PDA

View Full Version : AAA All Star Game

Reds Fanatic
07-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Just a reminder the AAA All Star Game will be on ESPN2 tonight at 7:30 ET. Joey Votto and Phil Dumatrait are in the game tonight.

Joseph
07-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Gives me something to watch at least. :)

redsfan1966
07-11-2007, 05:48 PM
I will be watching...to see the Reds representation and Chris Booker and Brandon Watson from the Clippers....

reds44
07-11-2007, 05:53 PM
There is a Joey Votto viedo interview on milb.com.

11larkin11
07-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Is it sad that I will watch this, I watched the Futures Game, I followed the AA and both Single A All Stars game, but didnt even bother with the MLB All Star Game?

Guacarock
07-11-2007, 06:06 PM
I'm heading over to the Albuquerque Isotopes stadium with Little Guac and la familia in a few minutes to watch the game. Great Votto photo in the paper this morning. If I meet up with Votto or Dumatrait, I'll report later.

CTA513
07-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Gameday: http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/gameday/y2007/gd.html?2007_07_11_ilaaaa_pcaaaa_1

Box Score: http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_07_11_ilaaaa_pcaaaa_1

Grande Donkey
07-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Is anyone else having Audio problems?

dougdirt
07-11-2007, 08:36 PM
yes, but it appears they fixed it now.

Grande Donkey
07-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Its working here too now.

Grande Donkey
07-11-2007, 08:41 PM
I like how Votto batted 4th in the Futures game and 7th in this game.

larks
07-11-2007, 08:47 PM
I like how Votto batted 4th in the Futures game and 7th in this game.

Well the Futures Game didnt have Timo Perez and Mike Hessman!

jcmac3
07-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Wonder what getting shelled in an Allstar game does to a pitchers confidence?

jcmac3
07-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Thats quite the baseball pedigree from Duncan, Dad and brother with St. Louis

Grande Donkey
07-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Votto is up.

larks
07-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Votto is down.

Grande Donkey
and he grounded into a DP.

jcmac3
3-6-3 DP for Votto lol

dougdirt
Votto sucks. Cut him.

kidding.

larks
as in GIDP. Not to an injury. Hope I didnt give anyone a heart attack

larks
07-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Votto K's swinging in second AB

Chi-Town Red
07-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Votto another K.. ouch!

Mario-Rijo
07-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Votto another K.. ouch!

Let's-bring-him-up!!!........Not so fast people!

reds44
07-11-2007, 10:44 PM
Am I the only one concerned about Votto's ugly swing?

Chi-Town Red
07-11-2007, 10:45 PM
yea its not too pretty

mound_patrol
07-11-2007, 10:47 PM
geeze, guy struggles in one game and now everyone is turning against him. I think he's done enough with his "ugle swing" to show he will be able to hit.

BoydsOfSummer
07-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Dumatrait pitching.

reds44
07-11-2007, 10:48 PM
geeze, guy struggles in one game and now everyone is turning against him. I think he's done enough with his "ugle swing" to show he will be able to hit.
Not true. I've had concerns about his swing ever since I've seen him play. It's not the first time I brought it up.

He seems to step in the bucket.

BoydsOfSummer
07-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Two batters, two outs fpr Phil.

Chi-Town Red
07-11-2007, 10:49 PM
geeze, guy struggles in one game and now everyone is turning against him. I think he's done enough with his "ugle swing" to show he will be able to hit.it just looked bad...his stats speak for itself:thumbup:

Chi-Town Red
07-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Phil looking good

BoydsOfSummer
07-11-2007, 10:50 PM
92,92,91 on his fastballs and one slurvy looking slider that he got a popup on.

BoydsOfSummer
07-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Reds prospect Jim Brower now in to pitch. :D

Mario-Rijo
07-11-2007, 10:54 PM
Check out this tidibit I posted last year from the futures thread regarding Votto.

http://http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1058795&highlight=Futures+Game#post1058795

I'll post it just in case. It came from ESPN's futures game blog.

Joey Votto (Reds) probably put on the biggest show during BP, which is not the same as being the most impressive. Votto launched several balls into the right-field bleachers, hitting the fence at the back of the stands at least once. He does have a wide stance and a long swing, which will limit his ability to make contact going forward. At least he didn't swing and miss during BP. That's embarrassing.

reds44
07-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Thanks for that.

It just concerns me that he is going to have gaping holes in his swing, and is going to strike out a ton much like Dunn. He doesn't have the power that Dunn does either. That's one of the reasons I think it's totally unfair to call him a potential .300 hitter. His swing may be exposed at the next level.

I will say this, he does a great job taking pitches the other way in AAA, something I was concerned he wouldn't be able to do because of his swing.

OnBaseMachine
07-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Let's-bring-him-up!!!........Not so fast people!

It's one game. He hit a homer in the Futures game a few days in a much bigger park against much better talent. Votto has improved on his plate discipline and cut down on his strikeouts as he has gotten older and more baseball experience (he didn't play much in Canada).

Chi-Town Red
I just want him to come up to see what he can do at the next level. He most likely will have little adjustment, but i cant wait to see him play!!

HokieRed
I've only seen him a little, but I'm not sure I'd describe his swing as long.

OnBaseMachine
07-11-2007, 11:06 PM
If it's unfair to say Votto is going to be a .300 hitter in the majors, then isn't equally as unfair to say he is going to strikeout as much as Dunn?

Chi-Town Red
07-11-2007, 11:08 PM
If it's unfair to say Votto is going to be a .300 hitter in the majors, then isn't equally as unfair to say he is going to strikeout as much as Dunn? nobody strikes out as much as Dunn:dunn:

OnBaseMachine
07-11-2007, 11:09 PM

Get used to it because that is the norm for most Reds fans. One bad game crosses out a whole seasons worth of a near .900 OPS.

Mario-Rijo
07-11-2007, 11:09 PM
Thanks for that.

It just concerns me that he is going to have gaping holes in his swing, and is going to strike out a ton much like Dunn. He doesn't have the power that Dunn does either. That's one of the reasons I think it's totally unfair to call him a potential .300 hitter. His swing may be exposed at the next level.

I will say this, he does a great job taking pitches the other way in AAA, something I was concerned he wouldn't be able to do because of his swing.

It could and most likely will be, at least early on. He will need to make adjustments one of which will likely be to shorten up that swing. I don't know yet whether his stance will be a hinderance or not.

Which should explain to alot why he has yet to show up, and that he may not yet be ready this season. Chances are though it will happen, Votto will be playing very soon at the MLB level. But don't expect immediate success, I know I won't. But most will be doggin' him right away kinda like how the Homer situation was about to head until his latest outing. Homer still has plenty to develop.

Chi-Town Red
07-11-2007, 11:11 PM
get him up to get some AB's.....so he can be ready to take over 1B full time next year

Mario-Rijo
07-11-2007, 11:14 PM
Get used to it because that is the norm for most Reds fans. One bad game crosses out a whole seasons worth of a near .900 OPS.

Just for the record I am not basing my opinion off of one bad game, just for future reference.

I am basing my opinion on watching him play after I read that remark from someone who knew a little more something than the avg fan. Which I posted above, and it has nothing to do with his plate discipline.

reds44
07-11-2007, 11:19 PM
If it's unfair to say Votto is going to be a .300 hitter in the majors, then isn't equally as unfair to say he is going to strikeout as much as Dunn?
When did I say he is going to strike out as much as Dunn does? I said I'm afraid that he might strike out as much as Dunn.

You guys are acting like I am saying this because of his bad night tonight. I'm not. Go through my posts, I've been concerned about his swing the entire time. It just stands out more tonight because other people are saying it.

There's no need to get all defensive everytime somebody doesn't say something positive about the guy. I said he has an ugly swing and it concerns me. I never said he isn't a good prospect or he won't have succes at the next level.

LoganBuck
07-11-2007, 11:25 PM
We are not selling Tom Emanski videos here!

AmarilloRed
07-11-2007, 11:33 PM
When did I say he is going to strike out as much as Dunn does? I said I'm afraid that he might strike out as much as Dunn.

You guys are acting like I am saying this because of his bad night tonight. I'm not. Go through my posts, I've been concerned about his swing the entire time. It just stands out more tonight because other people are saying it.

There's no need to get all defensive everytime somebody doesn't say something positive about the guy. I said he has an ugly swing and it concerns me. I never said he isn't a good prospect or he won't have succes at the next level.

Sean Casey had the ugliest swing I ever saw, and he turned out to be a fairly good player. It doesn't matter how pretty or ugly a swing a player has, as long as the swing works for him. I am more concerned about his ability to make contact. Hopefully, he will make more contact and not strikeout much.

BigREDSfaninKY
07-11-2007, 11:55 PM
nobody strikes out as much as Dunn:dunn:

thanks for the laugh

mth123
07-12-2007, 12:01 AM
Sean Casey had the ugliest swing I ever saw, and he turned out to be a fairly good player. It doesn't matter how pretty or ugly a swing a player has, as long as the swing works for him. I am more concerned about his ability to make contact. Hopefully, he will make more contact and not strikeout much.

My fear concerning Votto is that he will actually be too much like Casey at the next level. I certainly hope he has more power. I'm tired of the Reds having below league average 1B and Votto is my hope to provide 1B type production consistently. Reds haven't had that since Tony Perez left town in the 70s.

reds44
07-12-2007, 12:03 AM
My fear concerning Votto is that he will actually be too much like Casey at the next level. I certainly hope he has more power. I'm tired of the Reds having below league average 1B and Votto is my hope to provide 1B type production consistently. Reds haven't had that since Tony Perez left town in the 70s.
And if he hits like Casey and strikes out like Dunn, that's bad.

Aronchis
07-12-2007, 12:05 AM
And if he hits like Casey and strikes out like Dunn, that's bad.

Oh come on. Maybe he will hit for average like Casey and hit homers like Dunn:mooner:

Aronchis
07-12-2007, 12:28 AM

I can't even call this a "bad game" because it is of the all-star variety. Basically you are up there taking rips.

Guacarock
07-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Quick observations from the game:

Votto: Smooth at 1B. Should be defensive upgrade from Conine/Hatteberg. Has a longer swing than I had imagined, so he could struggle to maintain his high OBP with the Reds, especially initially. Might want to platoon him with Conine or another righty. Still, has power and solid line-drive cut that should land him his share of extra base hits.

Dumatrait: Hard to say. Only pitched to two batters before being lifted. Handcuffed them both, showing strong command of his pitches if not a ton of speed.

Best offensive player of the game: Admittedly small sample size, but Adam Jones of Tacoma looked to be the cream of the crop. He has it all: Power, speed, contact hitter, good defensive instincts, rifle of an arm. I'd trade the farm for him (at least Griffey), although it does look like the parent Seattle Mariners have declared Jones an untouchable as far as deals go. I can see why. We could sure use someone like him patrolling CF.

Best Pitcher: Manny Acosta from the Braves system dealt the filthiest stuff. Cory Doyne from the Orioles system also could be a mean closer/setup guy, but he needs a fashion makeover. Those are some wacky glasses he wears.

Other asides: The Detroit Tigers not only have put together a dominant MLB club, I like how they have stacked talent like Timo Perez and Mike Hessman with the Toledo Mudhens. Either of those quasi-veteran players could have represented a serious improvement over most of our '07 bench players. Krivsky should wise up on bench construction. Just because you're looking for role players doesn't mean they have to be offensive patsies.

Fan Favorites: Hessman and Valentin Pascucci from the Marlins system. These are both big guys with big hearts. Each hit a home run during the game, and many more outside the game by signing autographs for adoring kids.

Catching prospect: I have weighed in elsewhere supporting us acquiring LH catcher Jeff Clement from the Mariners system as a possible platoon mate for David Ross. Another guy who could fill the bill: Jose Morales, a switch-hitting catcher, from the Twins system. For a catcher, he sure has a fast bat and blazing speed on the basepaths.

11larkin11
07-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Didnt we have Timo Perez in our system at one point last year

Guacarock
07-12-2007, 02:18 PM

I don't believe so. He mostly played in '06 for the AAA Memphis Redbirds, with a very short stint on the parent Cardinals team. The highlight of his major league career came in 01-03 with the Mets. He's also played for the White Sox.

Still, he's only 30, maybe no longer a Solid Gold Prospect, but certainly capable of holding down a spot on a ML bench. He sure put on a clinic in yesterday's Triple AAA All-Star Game -- his 1st inning triple igniting the IL offense.

LoganBuck
07-12-2007, 02:41 PM

Wasn't he a spring training invitee, who was cut and then hooked on with the Cards AAA team?

11larkin11
07-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Yes, I know he was with us, maybe a Spring Training non roster invitee