PDA

View Full Version : Why wasn't Ben Kozlowski given more chance to succeed?

TC81190
07-11-2007, 11:10 PM
Many liked him alot when he was here. He did good last year (after we traded him after a game or two, for Cody Ross.) He's having a good year this year:

51 IP, 49 H, 52 K

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Ben%2520Kozlowski&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=420684

camisadelgolf
07-11-2007, 11:35 PM
Well, for starters, in the 9.1 innings he pitched for Louisville last year, he allowed 23 hits, 13 earned runs, and had 3 strikeouts. Over 32.1 innings, he had 16 strikeouts, and for a power pitcher without much control, that is quite underwhelming. The Reds traded him for Cody Ross (who was traded for cash), so I'd say it was a good move by the Reds unless Kozlowski shows consistent production in the Major Leagues (and I'm skeptical of that happening).

Patrick Bateman
07-11-2007, 11:55 PM
Looks like AAA fodder to me.

PuffyPig
07-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Looks like AAA fodder to me.

I think "fodder" should be on the restricted list of words men should never say.

camisadelgolf
07-12-2007, 04:10 PM
I'd agree with that, but Austin Kearns said it while drinking beer, playing poker, womanizing, fixing his monster truck, and listening to AC/DC.

PuffyPig
07-12-2007, 07:05 PM
I'd agree with that, but Austin Kearns said it while drinking beer, playing poker, womanizing, fixing his monster truck, and listening to AC/DC.

More like drinking a peach cooler, playing canasta with his grandma, fixing his tricycle while listening to Barry Manilow singing a jazz version of Copacabana.

Prf15
07-12-2007, 08:30 PM
More like drinking a peach cooler, playing canasta with his grandma, fixing his tricycle while listening to Barry Manilow singing a jazz version of Copacabana.
:laugh:

TC81190
07-12-2007, 09:10 PM
Well, for starters, in the 9.1 innings he pitched for Louisville last year, he allowed 23 hits, 13 earned runs, and had 3 strikeouts. Over 32.1 innings, he had 16 strikeouts, and for a power pitcher without much control, that is quite underwhelming. The Reds traded him for Cody Ross (who was traded for cash), so I'd say it was a good move by the Reds unless Kozlowski shows consistent production in the Major Leagues (and I'm skeptical of that happening).

OK, but that was 9 and a third innings. Not a monumental sample size, and he's had more of a track record of success than failure.

Patrick Bateman
07-12-2007, 09:35 PM

You well know that grandma lives on the other side of Canada!

But I can't deny the rest.... ;)

camisadelgolf
07-12-2007, 10:41 PM
OK, but that was 9 and a third innings. Not a monumental sample size, and he's had more of a track record of success than failure.

True, but he would had to have pitched about 26 consecutive scoreless innings to get his ERA down to where it currently is. I don't blame the Reds for giving up on him (even though they didn't really--they traded him for a somewhat productive player). Heck, for all we know, Kozlowski may have requested a change of scenery.

Topcat
07-13-2007, 03:08 AM
5oo K for a guy who won't sniff MLB ball ? I would say that was an excellent use of assets. Plus add to the fact the Koz had arm history problems add that to the Reds coaching and yes it was a very wise move! (god I am loving the exclamation mark tonight)

TC81190
07-14-2007, 01:32 AM
5oo K for a guy who won't sniff MLB ball ? I would say that was an excellent use of assets. Plus add to the fact the Koz had arm history problems add that to the Reds coaching and yes it was a very wise move! (god I am loving the exclamation mark tonight)

I don't think it'd be right to say Kozlowski won't be given a shot at the majors. He's left handed and K's guys.