PDA

View Full Version : Bailey on DL with hurt groin

Johnny Footstool
07-19-2007, 05:48 PM
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/2007/07/homer-on-dl.asp

Not quite the injury some folks were talking about on another thread, but an injury nonetheless.

Homer Bailey has been placed on the disabled list at Triple-A Louisville because of a strained right groin.
Even though he might not miss more than one start, this is a definite setback for his chances of rejoining the Reds anytime soon. Now it looks like he might stay in the minors until September. Bobby Livingston will probably stick as the Reds' fifth starter.

Matt700wlw
07-19-2007, 05:49 PM
Could explain his "lack of velocity" lately

Aronchis
07-19-2007, 05:52 PM

I am trying to figure out this "lack of velocity" BS. Myth's are created I guess.

Matt700wlw
07-19-2007, 05:55 PM
I am trying to figure out this "lack of velocity" BS. Myth's are created I guess.

That's what I hear...his velocity is down...

Is it? "touching" 97 and "throwing" 97 are two different things...was it reported as "throwing" when it should have been "touching?"

KronoRed
07-19-2007, 05:56 PM
He should not be back up here till September, MAYBE

Aronchis
07-19-2007, 06:00 PM
That's what I hear...his velocity is down...

Is it?

Nope. Bailey's "comfort" level has always been in the 92-94 range. He has ranged up to 95-98 at times, but never consistantly

The fact is, the "lack" of velocity bs is nothing more than myth. They act like Bailey was throwing 97-98 CONSISTANTLY last year when some games he didn't even reach 97 in AA. On the better days he did. Heck, his game against the Cards he touched 97 a couple of times.

The guy is 21 years old with unrefined stuff. That is the truth. It is like talking to children. They simply don't get it and want reasons for Bailey's failure rather than the most logical answer: "Bailey isn't ready yet". If the Reds had kept this motto, he never touched Cincy this year.

Highlifeman21
07-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Nope. Bailey's "comfort" level has always been in the 92-94 range. He has ranged up to 95-98 at times, but never consistantly

The fact is, the "lack" of velocity bs is nothing more than myth. They act like Bailey was throwing 97-98 CONSISTANTLY last year when some games he didn't even reach 97 in AA. On the better days he did. Heck, his game against the Cards he touched 97 a couple of times.

The guy is 21 years old with unrefined stuff. That is the truth. It is like talking to children. They simply don't get it and want reasons for Bailey's failure rather than the most logical answer: "Bailey isn't ready yet". If the Reds had kept this motto, he never touched Cincy this year.

He shouldn't have been brought up until September at the earliest, and it can't be ignored that his groin injury might have something to do with him not being mature both physically and as a pitcher.

As for Bailey's velocity, it's been all over the map, much like his control. In games for the Reds, his velocity has been between 88 and 96 for his fastball. Granted, some of those high 80's velocity numbers came at the end of some of his outings, when he's expected to be tired.

Bottomline, the kid wasn't ready, still isn't ready, and needs to get healthy for 2008 going forward.

At least the Reds did the right thing and finally got rid of Jerry Narron, who was the biggest obstacle and or setback to Bailey's development. Under Narron, Bailey was only destined for a dead arm.

M2
07-19-2007, 06:32 PM

Fair point. The franchise certainly got overly anxious with him. I'd have started him in AA again just to keep that AAA buffer between him and the majors.

On the injury front, what's worried me more about his velocity is that it seemed to drop after a few innings. That could be lack of a frame that helps him maintain his velocity, but it could also be a ache or pain that gets more acute as the innings pile up.

vaticanplum
07-19-2007, 08:28 PM

It is my understanding that an injured groin does indeed hamper velocity.

Matt700wlw
07-19-2007, 08:47 PM
It is my understanding that an injured groin does indeed hamper velocity.

I can imagine it would....maybe there is something to the "lack of velocity" argument :)

GAC
07-19-2007, 08:51 PM
He should not be back up here till September, MAYBE

he shoudn't be back up until he shows evidence of mastering his secondary pitches.... or he is another Kerry Woods waiting to happen IMHO.

LoganBuck
07-19-2007, 10:15 PM
As for Bailey's velocity, it's been all over the map, much like his control. In games for the Reds, his velocity has been between 88 and 96 for his fastball. Granted, some of those high 80's velocity numbers came at the end of some of his outings, when he's expected to be tired.

Homer throws two fastballs, a two seamer and a four seamer, the two seamer is the 88-92 mph pitch that has more movement, the four seamer is the one that sits 93-96+ it is straighter. The two seamer is his go to pitch.

guttle11
07-19-2007, 10:17 PM
Can we not mention the words "groin" and "lack of velocity" in the same sentence anymore? :ughmamoru

RANDY IN INDY
07-19-2007, 10:50 PM
How long has the groin been a problem? If it just happened, I don't see how it affected anything. A lot of pure speculation going on.

For what it's worth, I thought that he looked real good in his last start with the Reds.

RFS62
07-19-2007, 10:53 PM
The thing that bothered me about him coming up from the start was what if he reached back for something extra a few times since his secondary pitches were clearly not ready.

That's the kind of stuff that causes you to alter your mechanics and can lead to all different kinds of injuries.

It was a bad idea from the start, IMO.

RANDY IN INDY
07-19-2007, 11:00 PM
He needs work. I think he does have a "plus" curveball when he can get it across. He needs to develop a changeup with that kind of fastball. I'm really surprised that he doesn't have one.

Superdude
07-19-2007, 11:07 PM
He needs to develop a changeup with that kind of fastball. I'm really surprised that he doesn't have one.

He has a pretty serviceable changeup, but like his curveball, the consistency is not there at all.

BRM
07-20-2007, 01:43 PM
Looks like Bailey will be out for at least two weeks. Per C. Trent.

BAILEY UPDATE: RHP Homer Bailey yesterday went on Louisville's disabled list with a strained right groin...he was examined today in Cincinnati by Reds medical director Dr. Timothy Kremchek, who diagnosed the strain as moderate...Bailey will be examined again in 2 weeks...he also was on Louisville's DL with a strained right groin from 5/14-5/21.

nate
07-20-2007, 02:18 PM
I never realized one could have a left and right groin!

nate
07-20-2007, 02:20 PM
I watched his last start online. He had some good-looking breaking pitches and some really bad-looking ones. Of the good ones, a few had great location and he threw them for strikes. The rest missed and the hitters didn't seem fooled.

I didn't appear to be throwing the 2-seamer as much. Working more on the 4-seamer and changeup. Hard to see that little run on the little video viewer thingy though.

Matt700wlw
07-20-2007, 02:54 PM
He needs work. I think he does have a "plus" curveball when he can get it across. He needs to develop a changeup with that kind of fastball. I'm really surprised that he doesn't have one.

When he gets his curve over, which I've seen him do a couple of times when he was here, it's flat nasty.

It's such a nice pitch.....with time, it will become a consistant weapon in his arsenal.

Roy Tucker
07-27-2007, 09:01 AM
Update on Homer's groin. Sounds like its been ongoing and it did affect his velocity.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070727/SPT04/707270355/

HOMER THROWS: Homer Bailey threw Thursday for the first time since straining his right groin. He just played catch and said he thinks he's still two weeks or more away from pitching again.

Bailey said he suffered the injury throwing off a wet mound in Philadelphia in late June.

"I kept playing through it, and I was going down there (to Louisville) and trying to do too much," Bailey said.

He said it affected his velocity.

"Playing with a pulled groin isn't that big of a deal," he said. "When you feel it in your shoulder, that's when you have to call time out."

GAC
07-27-2007, 09:10 AM
The thing that bothered me about him coming up from the start was what if he reached back for something extra a few times since his secondary pitches were clearly not ready.

That's the kind of stuff that causes you to alter your mechanics and can lead to all different kinds of injuries.

It was a bad idea from the start, IMO.

And from what I read, he knew when he pulled/strained it (he said while stepping off the mound). It seems he understood the pressure (emphasis) placed upon him in this call-up, with all eyes on him, and didn't want to let anyone down, so he tried to "play through it." Which was foolish, and he realized that.

bucksfan2
07-27-2007, 09:13 AM
I believe that he went on the DL earlier in the season for a groin injury. While this may not be serious it is a nagging injury that will effect your velocity. The only true way to heal a strained groin is to rest it.