PDA

View Full Version : Which young Reds reliever(s) will be quality MLB pitchers

The Snow Chief
07-02-2007, 08:17 AM
By qaulity I mean a career ERA around or below the MLB average.

The candidates:

Salmon
Coutlangus
McBeth
Coffey
Bray

I'll say Bray, McBeth, and Salmon

Screwball
07-02-2007, 09:55 AM
Hoenstly, I could see all of them having around a 4.37 ERA (league average). Although I'm least confident in Coutlangus (too wild) and Bray (how will the injury affect him?), and most confident in Todd Coffey. But the young reliever I like the most is Jared Burton. Like Cooter, he's on the wild side but I really like the kid's stuff. I think he can be a solid set-up man for the Reds in the future.

mound_patrol
07-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Hoenstly, I could see all of them having around a 4.37 ERA (league average). Although I'm least confident in Coutlangus (too wild) and Bray (how will the injury affect him?), and most confident in Todd Coffey. But the young reliever I like the most is Jared Burton. Like Cooter, he's on the wild side but I really like the kid's stuff. I think he can be a solid set-up man for the Reds in the future.

We have to remember that coutlangus is new to pitching. So hopefully with more time and experience the wildness will be tamed.

CySeymour
07-02-2007, 10:25 AM
I have to wonder if Coffey will be around too much longer. He has a decent contract, and I wouldn't bet totally surprised to see him moved in a package deal in the off season.

Screwball
07-02-2007, 10:38 AM
We have to remember that coutlangus is new to pitching. So hopefully with more time and experience the wildness will be tamed.

True, but while he does have a good breaking ball, he doesn't have the power arm the other guys have (although being a lefty certainly helps). I think he could eventually be a very effective LOOGY (he's already holding them to a line of .186/.368/.209/.577), but he needs to throw them strikes (12 of his 17 BBs have been to LHB). Perhaps his command will come around as he gains more experience, but with the "herky jerky" wind-up (as Welsh loves to say), I'm not quite as confident with him as I am with others I mentioned. JMHO though.

HokieRed
07-02-2007, 10:49 AM
These guys are all going to be short term relievers probably (Bray maybe not) so we need an average figure for ERA that derives from short-term relievers. That surely has to be a lot lower than 4.37.

Ahhhorsepoo
07-02-2007, 12:20 PM
If they each only have to pitch 1 inning every 3 days they could all be decent pitchers.. but we need to get a manager who doesnt want them just to face one batter EVERYTIME they come in..