PDA

View Full Version : Keith Law, blithering idiot, on Harang..

REDblooded
07-19-2007, 09:16 AM
This was from ESPN's INsider chat yesterday. I personally take what Law says with the thinnest of slices of credibility. This is one of the reasons why..(eric hinske is another).

Glen (Chicago): Is Adam Harnag one of the Top 20 SP's in the majors?

Keith Law: I surrender. I can't even guess who you mean.

Evan (Washington, DC): Glen (Chicago) I think meant Aaron Harang.

Keith Law: That's too bad. Harnag sounded like a good partner for the Kerrek. Anyway, Harang's not an ace, just a good innings-eater, would be a 3/4 on a contending club.

Third or fourth starter? On what team? Outside of the Tigers (Bonderman, Verlander), and MAYBE the Angels (Lackey, Escobar), I can't think of a single team in baseball where Harang would be considered a number 3.

ChatterRed
07-19-2007, 09:19 AM
That's just stupid.

durl
07-19-2007, 10:01 AM
How can we be expected to take these guys seriously when they ignore one of the best pitchers in the NL?

That whole attitude just permeates ESPN. I caught highlights of the 15 inning marathon game on a couple of ESPN channels and they never even acknowledged that Harang pitched. It was all about Smoltz. Granted, he just came off the DL, but Harang matched him for 6 innings and his name was never mentioned.

A 10-2 record, an ERA of 3.63, and a K/BB ratio of 128/39 and he's a "good innings eater?" Whatever. It's easy to see why ESPN is no longer held in the high regard that it once was.

CySeymour
07-19-2007, 11:06 AM
I did like how Law kept calling the Reds GM Rivsky, because our GM loves to whine about strikouts :)

foltza
07-19-2007, 12:51 PM
i really don't understand why analysts aren't more impressed by him. the numbers have been there for 3 years now. i understand he doesn't have #1 or "ace" type STUFF, a la Johan and some others, but getting all those K's and keeping his ERA so low... well, it just boggles me. factor in the park he's pitching in also. it's scary to think how good his numbers would be if he had stayed in oakland.

Orenda
07-19-2007, 12:52 PM
A 10-2 record, an ERA of 3.63, and a K/BB ratio of 128/39 and he's a "good innings eater?" Whatever. It's easy to see why ESPN is no longer held in the high regard that it once was.

Harang is not well known and continues to slip through the cracks. I dont see him as anything less then a good number 2 starter. I wonder what his thoughts on Arroyo are? He doesnt have the numbers this year but has that good curve and ESPN appeal.

Krawhitham
07-19-2007, 01:17 PM
only thing Keith Law most likely knows about Harang is that he does not have electric stuff.

And he does not have the best stuff but he hides his ball so well until late in his windup batters can not pick up on his pitches

Stuff wise he probably is a 3/4 type of guy, but with his delivery and the fact he never loses his head (like loshe) it has made him a 1 or 2 guy

HalMorrisRules
09-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Keith needs to have a debate with Jayson Stark about Harang. In this week's Rumblings and Grumblings, Stark included this:

Is there a more underrated starting pitcher in baseball than Reds ace Aaron Harang? Over the past two seasons, he's 30-15. He leads the majors in innings pitched (430). He's tied with Brandon Webb and Brad Penny for the most wins by an NL pitcher in that span, and trails only Jake Peavy in strikeouts (396).

"I just saw Ben Sheets and Harang in the last week," one scout says. "And if I had my choice, I'd take Harang. All he does is throw strikes. He's Brandon Webb, man. He's a horse."

Seems like Jayson is stating what Reds fans already know.

NorrisHopper30
09-06-2007, 09:15 PM
I've never seen a 3/4 starter that has gone 14-4 on a mediocre team. Hopefully Mr Law will let us know when that happens.

GoReds33
09-06-2007, 10:24 PM
People aren't impressed because they don't understand how they do it. His sneaky fast fastball is something that is hard for an average baseball fan to understand. That and he plays in Cincinnati.

jnwohio
09-07-2007, 12:10 AM
People aren't impressed because they don't understand how they do it. His sneaky fast fastball is something that is hard for an average baseball fan to understand. That and he plays in Cincinnati.

Brantley has done a good job of explaining this "sneakiness" at least to us locally. As he says you can't hit what you can't see and then goes on to explain how Harang's size and delivery hides the ball from the batters to effectively "add" several MPH to his heater.

When I hear Brantley giving this explanation, it always crosses my mind that Todd Coffey is a big guy too and actually throws a little bit harder than Harang. Just maybe he might benefit from looking at tapes of Harang's delivery......????

ochoa30
09-07-2007, 02:34 AM

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/gallery/1112998/photo_05.jpg
Sneaky, sneaky sir.

ChatterRed
09-07-2007, 09:21 PM
The failure to recognize that Harang pitches in a hitter's park (GABP) and still produces very good numbers, automatically negates all credibility of Keith Law.