PDA

View Full Version : Do the Reds really have no better option in the minors than Michael Gosling?

Dunner44
07-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Two scoreless innings have now gotten his ERA below 6, but how is it that there is not someone better in AAA to come up and pitch out of the pen than him? My biggest grip with Gosling is his WHIP, which after the 7th inning yesterday was a nice, even 3.0. Yes, he got out of the 8th only allowing one hit/walk, lowering the number to 2.68, but that is disgusting. That means that at the very least (on average), Gosling loads the bases every time he comes up to pitch.

He is partly saved by the fact that he has 10 Ks in 6.1 innings, but his K/BB is 1.25, not a good number by any means. Right handed hitters are slugging .714 off him, so there is no reason he should be anything other than a LOOGY. (How the heck was he a starter if he can't touch righties?). Do the Reds really have no better option in the minors than Gosling? If so, heaven help us all.

reds44
07-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Gosling will go down when Bray is healthy, which will be sson.

keeganbrick
07-04-2007, 11:04 PM
IMO Coutlangus should only be a LOOGY, but thats how desperate this team is at the moment.

TheWalls
07-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Bray and Stanton being on the DL has the lefty element of the pen totally out of position. When they return, Gosling goes back to starting in AAA and Coot goes to being the 3rd best lefty option in the pen or back to AAA.

CySeymour
07-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Bray and Stanton being on the DL has the lefty element of the pen totally out of position. When they return, Gosling goes back to starting in AAA and Coot goes to being the 3rd best lefty option in the pen or back to AAA.

Yesterday, Marty made a comment that you have to wonder if Bray will ever pitch again. Was he just being sarcastic or serious?

Redsnake
07-05-2007, 03:38 PM
The Reds don't have to even look in the minors he's already on the clubs as we speak, his name is Belisle. He keeps pitching his way right into the bullpen. And too be honest I like the idea.

Orenda
07-06-2007, 11:00 AM
I haven't gotten a chance to see Gosling's last few outings, other then I was in attendance at the cardinals game when he got brought in by Narron to get a lefty, that being said. I've been more impressed then him then with Coutlangus. I know its a short time frame and I might be biased after seeing him make Howard and Utley look foolish in his one outing. But he has a little more zip on his fastball and Im a fan of his delivery. Coffey didnt do him any favors when he served up that double with the bases loaded to his first batter against the Phillies. Given the state of this team, I'd give him at least 15 innings before I sent him out.

AmarilloRed
07-07-2007, 02:42 AM
It is a mystery to me why Salmon went down and Gosling didn't.

TheOnlyRedsFan
07-07-2007, 06:17 AM
isnt Guardado close to returning too?
thats another lefty in the mix