PDA

View Full Version : Bereavement move, but not the one you're expecting.

Danny Serafini
07-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Gonzalez isn't coming back today, but Harang is out. His grandfather died, so he's going to San Diego for a few days. Ricky Stone is back up, Milton goes to the 60 day DL to make room.

Yachtzee
07-19-2007, 01:12 PM
Is it just me, or is this the summer of bereavement for the Reds? Sorry to hear about Harang's grandfather.

KronoRed
07-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Ahh Stone...

Sad news on Harang :(

indy_dave00
07-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Oh great Ricky (i'm doing it with mirrors in minors) Stone is back . He worked two games at Louisville when he went back down , allow 0 runs in 2 inning but allowed 5 hits . He gets away with experience in AAA , but won't work in the bigs.

His last time up 3 homers allowed in a combined 3 1/3 innings should have proved that.

Brad Salmon pitched better than him when he was in Cincy -why not recall him? Stone has no future in Cincy , Salmon might let him gain more experience even if its only a short 3-5 day stay.

RedsFan75
07-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Yeah sad to hear about Harang's Granddad, but Stone???? Color me befuddled!

Matt700wlw
07-19-2007, 01:37 PM
All the best to Aaron Harang.....

Ricky Stone serves no purpose back up here...

BCubb2003
07-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Is it just me, or is this the summer of bereavement for the Reds? Sorry to hear about Harang's grandfather.

It's a more humane way to treat people, but I can't help thinking about how different it is from a generation or so ago. I wonder what Jimmy Dugan would have thought of the bereavement list.

HotCorner
07-19-2007, 02:15 PM
Ricky Stone was the best option?

M2
07-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Harang just started yesterday. He's not due to pitch again until Monday. Just curious, but did the club have to make any roster moves for this one?

Wonder if the Reds placed Milton on the 60-DL retroactive to a past date or if he's there with a 7/19 start date? If it's the latter then he'd be ineligible to pitch until 9/13, though I assume he's never taking the field in a Reds uniform again.

corkedbat
07-19-2007, 02:48 PM
I'd rather give Medlock a shot

Kc61
07-19-2007, 02:54 PM
I'd rather give Medlock a shot

His ERA is 8.44 at Louisville.

BRM
07-19-2007, 02:57 PM

He's pitched 10.2 innings there.

M2
07-19-2007, 03:03 PM

I imagine that number will come down swiftly, but he probably needs to spend the rest of the season adjusting to the higher level of competition.

Heath
07-19-2007, 03:07 PM
I imagine that number will come down swiftly, but he probably needs to spend the rest of the season adjusting to the higher level of competition.

I think Calvin Medlock will be pressing some folks next spring for a bullpen spot.

Couter's been pitching well of late for a loogy.

Reds1
07-19-2007, 03:09 PM
IT's not about best choice, it's probably about just having him up here for 4 days and is gone and they probably don't think Bray is ready. He may not even pitch. Who knows. Might as well get someone up here for emergencies. Especially after a 15 inning game.

Danny Serafini
07-19-2007, 03:11 PM

Reasons 1 and 2 why Medlock shouldn't be called up. There's no rush, let him develop and give him a shot in the spring.

BRM
07-19-2007, 03:56 PM
Reasons 1 and 2 why Medlock shouldn't be called up. There's no rush, let him develop and give him a shot in the spring.

I agree. Let him finish the year in Louisville.

Eric_Davis
07-19-2007, 03:56 PM
I'm going to guess the REDS no more about Ricky Stone's ability to pitch in the Majors right now than we do. Not that they haven't been wrong before, but there may be something different we don't know about with Mr. Stone.

IslandRed
07-19-2007, 04:11 PM
IMight as well get someone up here for emergencies. Especially after a 15 inning game.

Bingo. We have a used-up bullpen. Stone can soak up a long-relief outing should it be necessary in the next couple of days, and go right back out when Harang returns.

Caveat Emperor
07-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Wonder if the Reds placed Milton on the 60-DL retroactive to a past date or if he's there with a 7/19 start date? If it's the latter then he'd be ineligible to pitch until 9/13, though I assume he's never taking the field in a Reds uniform again.

The end of an ERA in Cincinnati -- one that I'm not sorry at all to get off the books.

Though, I guess its something I can look back on and laugh should the Reds ever find their way to contention again.

MartyFan
07-19-2007, 04:42 PM
I think Stone is a guy that can go long or short for the Reds and if he stinks it up they can release him sort of like a couple other guys who were brought up and down from AAA this year.

Matt700wlw
07-19-2007, 04:45 PM
The end of an ERA in Cincinnati -- one that I'm not sorry at all to get off the books.

Though, I guess its something I can look back on and laugh should the Reds ever find their way to contention again.

I wonder if they'll offer him a minor league contract with an invite to Spring Training...:D

M2
07-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Why can't they just keep a bullpen of:

Weathers
Stanton
Coffey
Saarloos
Coutlangus
Salmon
Burton/McBeth

That's seven guys. No need to call up Stone. No need to throw another Majewski on the fire. No need to rush Medlock. If there's some trades or injuries then they can crank up Louisville shuttle, but barring that I'd think the above guys will handle the job as well as anyone the franchise currently has on hand.

camisadelgolf
07-19-2007, 04:56 PM
As others have said, the Reds have had to use a lot of bullpen arms lately, so it was a good idea to bring up a reliever. The benefit to calling up Stone is that the Reds don't have to worry about arbitration times on the young guys in AAA, and you know Stone will accept his assignment when he's designated.

Matt700wlw
07-19-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm going to guess the REDS no more about Ricky Stone's ability to pitch in the Majors right now than we do. Not that they haven't been wrong before, but there may be something different we don't know about with Mr. Stone.

I know what I saw last time he was up...

IslandRed
07-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Why can't they just keep a bullpen of:

Weathers
Stanton
Coffey
Saarloos
Coutlangus
Salmon
Burton/McBeth

That's seven guys. No need to call up Stone. No need to throw another Majewski on the fire. No need to rush Medlock. If there's some trades or injuries then they can crank up Louisville shuttle, but barring that I'd think the above guys will handle the job as well as anyone the franchise currently has on hand.

In general, I agree, but no one had to go down for Stone's sake. If we hadn't played a 15-inning bullpen-sapper yesterday, then maybe it wouldn't be worth the trouble, but why not take advantage of the free chance to have an extra arm for tonight?

BRM
07-20-2007, 11:45 AM
I thought this was a funny blurb from rotoworld.

The Reds said Aaron Harang is expected back to make his scheduled start Monday after being placed on the bereavement list Thursday.

So they admit that it's simply a free roster spot. It's hardly fair to their opponent tonight, the Marlins, who are working with a 25-man roster. Then again, the Reds replaced Harang with Ricky Stone, so it's pretty much subtraction by addition.

redsmetz
07-20-2007, 01:01 PM
In general, I agree, but no one had to go down for Stone's sake. If we hadn't played a 15-inning bullpen-sapper yesterday, then maybe it wouldn't be worth the trouble, but why not take advantage of the free chance to have an extra arm for tonight?

I basically agree. Stone (and Moeller) are two guys they can routinely DFA and they'll go back to Louisville. He's here in an emergency, nothing more and there's no need to do any further roster shuffling.

indy_dave00
07-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Please after watching Ricky Stone pitch tonite he'll get someone killed.

He pitches 1 inning , allows a homer, triple and double and 3 runs , was starting to think he might allow the Marlins to hit for the cycle in one inning. Sorry Ricky has no business in the majors.

4 1/3 innings - 7 hits- 6 earned runs-4 homers allowed 12.46 era.

camisadelgolf
07-20-2007, 10:27 PM
They brought Stone up to do exactly what he did tonight--just throw a junk inning or two in a game in which the outcome was already decided. Soon, Stone will be DFAed, and they won't have to be concerned with him taking up a spot on the 40-man roster while his service time goes up, and the young relievers' service time stays low.