PDA

View Full Version : Dunn tries to walk???

kaldaniels
07-12-2007, 09:53 PM
This is just an observation and I have no stats to back this up...

But it just seems that sometimes when Dunn gets ahead in the count, he tries more for the BB rather than getting a pitch to hit.

Example-against Wagner tonight, 2-1 count, Billy throws a chest high FB right down Main and Dunn doesn't even think about it. Granted, maybe he was looking off speed, however, this seems to happen quite a bit. Does anyone out there see the same thing or is it just me???

Chi-Town Red
07-12-2007, 09:57 PM
i think we all have stated for some time that he takes way to many pitches...so its either a walk, strikeout, or HR

kaldaniels
07-12-2007, 10:00 PM
i think we all have stated for some time that he takes way to many pitches...so its either a walk, strikeout, or HR

No doubt...however it struck me tonight....he doesn't take pitches looking for a pitch to hit...I think he may just be trying to draw a walk. Just my opinion.

James B.
07-12-2007, 10:33 PM
I have noticed the same thing. Sometimes he doesn't look very aggessive at the plate. He sometimes looks like he is just taking pitches for no apparent reason. Maybe he is just looking for a certain pitch. I don't know what he is doing.

Ahhhorsepoo
07-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Counting sheep maybe? I know his pace for over 200 k's makes me want to count sheep FOREVER..

Orenda
07-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Yeah he didn't look great, but he was facing Billy Wagner. Who Does?

Screwball
07-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Counting sheep maybe? I know his pace for over 200 k's makes me want to count sheep FOREVER..

Yeah, cuz strikeouts have such a high correlation to run production. :rolleyes:

He got it!
07-13-2007, 01:25 PM
It's true - where as most Home Run hitters swing away on 2-0 and 3-1 counts (See Griffey) Dunn seems to almost always be in take mode hitting most or all of his homers behind or even in the count. Personally I have a very high value of on base percentage and do not mind this strategy at all but I can see how some fans would be upset by this. Dunn's On base percentage would drop dramatically but imagine how many homers he could have being more agressive on 2-0 and 3-1 counts. With 2 or 3 runners on I would like to see Dunn be more aggressive where if he is leading off an inning I'm all for him taking all the way on 3-1 pitch.

TC81190
07-14-2007, 01:51 AM
Yeah, cuz strikeouts have such a high correlation to run production. :rolleyes:

You = :deadhorse.

BLEEDS
07-14-2007, 03:43 PM
you are the other side of the coin, wherein the flip side says "Adam Dunn needs to see more pitches" and point to the Pitches seen per At Bat stat as something that is somehow seen in a Positive light.

Some - I mean MOST - people just can't find anything right with Adam Dunn.

Dude goes 1 for 1 with 3 BB"s and people are complaining that he PREFERS to take Walks now.

Un-B-Leave-A-Bull

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Screwball
07-14-2007, 04:05 PM

Hmmm, maybe if people wouldn't keep saying the same things despite proof to the contrary, I wouldn't have to keep responding.

Blue
07-14-2007, 04:09 PM
Hmmm, maybe if people wouldn't keep saying the same things despite proof to the contrary, I wouldn't have to keep responding.

Isn't there an emoticon with the smiley face with its hands over it ears, yelling to drown out what it doesn't want to hear?

There should be.

Screwball
07-14-2007, 04:13 PM
Isn't there an emoticon with the smiley face with its hands over it ears, yelling to drown out what it doesn't want to hear?

There should be.

:laugh: Agreed.

T7-niner
07-14-2007, 04:24 PM

Nope....Dunn's K's = :deadhorse

Chi-Town Red
07-14-2007, 04:29 PM
I love his OBP...but if he were more aggresive, he could hit 60 and drive in 150

TC81190
07-14-2007, 11:30 PM
I love his OBP...but if he were more aggresive, he could hit 60 and drive in 150

More agressive isn't really a good way to say it. We've seen where that got us earlier in the season when he was slumping. He just needs to recognize that a lot of these pitches he's taking he could probably drill, or at least stoke into the gap for extras.

AtomicDumpling
07-15-2007, 12:23 AM
His penchant for taking walks is why he leads the team in runs scored every year. Why risk making an out when the pitcher is willing to put you on base for free? Trust the next batters to drive you in.

If Dunn were selfish he would go out there and swing at those pitches in an effort to increase his personal HR and RBI stats. Instead, he does what is better for the team by taking the free pass. Walks frequently score. The Reds score more runs and the pitcher wears out faster as a result.

CWRed
07-15-2007, 12:53 PM
I still amazes me that we have Catro and Moeller on the team. Hopper is just plain dumb on the basepaths and in the field (but he sure can bunt!). EE isn't playing and Dunn batting 5th is ridiculous and not conducive to production. Stanton continues to blow games and Votto is stuck in AAA until 2010. But yes, by all means, let's get on Adam Dunn for going 1-1 w/ 3 walks. My God people. You are sucking away my will to live.

Oh did I metion Jeff Conine is batting 3rd today? :bang:

nate
07-15-2007, 01:55 PM
I still amazes me that we have Catro and Moeller on the team. Hopper is just plain dumb on the basepaths and in the field (but he sure can bunt!). EE isn't playing and Dunn batting 5th is ridiculous and not conducive to production. Stanton continues to blow games and Votto is stuck in AAA until 2010. But yes, by all means, let's get on Adam Dunn for going 1-1 w/ 3 walks. My God people. You are sucking away my will to live.

Oh did I metion Jeff Conine is batting 3rd today? :bang:

There's speculation that these lineups are designed to showcase players we're trying to trade.