PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Humans vs. Computers

Screwball
07-07-2007, 02:32 PM
My roomate and I have had an ongoing discussion (argument) about whether or not umpires should be replaced with a computerized system (e.g. Questec) to call balls and strikes. Personally, I say umpries should stay as they are an integral part of the game and tradition. He staunchly disgarees, saying the calls they blow make certain situations, and therefor games, unfair. It actually is a pretty intersting debate, and I'd like to know what RZers think.

So what say you? Human umps or computerized systems to call balls and strikes? Why did you choose one over the other?

George Anderson
07-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Umpires do much more than call balls and strikes. There are many more aspects of the game that umpires rule on for example a checked swing. With your roomates proposal of no home plate umpire or base umpires for that matter, are we going to hold up the game everytime a batter checks his swing so that we can check the cameras or the computer to see if the batter swung or not?? If an inside pitch comes in inches from the batter, how often do we stop the game to check if the pitch hit him or not?? There are just way to many aspects of the game that cannot be delayed so that we can get the opinion of a machine or camera as to what the call may be.

Umpires blow calls all the time just as players and managers blow plays all the time, its just part of the game. Despite many bad calls over the years, I really think the current crop of MLB umpires out there are really pretty good!!

Screwball
07-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Umpires do much more than call balls and strikes. There are many more aspects of the game that umpires rule on for example a checked swing. With your roomates proposal of no home plate umpire or base umpires for that matter, are we going to hold up the game everytime a batter checks his swing so that we can check the cameras or the computer to see if the batter swung or not?? If an inside pitch comes in inches from the batter, how often do we stop the game to check if the pitch hit him or not?? There are just way to many aspects of the game that cannot be delayed so that we can get the opinion of a machine or camera as to what the call may be.

Umpires blow calls all the time just as players and managers blow plays all the time, its just part of the game. Despite many bad calls over the years, I really think the current crop of MLB umpires out there are really pretty good!!

Ah, that's a good point and I should have specified. When I say umpires, I'm strictly referrring to home plate umpires. There will still be umps at 1st, 2nd and 3rd for check swings, plays at those bases and the like, and plays at the plate would probably be decided by a 1st base ump covering home for the play (or something to that effect).

I just want to know if people would rather prefer computers or a human ump to call balls and strikes at home plate (and why one way or the other).

rotnoid
07-07-2007, 03:06 PM
It seems to me that bad calls have always been a part of the game, whether a ball/strike call at home or a safe/out call at second base. So, where do we stop? Is the whole umpiring crew going to be automated one day? Why not just let the teams play the game on XBox and forget about the actual game?

I had a physics professor in college that would often go on about the problems of removing human error. The only true way to remove it, is to remove the humans... And somebody has to program all those computers.

George Anderson
07-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Ah, that's a good point and I should have specified. When I say umpires, I'm strictly referrring to home plate umpires. There will still be umps at 1st, 2nd and 3rd for check swings, plays at those bases and the like, and plays at the plate would probably be decided by a 1st base ump covering home for the play (or something to that effect).

I just want to know if people would rather prefer computers or a human ump to call balls and strikes at home plate (and why one way or the other).

Well on the previous point I made, on a pitch thats inside how do we decide if the pitch hit the batter if there is no home plate umpire?? Who covers the home plate umpires responsibilities in calling balks?? The base umpires are not going to be able to tell if a left handed pitcher stepped directly to first base on a pickoff attempt and not towards home. Who decides if a batted ball hit the batter inside the batters box or outside of it??

The computerized zone sounds good but in reality just isnt going to work. Also the umpires union while it is no where near as strong as the players union will never in a million years go for this.

durl
07-07-2007, 05:34 PM
I prefer to have humans make all the calls because, as George Anderson said, it's part of the game.

There was a system in place through 2006 (and still may be but I'm not sure) called QuesTec to evaluate balls and strikes. After the 2006 season results were released to show that umps made the right call on balls/strikes 94.91% of the time...meaning they missed just under 8 per game. I would think that there are pitchers that cause umps to miss more than that if they have the ability to stretch the strike zone.

Degenerate39
07-07-2007, 05:41 PM
How American is some foreign made computer calling balls and strikes in America's sport?

Doro
07-09-2007, 07:06 PM
we could have computers playing the game as well..... throwing 100mph 2 seamers with pinpoint accuracy too, but what fun would that be?

**** Today's game is under a 2 hour Network outage delay**** Please be patient while the umpires are updated.