PDA

View Full Version : 7-14 Minor League Updates

Superdude
07-14-2007, 04:42 PM
I'm going to the Dragons game tonight. Does anyone know who's pitching? I'll try to give some sweet commentary when I get back.

KittyDuran
07-14-2007, 04:46 PM
Per the Dragons website...

http://daytondragons.com/pressbox/pressrelease/index.html?article_id=399

The Dragons and LumberKings continue the four game series with game two Saturday night at Fifth Third Field beginning at 7:00 PM. The Dragons will give the starting nod to RHP Jordan Smith (7-6, 3.46 ERA) while Clinton counters with RHP Jeremiah Haar (3-0, 1.61 ERA).

OnBaseMachine
07-14-2007, 04:54 PM
The GCL Reds lost today. Mesoraco did not play. Nefi Soto went 1-for-4 with a single. Tzu-Kai Chiu pitched well: 5 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 6 K.

mth123
07-14-2007, 06:10 PM
Pitchers we want to see do well tonight

Louisville with Richie Gardner
Chatt with Johnny Cueto
Sarasota with Sean Watson
Dayton with Jordan Smith
Billings with Harris Honeycutt

OnBaseMachine
07-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Sean Watson throws a 1-2-3 1st inning with a strikeout.

Chi-Town Red
07-14-2007, 06:14 PM
lets see if Johnny C can continue his dominance

OnBaseMachine
07-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Watson allows a solo HR: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 3 K

dougdirt
07-14-2007, 07:06 PM
I think Sean Watson has allowed more solo HRs than anyone in baseball this year.

OnBaseMachine
07-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Watson: 4 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 4 K

dougdirt
07-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Jay Bruce grounds out for the Bats who trail 3-0 in the 2nd.

BigRed07
07-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Stubby drops a lead off bomb. Dragons 1-0.

BearcatShane
07-14-2007, 07:24 PM
1-2-3 for Cueto with 2 K's.

OnBaseMachine
07-14-2007, 07:27 PM
Two strikeouts and a groundout for Cueto.

Nice to see Stubbs finally end that HR drought. He hadn't homered since May.

Patrick Bateman
07-14-2007, 07:39 PM
Anyone watching the Dayton game? I'm interested in knowing the distance of the Stubbs homer. Being in Dayton it could have just as easily been a small park homerun, not that I am one to complain about any HR.

OnBaseMachine
07-14-2007, 07:39 PM
Jay Bruce is 1-for-2 with a single so far tonight.

BigRed07
07-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Dragons 4-0. Parker hits a 2 run bomb.

OnBaseMachine
07-14-2007, 07:45 PM
After struggling through the first two months of the season, Parker has really turned it on the past month and a half. He hit .309/.395/.471 - .866 in June and .464/.545/.643 - 1.188 in July. I love his plate discipline, now if he can just start hitting for more power like his body frame suggests he will.

OnBaseMachine
07-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Cueto K's the first batter in the second inning but then allows a solo HR to end his 20 inning scoreless streak.

His line is now: 2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 3 K

OnBaseMachine
07-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Cueto didn't have it tonight. He struckout three of the first four batters, but then went downhill from there. He's now allowed five runs in three innings with one walk and four strikeouts. It won't be long before reds fans are calling for him to be released.

BigRed07
07-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Dragons 8-0. Turner RBI double.

OnBaseMachine
07-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Stubbs is 1-for-1 with a solo HR (#7) and a walk. The walk was his 50th of the season in 317 atbats. You gotta love that. If he could hit just about .275 or .280 he could be a great player with all those walks he takes.

Patrick Bateman
07-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Stubbs is 1-for-1 with a solo HR (#7) and a walk. The walk was his 50th of the season in 317 atbats. You gotta love that. If he could hit just about .275 or .280 he could be a great player with all those walks he takes.

That's why I still hold hope for Stubbs. Discipline is a tough thing to learn.

Hopeully when he's fully healthy he can start bringing around the rest of his game. No question he has a long road ahead of him, but there is still some very nice skills with Stubbs that tend to be overlooked.

OnBaseMachine
07-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Jay Bruce lines a single to right. He's 2-for-3 tonight with two singles. Through three games at Louisville, Bruce is 3-for-10 with two singles, a homer, and a walk.

dougdirt
07-14-2007, 08:27 PM
And 3 line drives in those 10 at bats, which is very nice to see that he isn't getting little poke and jab hits (although one of his line drives went as an out).

dougdirt
07-14-2007, 08:29 PM
Bats working on hopefully a big inning. They already have 1 run in and trail 7-2. Bases are loaded though with no outs. Come on Chris Dickerson!

OnBaseMachine
07-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Cueto throws a 1-2-3 4th inning with two strikeouts.

4 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 1 BB, 6 K

OnBaseMachine
07-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Cueto: 5 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 1 BB, 7 K

Cueto had that one bad inning where he allowed a two out walk which came back to kill him as the next batter belted a 3-run HR. But still, that strikeout-to-walk ratio is very impressive. Cueto now has a 5 BB/34 K ratio in 24 innings with Chattanooga.

kaldaniels
07-14-2007, 09:01 PM
I'm sure its been said, but at this point, I'd have to say the odds are 80% Bruce is in the lineup at GABP on Opening Day next year.

joshnky
07-14-2007, 09:05 PM
I was at the Bats game and left after the 6th. Bruce was decent at the plate (bad in the first at bat, weak hit in the second, nice line drive in the 6th) but he had an absolutely horrible defensive play in the 2nd (?). Bases loaded and the batter hits a one hopper to Bruce who charges it but the ball goes under his glove allowing three runs to score. He didn't realize it until he reached in his glove for the ball and it had rolled half way to the wall.

Also, the pitching for the Bats (Gardner, Santos, and Medlock) was pretty rough all the way around.

joshnky
07-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Janish has looked overmatched in AAA. Too bad a shortage at SS forced an early promotion. Hopefully Pedro Lopez will be back down soon so that Janish can continue his development at an appropriate level.

As I write this Votto grounds out weakly to finish 0-5 and Herr follows with the same to end the game.

Votto 0-5
Janish 0-4 2K
Bruce 2-4 2R 1K

Bats lose 7-3

Aronchis
07-14-2007, 09:46 PM
Medlock has turned into a pumpkin in AAA. Now we know why he wasn't promoted before. That doesn't mean future non-success, but other than the confusing(possible political driven) Bailey callup, these moves are made or not made for a reason.

tbball10
07-14-2007, 10:03 PM
what was confusing about the bailey callup? he had nothing to prove in aaa and despite 2 bad starts, he has been pretty good for the reds. last i checked the reds arent going to make the playoffs, so why not let him get used to the bigs. the only games that he has struggled in has been when he hasnt located his pitches, especially his fastball.

BearcatShane
07-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Not a good night for that Bats. Nice to see Bruce get a couple knocks though.

Aronchis
07-14-2007, 10:12 PM
what was confusing about the bailey callup? he had nothing to prove in aaa and despite 2 bad starts, he has been pretty good for the reds. last i checked the reds arent going to make the playoffs, so why not let him get used to the bigs. the only games that he has struggled in has been when he hasnt located his pitches, especially his fastball.

Bailey's "warning" signs were there in spring training and if you look at his AAA stats. 7.9krate, high walk rate, continued(from his previous years) poor efficiency. He hadn't proved a darn thing in AAA. Enough of that belief.

Bailey should have started the year in AA to baby him and move him up to AAA mid-year.........as a baby 21 year old. Hardly shocking. Remember, Homer was showing signs of "getting caught up to" in AA after a hot July. He had only thrown 68I in AA and if he didn't improve, those older levels would get him.

The Reds are acting like A: They threw a tantrum when his progress stalled out. I hope they didn't think Bailey was going to be a missing piece to a winning team. Yet they forced him in their bad state of mind or
B: It was a political decision to get people in the seats.

Whatever it is, Bailey wasn't ready to dominate AAA and not even close to ML ready. Like I said before Bailey needed another 70 innings in AA and about 80 in AAA this year. But it is hardly surprising for a 21 year old. He simply wasn't on the developmental curve of Hughes or Gallardo. Yet nobody seemed to want to except that. Poor decision by the entire Reds organization with Krivsky being the bagholder.

Blue
07-14-2007, 11:26 PM
It looks like having to revert back to the Pioneer league may have been the best thing to happen to Phil Valiquette. His numbers make it look like he spent the months since Spring Training working on his control and he's putting up some really nice numbers.

Hopefully he'll actually be ready for Dayton next season. Never should have gone there as quickly as he did.

Superdude
07-15-2007, 12:00 AM
Hopefully he'll actually be ready for Dayton next season. Never should have gone there as quickly as he did.

I'm not sure what they were thinking by throwing him and Gonzo in Dayton right away. Hopefully Valiquette can recover and at least give us a power lefty out of the pen.

Anyways, went to the Dragons game tonight. Watched the first 6 innings or so from the outfield seats...that sucked. After I moved to a better seat, here's what I learned...

1) Francisco seriously takes a hack. He practically fell over on a few swings. I guess that's why he can smash it over the batters eye though.

2) DeJesus was mid to high 80's according to the stadium gun. It seemed a little slow to me, but how is this guy striking out a batter an inning? I couldn't really tell what other pitches he was throwing.

3) Terrell Young looked good. I thought he threw a little harder, but he sat in the low 90's and the hitters looked bad whenever he threw an offspeed pitch...(take that for what it's worth)

yay heater :thumbup:

CTA513
07-15-2007, 12:25 AM
Valiquette: 5 Innings, 4 Hits, 1 Run (Unearned), 0 BB, 4 K

KoryMac5
07-15-2007, 12:34 AM
Whatever it is, Bailey wasn't ready to dominate AAA and not even close to ML ready. Like I said before Bailey needed another 70 innings in AA and about 80 in AAA this year. But it is hardly surprising for a 21 year old. He simply wasn't on the developmental curve of Hughes or Gallardo. Yet nobody seemed to want to except that. Poor decision by the entire Reds organization with Krivsky being the bagholder.

I disagree that it was a poor decision on the part of the Reds. I feel the FO felt that Homer would learn more from Pole at the major league level than Power at AAA.

mth123
07-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Some notes:

What's the deal with Jordan Smith and Travis Webb both going 3 innings last night for Dayton? Injury? Resurrection of the tandem starters?

Thomas Pauly got rocked .66 IP, 5H, 2BB, 1K, 1HR, 4ER

Is it just me or has Joey Votto been in a slump this month? 0 for 5 last night seems like a lot of bad nights for Joey lately or am I just remembering wrong? He played LF again BTW.

Calvin Medlock: .33 IP, 3H, 2BB, 3WP, 3ER, 0K.

I've been noticing Chris Heisey and Dennis Phipps doing well lately, again I could just be remembering wrong. Anyone know how these guys project?

tbball10
07-15-2007, 09:48 AM
Bailey's "warning" signs were there in spring training and if you look at his AAA stats. 7.9krate, high walk rate, continued(from his previous years) poor efficiency. He hadn't proved a darn thing in AAA. Enough of that belief.

Bailey should have started the year in AA to baby him and move him up to AAA mid-year.........as a baby 21 year old. Hardly shocking. Remember, Homer was showing signs of "getting caught up to" in AA after a hot July. He had only thrown 68I in AA and if he didn't improve, those older levels would get him.

The Reds are acting like A: They threw a tantrum when his progress stalled out. I hope they didn't think Bailey was going to be a missing piece to a winning team. Yet they forced him in their bad state of mind or
B: It was a political decision to get people in the seats.

started in AA? r u serious? yeah lets make a 10-year old who made all A's in 5th grade repeat the level just to make sure he didnt lose his ability to use long division.
the reds didnt think he was a missing piece to a winning team. they brought him up because we are out of it, and are playing for next year.
baileys control is the only thing that is missing, but hes already showed he can still dominate AAA without it. so they moved him to the majors to learn for next year, and hes been good in 4 out of 6 starts. i think its better that he gets knocked around a little this year than next.

OnBaseMachine
07-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Some notes:

What's the deal with Jordan Smith and Travis Webb both going 3 innings last night for Dayton? Injury? Resurrection of the tandem starters?

Thomas Pauly got rocked .66 IP, 5H, 2BB, 1K, 1HR, 4ER

Is it just me or has Joey Votto been in a slump this month? 0 for 5 last night seems like a lot of bad nights for Joey lately or am I just remembering wrong? He played LF again BTW.

Calvin Medlock: .33 IP, 3H, 2BB, 3WP, 3ER, 0K.

I've been noticing Chris Heisey and Dennis Phipps doing well lately, again I could just be remembering wrong. Anyone know how these guys project?

No, you're right about Votto. He's been slumping since about three or four days before the Futures Game. He was due for a slump, though, as he had been crushing the ball since the start of May. I have no doubt in my mind that he'll start hitting well again.

Cooper
07-15-2007, 10:27 AM
The Dragons are starting to use tandem starters in some cases. The workload for some of the pitchers has gotten to the point where the Reds brass don't want them to get too many innings in.

IIRC, they are not using it across the board -just with certain players.