PDA

View Full Version : Narron exits with class

jimbo
07-02-2007, 12:39 AM
Narron speaks

Jerry Narron, always the Southern gentleman, returned my call a few minutes ago. He was upbeat. Part of baseball like is getting fired. Here's what he said:

"As a baseball person, I appreciated the chance to manage the Cincinnati Reds. I can't tell you how much that meant to me. It's a great organization, it's a great city. The fans are great.

"I'm sorry our about record. I've said we're close to being a good ballclub. We were in every game. I'm disappointed we don't have a better record. I appreciate the effort of the players. They did not quit in the least bit. They battled when we'd get down. They never gave up."

"I appreciate the opportunity that Bob Castellini and Tom and Joe Williams gave me. They've been nothing be great to me."

Narron met with Wayne Krvisky after the game Sunday, and then with Bob Castellini.

"It's a critical period for the Reds -- the next six months," Narron said. "I hope Wayne Krivsky can get the job done. This club could go from worst to first. The nucleus is there. It just needs a little tweaking."

Narron said he'll eventually return home to North Carolina.

"I enjoyed my time here," he said. "I love the town. It's a great baseball town. I appreciate the support I've gotten from the fans."

Narron's brother, Johnny, is the club's video coordinator. Will he stay on?

"That's up to Johnny and Mr. Castellini," Narron said. "In no way, shape or form was he hired because he's my brother. He's one of the hardest workers we've got. I appreciate the effort of everyone on the coaching. I hope me getting fired doesn't affect them."

John Fay

With all of the celebration of the firing on the board and threads discussing opinions of his worst managerial decisions, I thought I'd start a thread that involved something positive. You can criticize him all you want, and that is our right as fans, but I always thought Jerry Narron was class act and a good man. On the day he gets fired, he still has nothing but good things to say about his players, the city, the fans, and the organization. I'd just like to wish him the best of luck wherever he goes next. If he ever manages again, I hope he gets a team with enough ability to actually compete for something.

Good luck Jerry.

reds44
07-02-2007, 12:43 AM
He's a class guy and wish him the best wherever he goes.

That doesn't change the fact he was a horrible manager.

jimbo
07-02-2007, 12:44 AM
That doesn't change the fact he was a horrible manager.

Opinion, not fact.

reds44
07-02-2007, 12:48 AM
Opinion, not fact.
You think he was a good manager?

Look at the record with the Reds and Rangers. Bad.

jimbo
07-02-2007, 12:57 AM
You think he was a good manager?

Look at the record with the Reds and Rangers. Bad.

Look at the talent on both of those teams. There isn't a manager anywhere that could have won with either of those teams. A manager has to have a certain level of talent in order to put a winning team on the field.

I don't think he was a great manager, but not nearly as bad as many here make him up to be. As I said before, Jerry Narron was not the reason why this team sucked, not even a small reason why. Look at Terry Francona for example. He managed the Phillies for 4 years and his best season was 77-85, pretty mediocre, and I best most Phillies fans at the time spoke about him in the same manner that many Reds fans talk about Narron. Give him the Boston Red Sox and he wins a World Series. Why? Because he had the talent.

reds44
07-02-2007, 01:01 AM
Look at the talent on both of those teams. There isn't a manager anywhere that could have won with either of those teams.

As I said before, Jerry Narron was not the reason why this team sucked, not even a small reason why.
Opinon, not fact.

Vada Pinson Fan
07-02-2007, 01:05 AM
YES, Jerry Narron is a gentleman in the truest sense of the word! I wish him the best! Sorry Jerry that it didn't work out here for you, but this team is not the kind of team you need to succeed. I would like to see how you'd manage the Mariners. Now that Hargrove has left the Mariners... who knows about that team's short and longterm plans for a manager in Seattle?

Screwball
07-02-2007, 01:10 AM
John Fay

With all of the celebration of the firing on the board and threads discussing opinions of his worst managerial decisions, I thought I'd start a thread that involved something positive. You can criticize him all you want, and that is our right as fans, but I always thought Jerry Narron was class act and a good man. On the day he gets fired, he still has nothing but good things to say about his players, the city, the fans, and the organization. I'd just like to wish him the best of luck wherever he goes next. If he ever manages again, I hope he gets a team with enough ability to actually compete for something.

Good luck Jerry.

Well, as someone who chimed in on the "worst Narron moves" thread, I feel it's only fair to tip my hat to JN for handling this with class. He could've talked about scapegoating or the such, but he stayed above that. Kudos to him.

jimbo
07-02-2007, 01:23 AM
Opinon, not fact.

Not really. All you really have to look at is the stats for the seasons he has managed for the Rangers and the Reds and it is obvious he has not had much to work with, especially pitching.

reds44
07-02-2007, 01:23 AM
Not really. All you really have to look at is the stats for the seasons he has managed for the Rangers and the Reds and it is obvious he has not had much to work with, especially pitching.
Who is to say he hasn't contributed to bad pitching with his use of pitchers?

jimbo
07-02-2007, 01:34 AM
Who is to say he hasn't contributed to bad pitching with his use of pitchers?

That's just a real stretch in my opinion. The vast majority of pitchers that Narron has had to manage has been bad whever they played. Just looking at his 2001 Rangers team, he had only one starter with an ERA of under 5.00. Hard to believe that was all the manager's fault. But I'm sure the Narron haters will come to that conclusion.

But enough of arguing this. I meant this thread to be on the positive side. This can be discussed in all of the other threads.

ChatterRed
07-02-2007, 02:58 AM
I will agree he exited with class. How a person handles themself in situations like this says alot about who they are.

He may have made some bad decisions, and that may make him a bad manager..........but obviously he was a good guy.

Carolina Red
07-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Any news as to where Jerry Narron or Bucky F. Dent are headed?

Jerry Narron
07-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Any news as to where Jerry Narron or Bucky F. Dent are headed?

I'll probably be headed back to my family and hope to get a job in baseball next season.

Chi-Town Red
07-16-2007, 07:08 PM
I'll probably be headed back to my family and hope to get a job in baseball next season.whats ur take on trading Dunn, Jerry??

Jerry Narron
07-17-2007, 08:26 AM
whats ur take on trading Dunn, Jerry??
Adam Dunn is one heck of a ball player and is a great guy to have in the clubhouse. If the Reds can get a few top prospects in return, I can see Wayne making a deal.

bounty37h
07-17-2007, 10:47 AM
^Hahaha. Jerry? Is this really you? If so, wanna catch a Durham Bulls game one night, tix my treat!!

WMR
07-17-2007, 11:33 AM
Just as long as he exits.