PDA

View Full Version : Palm Springs?????

red-in-la
07-20-2007, 12:43 PM
I now live about 20 minutes from Palm Springs and I was wondering if there is still a ML team there. At one point, I thought the Padres AAA team was there but their websites says they are in Portland (the land of WOY).

I can't find any other references.

Also, the Padres A team is on Lake Elsinore.....a bit farther way.....does anybody think it is worth going to A ball games if you grew up going to Crosley Field and Riverfront Stadium (BRM)?

Yachtzee
07-20-2007, 12:54 PM
I now live about 20 minutes from Palm Springs and I was wondering if there is still a ML team there. At one point, I thought the Padres AAA team was there but their websites says they are in Portland (the land of WOY).

I can't find any other references.

Also, the Padres A team is on Lake Elsinore.....a bit farther way.....does anybody think it is worth going to A ball games if you grew up going to Crosley Field and Riverfront Stadium (BRM)?

You should try it out at least once. You might be surprised and find you enjoy it. I was skeptical about going to minor league games until saw the AA Akron Aeros play back in 2001. I loved it. Teams seem to focus their attention towards the fans more, but in a good way. Treat you nice, have fun contests between innings, no loud music blasting over the PA. It's also pretty cool when you see one of the guys you saw play make it to the big leagues.

dabvu2498
07-20-2007, 12:55 PM
San Benardino is fairly close, isn't it?

I concur with Yachtzee. On many levels, I'd just as soon go to a minor league game than a major league game.

Spitball
07-20-2007, 12:57 PM
I think they lost their team about ten years ago.

Please don't change your name to red-almost in-palm springs. ;)

pedro
07-20-2007, 01:02 PM
I think they lost their team about ten years ago.

Please don't change your name to red-almost in-palm springs. ;)

or "red-in-la of palm springs"

remdog
07-22-2007, 04:33 AM
I've been to both the Lake Elsinore park and the San Berdo park.

LE is a really nice place to see a ball game. It's about 10 years old and has nice sightlines. Out in left field they have an enclosed bar and restaurant a la Jacobs Field. On the one side of the room you can watch the ballgame while you eat and/or drink, on the other side you have a nice view of the lake. In the same area they also have outdoor picnic tables and (IIRC) grills.

One time I drove out there to catch a game and I was walking to the ticket window to buy a ticket. A (very attractive) woman approached me and asked if I needed a ticket to the game. I said yes and she offered me a ticket for free. Ended up in her company's box about three rows behind home plate. Her company was the gym where the Storm (name of the Pads farm team there) worked out.

The San Bernadino park was built with the hope that the city would eventually attract a AAA team. Ergo, the lighting is AAA standards and they built the park to be easily expanded. It's been about 9 years since I've been there but, if things are still the same, I recall that there isn't much shade and I'd probably go to a night game there. A relatively short right field but a pretty high wall IIRC. One thing I definately recall were the nice looking parking lot attendants in mini-skirts and high heels. :)

Rem