PDA

View Full Version : Griffey says no to derby

He got it!
07-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Just reported on Sportscenter... both Griffey and Bonds say no to participate in Home Run Derby.

I don't have a problem with it - remember what it did to Bobby Abreau's swing?

jimbo
07-05-2007, 06:28 PM
I am kind of glad he declined the offer. With as healthy he has been and as tuned in he is at the plate, I'd hate to see all of that screwed up by hitting in a meaningless home run derby. Leave it for the younger guys.

TheOnlyRedsFan
07-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Am I the only one that wishes the All-Star game and the HR derby were held at the end of the season, just like football?

reds44
07-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Boo.

Degenerate39
07-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Am I the only one that wishes the All-Star game and the HR derby were held at the end of the season, just like football?

How would the All-Star game determine home field advantage for the World Series then?

TheOnlyRedsFan
07-05-2007, 07:00 PM
It could determine that advantage for the next season.

Chi-Town Red
07-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Just reported on Sportscenter... both Griffey and Bonds say no to participate in Home Run Derby.

I don't have a problem with it - remember what it did to Bobby Abreau's swing?
GRIFFEY has won 3 times...he has a natural homerun swing.....i wish he would reconsider

LvJ
07-05-2007, 07:40 PM
How would the All-Star game determine home field advantage for the World Series then? It shouldn't.

TheOnlyRedsFan
07-05-2007, 07:48 PM
I agree. It should be done for the fun of it.

UC_Ken
07-05-2007, 10:35 PM
All Star game after the season? No way. It's a good break to a long regular season.

HR derby afterward? I think that would be cool. The Monday after the regular season and before the playoffs start have the best players on non-playoff teams come together for some sort of a skills competition to get everyone pumped for the playoffs. I think this could be a good idea.

mound_patrol
07-05-2007, 10:45 PM
I'd hate to see griffey do the homerun derby and mess his swing up...that might keep us out of the playoffs.

fielder's choice
07-05-2007, 10:59 PM
I'd hate to see griffey do the homerun derby and mess his swing up...that might keep us out of the playoffs.

Yea thats the last thing we need for our playoff run.

steig
07-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Home Run derby isn't worth watching or holding if Griffey isn't a participant. He has the most natural swing for a HR contest and it doesn't hurt his swing for the second half of the season. He should be willing to give the fans a show, who knows if he will get back to a future all star game.

jimbo
07-05-2007, 11:10 PM
Home Run derby isn't worth watching or holding if Griffey isn't a participant. He has the most natural swing for a HR contest and it doesn't hurt his swing for the second half of the season.

I just strongly disagree. I don't think it matters how natural your swing is, you can screw up your timing and mechanics by hitting in a contest under the conditions of a home run contest. And that's not even mentioning the injury risk considering his age and history. Just not worth it in my opinion.

Vada Pinson Fan
07-05-2007, 11:16 PM
I'm glad Griffey declined. Too many guys get their swing messed up when returning to the regular season. Griff's having a nice year so why screw it up with the homerun derby? Jr. has won it before so there's no challenge or need to do that again.

steig
07-06-2007, 04:33 PM
I just strongly disagree. I don't think it matters how natural your swing is, you can screw up your timing and mechanics by hitting in a contest under the conditions of a home run contest. And that's not even mentioning the injury risk considering his age and history. Just not worth it in my opinion.

Joe Morgan believes in Griffey's natural swing for home run derbies enough to always claim that he would chose Griffey in any home run contest.

Orenda
07-07-2007, 08:40 AM
How long has Jr. been playing baseball? Oh you mean a few rounds of launching baseballs is going to mess his swing up huh? Give me a break, I dont buy that. I think he should participate, maybe hit a couple and pull off a few he's not likely to win the thing anyways... o well

bearcatfan24
07-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Good move on Griffey's part we will need him rested for the rest of the season. Otherwise it is basically glorified batting practice

DTCromer
07-07-2007, 10:57 AM
What? How come no one has criticized Bonds yet?

Shocking.

jimbo
07-07-2007, 12:30 PM
How long has Jr. been playing baseball? Oh you mean a few rounds of launching baseballs is going to mess his swing up huh? Give me a break, I dont buy that.

Hitting a baseball coming at you from 60 ft. away and up to 90+ mph is the hardest thing to do in all of sports and there are so many important aspects of a swing that have to be in tune. It isn't like riding a bike. So altering your swing for a home run derby can most definitely mess up your game swing and is a big reason why some players do not like participating in it.

Farney
07-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Yea just look how bad all of those derbies in the past have ruined his swing....

Orenda
07-07-2007, 08:05 PM
Hitting a baseball coming at you from 60 ft. away and up to 90+ mph is the hardest thing to do in all of sports and there are so many important aspects of a swing that have to be in tune. It isn't like riding a bike. So altering your swing for a home run derby can most definitely mess up your game swing and is a big reason why some players do not like participating in it.

Who's saying to alter his swing? What about Ryan Howard? Those arent 90 mph fastball that are being thrown up there either... So maybe he would need to put in some more bp afterwards, but I'm not buying your arguement. Would an aged Jordan beat Kobe Bryant or Vince Carter in a dunk contest? I'd be ok if he said he had nothing to gain by it... but he just says personal reasons.

jimbo
07-07-2007, 11:26 PM
Who's saying to alter his swing? What about Ryan Howard? Those arent 90 mph fastball that are being thrown up there either.

It's pretty obvious that if you are swinging for the fences in a home run derby, you are going to have to alter your timing, and/or mechanics, and/or your approach to a degree. You have a totally different goal than when you are hitting in a game-time situation and that calls for a different approach.

I'm not saying that every hitter who competes in the home run derby will come out of it with problems, but there have been participants in the past who have admitted their swing was messed up for a while afterwards.

Hitting, especially at the major league level, isn't just as simple as walking up there and swinging a bat. It's just like a pitcher who struggles because of one little flaw in their delivery, arm slot, stride, etc.

I'm sorry if you don't "buy" it, but I'm also sure that many people who have either coached, managed, or played extensively will agree with me. It looks like Joe Torre and A-Rod agree.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070623&content_id=2044073&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

I've worked hard for my swing and I definitely don't want to let anything get in the way of it.

"There are no good habits you can have [from participating]," Torre said.

Mets hitting coach Rick Down agrees.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spminside065282938jul06,0,1702935.story?coll=ny-mets-print

Down wouldn't tell anyone what to do as far as the Derby is concerned, but you get the impression that he's not a big fan. Not when one night of hacking away at BP pitches has the potential of undoing the meticulous work of the previous five months.

Orenda
07-08-2007, 08:01 AM
What if he went and hit 10 pitches...shrugged his shoulders and said its an honor to be here? I think your really short changing the work ethic of an all-star professional baseball player. Ur right some don't think its worth it. But the event will go on and I must assume according to your argument, that the players involved are biting the bullet for baseball and fans.

jimbo
07-08-2007, 12:16 PM
I think your really short changing the work ethic of an all-star professional baseball player.

It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with work ethic. I'm not sure where you are getting that as I never implied it.

If anything, I defend Griffey's work ethic when it gets questioned here. It's just that work ethic has nothing to do with this argument.

Orenda
07-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Your right, my fault. What I meant is that with all the work Jr. has put into his swing over the course of his career I don’t think one round of a homerun derby would lead to a huge slump. Certainly not something a few rounds of bp couldn’t get corrected. You are right I have never played extensively but I believe that with focus on his mechanics and allowing his developed muscle memory to take over he'd be fine. I may have made more of an issue then was there over the event; after all he is a man and must make his own decisions on things that affect his interests. If he did participate it would have given me a reason to tune in.