PDA

View Full Version : Reds '07 3rd Round pick SS Neftali Soto's Nuclear Professional Start

jmcclain19
07-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Anyone else watching this?

2007 3rd round pick SS Neftali Soto is just putting up Playstation like numbers in the GCL right now

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Neftali%2520Soto&pos=SS&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=519304

53PA - .429AVG/.463OBP/.592SLG/1055OPS - 0HR, 6Doub, 1Trip

Small sample size alert, so he may just fall off the map and we'll never hear of him again. But I can't think of any better way to start off a pro career.

dougdirt
07-05-2007, 11:15 PM
He has been fairly incredible so far this season. While you would like to see some more walks, there is very little you can complain about when he is hitting everything near the plate to the tune of a .429 average.

Mario-Rijo
07-05-2007, 11:17 PM
Can't do much but sit back and enjoy. And hope his stats don't completely drop off at some point.

TOBTTReds
07-05-2007, 11:44 PM
He has been fairly incredible so far this season. While you would like to see some more walks, there is very little you can complain about when he is hitting everything near the plate to the tune of a .429 average.

Appearantly they are throwing him hittable pitches, so there is nothing wrong with that (I know you know this). The real sign will be when he comes back to Earth to see if he takes walks when he hits around .300.

RedEye
07-05-2007, 11:45 PM
You'd like to see a bit more power, too. Although I suppose he's so young that he'll gain strength and those doubles will start turning into homeruns. How nice would it be to have another red-hot hitting prospect to complement The Boss?

Superdude
07-06-2007, 12:37 AM
I like Soto, but keep in mind this is 12 games in the Gulf Coast.

BoydsOfSummer
07-06-2007, 12:43 AM
cross your fingers that he's not 21.

Mario-Rijo
07-06-2007, 01:39 AM

Oh the Milton post now this, are you trying to ruin my week? :p:

But seriously I hope that isn't the case, it's one thing I hadn't thought of.

dougdirt
07-06-2007, 02:31 AM

I don't recall that being a problem coming out of Puerto Rico.

OesterPoster
07-06-2007, 07:44 AM
Doug, is Soto a "pure" shortstop, or is he another guy who gets moved to a corner spot or the outfield? It seems like the Reds have a ton of guys who can play short, but aren't really shortstops (Valaika, Cozart, Frazier, just to name a few).

Steve4192
07-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Doug, is Soto a "pure" shortstop, or is he another guy who gets moved to a corner spot or the outfield? It seems like the Reds have a ton of guys who can play short, but aren't really shortstops (Valaika, Cozart, Frazier, just to name a few).

Soto is viewed as a corner guy. Ditto for Frazier. Cozart is different animal. He has a chance to stick at SS because of his hands despite being just average in range and arm strength.

Mario-Rijo
07-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Soto is viewed as a corner guy. Ditto for Frazier. Cozart is different animal. He has a chance to stick at SS because of his hands despite being just average in range and arm strength.

Really I hadn't heard that about Soto. :(

Steve4192
07-06-2007, 09:58 AM
You'd like to see a bit more power, too. Although I suppose he's so young that he'll gain strength and those doubles will start turning into homeruns.

The GCL is a tough place to hit the longball. Last year, no one on the GCL Reds hit more than three taters, and even the much ballyhooed Jay Bruce could only manage five big flies in his GCL stint back in 2005.

When it comes to evaluating GCL power numbers, I am much more interested in the % of hits that go for extra bases, and Soto is doing just fine in that regard.

Steve4192
07-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Really I hadn't heard that about Soto. :(

From his MLB.com scouting report:

Fielding: He has long actions in the field and might need to move from shortstop.

Arm Strength: Soto has an average arm.

Range: Despite having good speed, he doesn't have the first-step quickness to have the range needed to stay at shortstop.

Strengths: He's got a good overall package of tools, with power projection being the best one.

Weaknesses: He doesn't have the defensive game to stay at shortstop.

Summary: Soto has an intriguing package of tools that includes raw power and above-average speed. Currently a shortstop, he doesn't profile as a guy who'll be able to stay there, particularly range-wise. That's OK, because his offensive skill set fits better at third. He should hit enough for the position and could develop into a No. 5 or 6 hitter in a big-league lineup.

Superdude
07-06-2007, 10:21 AM
I thought Cozart was supposed to be some kind of defensive wiz. If he is barely passable at short, can someone explain to me why he was a second round pick?

IslandRed
07-06-2007, 10:58 AM
I thought Cozart was supposed to be some kind of defensive wiz. If he is barely passable at short, can someone explain to me why he was a second round pick?

In the draft, there aren't a lot of shortstops whose ability to stick at the position all the way to the big-league level is generally accepted. Cozart is one of them -- I have no idea where you got the notion that not being the next coming of Ozzie Smith makes him "barely passable" -- and he hits better than most of that group. That's how a guy ends up being taken in the second round, right about where most draftniks thought he would.

Benihana
07-06-2007, 11:45 AM
From the scouting reports I saw it appears Soto's bat was always considered his biggest strength. Similar to Valaika, it appears he projects defensively as a 2B or 3B at the major league level. I'm pretty excited about this guy.

Steve4192
07-06-2007, 06:17 PM

He's better than barely passable. Average range + average arm + elite hands make him a pretty solid defensive SS, just not a flashy one.

Referring to a SS as having average range &/or arm is no insult, as that position is stocked with guys who have crazy range/arms. Just being average at that position is quite an accomplishment.