PDA

View Full Version : Ichiro pending contract

Triples
07-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Did I hear the announcers correctly during the Allstar game last night say that Ichiro is close to signing a 5 year $100 million contract with Seattle? Who says you have to hit 40+ homeruns to get the big bucks.

larryboy
07-11-2007, 12:49 PM
5yr. 98 mil - No Grover and Ichiro is a happy camper. He does so many things for that team that the contract is about right. The Mariners best signings have all come from their international scouts, Ichiro, Johjima, Felix Hernandez, Bentacourt etc...

The Reds need to step up and invest more in international scouting. It will become increasingly important and can help boost your system quicker than the draft.

George Anderson
07-11-2007, 01:02 PM
The Reds need to step up and invest more in international scouting. It will become increasingly important and can help boost your system quicker than the draft.

The Reds need to focus on improving their scouting not only internationally but also in the United States. It's common knowledge that the glory years of this franchise (1970's and the 1990 team) were a result of a top notch farm system. Its kinda obvious that by looking at the Reds recent drought that the lack of players produced by the farm system is a key reason. If I were WK I would spend the vast majority of my day focused on improving the scouting department, minor league instructors etc., with the ultimate goal of being able to produce the same quality players this organization has done in the past.

nate
07-11-2007, 01:06 PM
I think they have been. I read something in the minor league forum about the Reds really expanding their development and scouting in South America.

pokeyfan
07-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Chicks dig the skinny hips.

nmculbreth
07-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Looks like a good deal for both sides. I'm not sure Ichiro is worth $20 mil per season purely on his baseball ability but when you factor in the marketing opporunities he opens up it looks like it's probably fair value.

StrikeIndicator
07-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Looks like a good deal for both sides. I'm not sure Ichiro is worth $20 mil per season purely on his baseball ability but when you factor in the marketing opporunities he opens up it looks like it's probably fair value.

In Seattle with its large Japanese community as well as direct flights and game packages coming in from Japan EVERY home stand, his marketing value alone is worth over 20 mil.

Don't forget that the owner of the team is Japanese and still hasn't been to a game at SafeCo Field

Chi-Town Red
07-11-2007, 07:42 PM
In Seattle with its large Japanese community as well as direct flights and game packages coming in from Japan EVERY home stand, his marketing value alone is worth over 20 mil.

Don't forget that the owner of the team is Japanese and still hasn't been to a game at SafeCo Field that is amazing

StrikeIndicator
07-11-2007, 09:13 PM
he is afraid of flying! (no joke)