PDA

View Full Version : This is a forum for Reds FANS right?

TC81190
07-12-2007, 09:09 PM
The negativ sentiment here is at times too overwhelmingly prevalent to bear. Whether it's bashing to death certain players to the point where it seems like some here wish for them fail, or the constant harping on our broadcast teams where users here are boasting over the fact that they get to listen to the opposition's feed ( http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60337 ).

Sometimes it's too much to be around.

CRedsLarkin11
07-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Yeah, I'm usually against people excessively harping on the Reds but years of frustration and this horrible season brings out the worst in most. Myself included. There isn't alot of positives going on, simply put. Reds conversations are going to include alot of negativity, regardless of how much of a fan you are. I love the Reds and I always will. I've said several times that if you're a fan now, how can you not be loyal or die hard? I don't believe criticism of the team, especially recently, means anyone is less of a Reds fan. (I hate to say it but Thom has bothered me as well, I've never had a real problem with an announcer but there is something about him)

Chi-Town Red
07-12-2007, 09:20 PM
to tell you the truth, im more excited about the kids down on the farm then what going on with the big club...kind of sad

AmarilloRed
07-13-2007, 01:01 AM
I am the ultimate die-hard Reds optimist; but even I am a little down on the Reds this year.

Jr's Boy
07-13-2007, 02:43 AM
The negativ sentiment here is at times too overwhelmingly prevalent to bear. Whether it's bashing to death certain players to the point where it seems like some here wish for them fail, or the constant harping on our broadcast teams where users here are boasting over the fact that they get to listen to the opposition's feed ( http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60337 ).

Yes that get's real old.Most people would freeze up if you offered them money and put a microphone in their hand and told them to speak in a public forum.

Krawhitham
07-13-2007, 02:48 AM
Yes this place is for Reds FANS, but when you support the worse team in baseball it is hard to come up with to many positive things to talk about

Degenerate39
07-13-2007, 02:50 AM
Yes this place is for Reds FANS, but when you support the worse team in baseball it is hard to come up with to many positive things to talk about

There's plenty of positives.

rotnoid
07-13-2007, 06:34 AM

I think the common misconception is that a "fan" has to always be a rah-rah guy. In my mind, that's not being a fan, it's blind loyalty. Don't get me wrong, I love blind loyalty- especially in pets that don't know any better. But from fans, I expect more insight. If you blindly accept what you're being fed and don't question whether it's right or not, you're no more of a fan than a guy who hates every move the team makes. In fact, I'd argue the negative fan probably has more passion since it clearly hits hard when mistakes are made.

redrum
07-13-2007, 08:47 AM

I find it pretty ironic that this thread is about fans negativity towards the Reds announcers' negativity towards some of the Reds best players.

(you might have to read that a couple of times to understand)

nate
07-13-2007, 08:59 AM
I find it pretty ironic that this thread is about fans negativity towards the Reds announcers' negativity towards some of the Reds best players.

(you might have to read that a couple of times to understand)

I know I had to read it a few times to get that.

jmac
07-13-2007, 09:05 AM
I know I had to read it a few times to get that.

I've read it a few and still havent got it :D

Reds Freak
07-13-2007, 09:06 AM
I think the common misconception is that a "fan" has to always be a rah-rah guy. In my mind, that's not being a fan, it's blind loyalty. Don't get me wrong, I love blind loyalty- especially in pets that don't know any better. But from fans, I expect more insight. If you blindly accept what you're being fed and don't question whether it's right or not, you're no more of a fan than a guy who hates every move the team makes. In fact, I'd argue the negative fan probably has more passion since it clearly hits hard when mistakes are made.

I think we usually have a thread about this topic a few times a year. I always point out that the reason for being a fan of a team and having passion for a sport is enjoyment. I don't know why anyone else would be a fan if not for pure joy out of the sport and your team. I get frustrated as anyone at the Reds poor play but what can we do about it? As many times as we whine and complain that Chad Moeller is on the team or do some statistical research about the importance of Adam Dunn, there's nothing we can do about the team. None of us, as far as I know, are advisors to Wayne. Some of the constant bemoaning does get very old...

And redrum, that thread isn't about Reds announcers being negative towards certain players, it was about Thom saying something positive about Adam Dunn.I really don't understand some folks' on here dislike for all things Reds radio and TV.

redrum
07-13-2007, 09:58 AM
I think we usually have a thread about this topic a few times a year. I always point out that the reason for being a fan of a team and having passion for a sport is enjoyment. I don't know why anyone else would be a fan if not for pure joy out of the sport and your team. I get frustrated as anyone at the Reds poor play but what can we do about it? As many times as we whine and complain that Chad Moeller is on the team or do some statistical research about the importance of Adam Dunn, there's nothing we can do about the team. None of us, as far as I know, are advisors to Wayne. Some of the constant bemoaning does get very old...

What I really dislike is the bemoaning about the bemoaning posts. ;)

I like a forum where folks are free to intelligently express their opinions on what is right and what is wrong with an organization. Seeing faults in something you are passionate about is not wrong. It is not wrong at all.

And redrum, that thread isn't about Reds announcers being negative towards certain players, it was about Thom saying something positive about Adam Dunn.I really don't understand some folks' on here dislike for all things Reds radio and TV.

The initial post in this thread 'bemoaned' the fact that some posters are negative towards the Reds. That post included a link to a thread that the poster saw as negative towards the Reds announcers. One of the common complaints about the Reds announcers is that they are very negative towards Adam Dunn and the Reds in general.

I simply found it ironic that the starter of this thread felt that Reds fans should not be negative towards Reds announcers who are negative towards the Reds players.

Ludwig Reds Fan
07-13-2007, 11:21 AM
Being a baseball fan is not simply about enjoyment. Well, maybe for a Yankees or Lakers fan it is.

Being a baseball fan is about loving the game of baseball, and supporting your home team through thick and thin. Supporting your team means that you have to pay attention. And when people pay attention, well, people notice things. Good and bad. Of course there is a name for fans that only notice the good things about their team. I think they call them cheerleaders. ;)

Reds Freak
07-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Being a baseball fan is not simply about enjoyment. Well, maybe for a Yankees or Lakers fan it is.

Being a baseball fan is about loving the game of baseball, and supporting your home team through thick and thin. Supporting your team means that you have to pay attention. And when people pay attention, well, people notice things. Good and bad. Of course there is a name for fans that only notice the good things about their team. I think they call them cheerleaders. ;)

I'm not saying that a fan should agree with every move the club makes but some people on here think every move the Reds make and every player they acquire comes right from the toilet. Of course it is frustrating when your team is stuck in losing ways, which makes the times when they begin to win that much more satisfying. However, there is not a whole lot of places I'd rather be on a summer evening than a Reds baseball game, if they are 60-30 or 30-60. I love sitting on the back porch listening to Marty and gang call the games or sitting inside in bad weather watching the game. I enjoy that no matter how good the team is doing. The minute I stop enjoying that feeling than something is wrong...

Ludwig Reds Fan
07-13-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm not saying that a fan should agree with every move the club makes but some people on here think every move the Reds make and every player they acquire comes right from the toilet.

I wonder where they got THAT idea. :D Arroyo and Phillips were nice additions. After that,it gets foggy. REALLY foggy.

Of course it is frustrating when your team is stuck in losing ways, which makes the times when they begin to win that much more satisfying. However, there is not a whole lot of places I'd rather be on a summer evening than a Reds baseball game, if they are 60-30 or 30-60. I love sitting on the back porch listening to Marty and gang call the games or sitting inside in bad weather watching the game. I enjoy that no matter how good the team is doing. The minute I stop enjoying that feeling than something is wrong...

I agree 100 percent. I just like a good ballgame. I'd love for the Reds to compete, but take last nights 3-2 loss for example. I thought it was a fun game to watch. If I required championships to be a Reds Fan, I probably would have moved on by now. But I will tear them a new one ever time they blow money on a guy like Stanton or other boneheaded moves. Moeller?

The list of questionable moves by the Reds is a long one, make no mistake.

mroby85
07-13-2007, 12:36 PM
i think any true reds fan would be upset about this season, when you're a fan you're pulling for them to win, and when they aren't doing that you naturally try to figure out whats going wrong. the broadcast bashing i don't understand, i like everyone on the staff other than george grande, and the only reason i dislike him is because he's so jolly when the reds are losing.

JLB5
07-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Certainly having the worst record in the league for most of the season is going to draw some criticsm. I have no problem with that. I'm a little struck by the amount of ire towards Thom following compliments of Dunn. I mainly watch the TV feed and only catch the radio if I'm in the car (too much of a delay to have both on in the house), but I've heard Thom say more good things about Dunn than negative. Actually, the same can be said of Marty. I've heard him be quite complimentary of Dunn this year at times. I think the perception has gotten out that Marty "hates" Dunn and a lot of confrimation bias happens when he does make a negative comment. I think it also happens that his negative statements tend to get posted and commented upon by those who don't listen to the broadcast. I have never heard Marty say anything "hateful" about Dunn, nor say anything that didn't have some degree of truth. You can argue that BA with RISP isn't the best indicator of being a "run producer" which is the main reason Marty says he is not, but that's a far cry from being a Dunn "hater." Anyways, not trying to turn this into a defend Marty thread, but I do see a lot of reacting to comment that people have never heard themselves. Also, if Thom's last name were Smith, he likely wouldn't be getting the amount of negative comments he receives.

ChatterRed
07-13-2007, 12:43 PM

I've never understood the need to COMPLAIN about the COMPLAINING.

Don't read it if it bothers you. Sheesh.

nate
07-13-2007, 12:44 PM
i dunno if I'm upset about this season. I want them to win every game. Its just that the organization is like a big, lumbering ocean liner that's having to make a drastic course correction and we're only halfway through the turn. That puts us about as far away from our destination as possible. Hopefully, its worth it once we get there.

I(heart)Freel
07-13-2007, 04:49 PM
Certainly having the worst record in the league for most of the season is going to draw some criticsm. I have no problem with that. I'm a little struck by the amount of ire towards Thom following compliments of Dunn. I mainly watch the TV feed and only catch the radio if I'm in the car (too much of a delay to have both on in the house), but I've heard Thom say more good things about Dunn than negative. Actually, the same can be said of Marty. I've heard him be quite complimentary of Dunn this year at times. I think the perception has gotten out that Marty "hates" Dunn and a lot of confrimation bias happens when he does make a negative comment. I think it also happens that his negative statements tend to get posted and commented upon by those who don't listen to the broadcast. I have never heard Marty say anything "hateful" about Dunn, nor say anything that didn't have some degree of truth. You can argue that BA with RISP isn't the best indicator of being a "run producer" which is the main reason Marty says he is not, but that's a far cry from being a Dunn "hater." Anyways, not trying to turn this into a defend Marty thread, but I do see a lot of reacting to comment that people have never heard themselves. Also, if Thom's last name were Smith, he likely wouldn't be getting the amount of negative comments he receives.

Great post. Props.

There is a certain point where everyone chooses to see the bottle of Hudy as half full or half empty. And which you focus on says a lot about the kind of Reds fan you are.

While this season stinks to high heaven, I am oddly geeked up about seeing the next step in the evolution of this club. Can't wait to see our next generation of stars. Can't wait to see the ones we have here get better and hopefully get a little more national notice. (Side note: the Reds need to hire a sports publicity firm, so that slights like Harang not getting a single Cy Young vote and BPhil not getting a serious look at All Star consideration never happen again.) And I can't wait to see who gets traded and for whom.

Yea, the seasons bites. But I'm still as pumped as ever.

Guess it's half full in these eyes.

Chi-Town Red
07-13-2007, 06:56 PM
I think after last season, we all had hope we could compete to win this weak division in 2007. It has been a disaster in every sense of the word. We have become the worst team in baseball, and as a fan you cant be happy watching your team lose night after night. At least im not. What are we suppose to do? I support the team no matter what, but if your going to lose 100 games, there is alot of blame to go around. And discuss

TC81190
07-14-2007, 01:30 AM
I've never understood the need to COMPLAIN about the COMPLAINING.

Don't read it if it bothers you. Sheesh.

Well considering that's the majority of the posts here, that's rather hard to do sometimes. Back off.

Mutaman
07-14-2007, 01:33 AM
This may be the dumbest thread in the history of Reds Zone. Too much negativity? Poor you.

TC81190
07-14-2007, 01:49 AM
This may be the dumbest thread in the history of Reds Zone. Too much negativity? Poor you.

Well, you know, there is a reasom for this .GIF being on the board system:

:deadhorse