2007, 06:10 PM
This is the only positive thing I can grab from our terrible record. I just hope they make the right choice.