PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Do If You Are Pete Mackanin?

JLB5
07-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Well, you just got handed the reigns to the worst team in baseball. What do you do to "shake things up?"

I would immediately implement a consistent everyday lineup of:

Hamilton
Edwin
Griff
Dunn
Phillips
Hattenine
Gozo
Ross

I would move Coffey to the setup role, nobody else has gotten it done and at least he has experience and a short memory.

Not much else you can do until the team starts making major moves.

Trace's Daddy
07-03-2007, 01:17 PM
It's funny to read that a consistent lineup would shake things up - but you're right!

reds44
07-03-2007, 01:23 PM
I'd flip Hatteberg and Hamilton in you're lineup, but other then that it looks great.

When Hatteberg is traded in Votto comes up.
Hamilton
Edwin
Griffey
Dunn
Phillips
Votto
Gonzalez
Ross

durl
07-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Narron's lineups over the past couple of weeks were very consistent and it didn't seem to help (I went back to 6/23). Other than a game or two where Conine was in the lineup, it was:

Hatteburg (Hopper)
Phillips
Griffey
Dunn
EE
Hamilton
Gonzalez
Ross (or other catcher)

Honestly, I'd just tell the players that I want to win and win now. What's done is done and the only thing they can affect is the future. If they don't want to be the worst team in baseball, then start acting like it. Just challenge them to show what they're made of.

Screwball
07-03-2007, 03:37 PM
Narron's lineups over the past couple of weeks were very consistent and it didn't seem to help (I went back to 6/23).

Great point, durl. I've long thought lineup construction is overrated (as long as the pitcher isn't batting cleanup) and has much more to do with whom it's constructed with.

At any rate, it doesn't really matter much as any lead the Reds get is subject to being given right back to the other team in the very next inning. Same story, different year for the 2000 era Reds.

durl
07-03-2007, 04:36 PM
At any rate, it doesn't really matter much as any lead the Reds get is subject to being given right back to the other team in the very next inning. Same story, different year for the 2000 era Reds.

I'm with you there.

I'd be curious to see a stat showing the runs allowed in the next half-inning after the Reds score. Maybe it's not that different from other teams but it sure seems like they're always giving up runs right away.