PDA

View Full Version : Rosenthal: NYY interested in Dunn

edabbs44
07-24-2007, 07:49 AM
Quick scan of the Tampa roster shows Austin Jackson and Jose Tabata as being two hyped prospects currently on the team.

Rangers' price is high for Teixeira
Ken Rosenthal

In one version of the Braves' second-half blueprint, right-hander Jon Garland would have been their No. 3 starter, Yunel Escobar their shortstop and Mark Teixeira their first baseman.

A proposed trade of shortstop Edgar Renteria and a pitching prospect for the White Sox's Garland failed to materialize, but the acquisition of Teixeira remains possible, major-league sources say.
Maybe the next week won't be so quiet after all.

The Renteria-Garland near-miss indicates that blockbusters are indeed being discussed, and the rising interest in players such as Teixeira and Reds left fielder Adam Dunn is a further sign talks are intensifying.

The Braves and Angels are believed to be the most aggressive teams on Teixeira, with the Yankees, Red Sox and Giants on the periphery. The Yankees also might be pursuing Dunn, whom they could play at first base; the Reds scouted the Yankees' Class A Tampa affiliate Monday night.

The Rangers, according to one source, think the chances of a Teixeira deal are "50-50." The Braves surely are intrigued by the possibility of a lineup that would include two switch-hitters with power, Teixeira and Chipper Jones, through next season.

The question is price.

The Braves won't move Escobar; they clearly envision the rookie as their shortstop of the future if they were willing to make him the replacement for Renteria in the middle of a pennant race.

Yet, the Braves evidently believed they had enough other talent to land Garland and Teixeira in separate deals. And if they were creative enough to figure all that out, who's to say they won't come up with an equally intriguing Plan B?

Catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia, another top Braves' prospect, almost certainly is one of the Rangers' prime targets. The Braves are reluctant to part with "Salty," who could end up at first base. But they would have no place to play him if they had Teixeria through '08; catcher Brian McCann is signed through 2012 with a club option for '13.

Perhaps the Braves would be willing to part with Saltalamacchia in a larger deal if they could also obtain one of the Rangers' relievers. The Rangers, however, are involved in multiple discussions with other teams; their entire bullpen is in play, as are outfielders Kenny Lofton, Brad Wilkerson and Sammy Sosa. If the Angels, or some other club, met the price for Teixeira, the Rangers could trade a reliever or two for other parts.

One rival general manager says that if he were in the Braves' position, he would do Saltalamacchia-for-Teixeira straight up; Teixeira, a prolific hitter and Gold Glove defender, could be that big of a difference-maker, the GM says.

The Braves, though, would be giving the Rangers not just a premium young talent, but also significant salary relief. In recent years, clubs have been willing to grant one or the other, but not both.

Teixeira is earning $9 million this season, and his salary could rise to $12 million next season in his final year of arbitration. It is almost certain he would not sign a contract extension before becoming a free agent; his agent, Scott Boras, prefers his clients' values to be determined on the open market.

Still, think of the upside.

Teixeira would give the Braves lineup protection against the likely departure of center fielder Andruw Jones as a free agent at the end of the season. He also might be open to staying in Atlanta long-term; he lived in the city while playing at Georgia Tech.

His addition wouldn't solve the Braves' rotation concerns — that was the idea behind adding Garland, who would have been a strong complement to righties John Smoltz and Tim Hudson. But he would ensure that the Braves' first-base production no longer would be the worst in the majors, transforming a good offense into an elite one.

One thing is clear: The Braves are thinking big.

No doubt, other teams are, too.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7053996

redsrule2500
07-24-2007, 08:16 AM
Basically, some guy saw Reds scouts at Tampa and made up a trade rumor to go along with it ;)

redsmetz
07-24-2007, 08:20 AM
I will say this about rumors - at this point, I think, anything is possible. I think there are few sacred cows on our roster. I do like that WK seems to, if reports are to be believed, working the system and letting other teams know the Cincinnati Reds won't be bargain basement central. I don't know that for a fact, but indications seem to be he's look for top return for our players.

edabbs44
07-24-2007, 08:22 AM
I will say this about rumors - at this point, I think, anything is possible. I think there are few sacred cows on our roster. I do like that WK seems to, if reports are to be believed, working the system and letting other teams know the Cincinnati Reds won't be bargain basement central. I don't know that for a fact, but indications seem to be he's look for top return for our players.

Have to agree...the worst thing these rumors can do is stir up interest in the available players. I guess it could also anger the natives on the board, but as long as he gets optimal return for the players he trades WK will have done a good job at the deadline.

Dan
07-24-2007, 08:57 AM
Chase Wright (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Chase%20Wright&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=451657) is the player the Reds ought to pursue out of the Yankees organization. (Look at his sick GO/AO numbers this year.)

edabbs44
07-24-2007, 09:06 AM
Chase Wright (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Chase%20Wright&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=451657) is the player the Reds ought to pursue out of the Yankees organization. (Look at his sick GO/AO numbers this year.)

I don't know..his numbers aren't all that impressive. Especially his BB/K ratio.

SteelSD
07-24-2007, 09:08 AM

1.45 between AA and AAA. That's really not a dominant GB rate. Good HR rates, but a history of pretty serious control issues as well. Maybe as a throw-in.

NJReds
07-24-2007, 09:10 AM
If the Reds are scouting A ball players, it's for Weathers and/or Conine. Not Dunn.

edabbs44
07-24-2007, 09:20 AM
If the Reds are scouting A ball players, it's for Weathers and/or Conine. Not Dunn.

Didn't say that's all they were scouting... ;)

Red Leader
07-24-2007, 10:11 AM
I'd be pretty happy with a Weathers + Stubbs for Jose Tabata / Chase Wright (or other pitching prospect) trade.

NJReds
07-24-2007, 10:20 AM
I wasn't impressed with Wright during his brief stint in the majors.

MrCinatit
07-24-2007, 10:30 AM

I certainly hope so.
Unless he is traded for a couple of complete can't-miss studs, I would be disappointed to see Dunn traded for a couple of A prospects.

jojo
07-24-2007, 10:36 AM
Have to agree...the worst thing these rumors can do is stir up interest in the available players. I guess it could also anger the natives on the board, but as long as he gets optimal return for the players he trades WK will have done a good job at the deadline.

Most of these rumors are for the fans. It's eyecandy to get us to click a website or flip to ESPN. Really a majority of this stuff isn't even rumor. It's a talking head scanning the rosters of the dregs and the titans and then supposing what might be a move that fits.

fearofpopvol1
07-24-2007, 11:15 AM
I want Tyler Clippard!

Red Leader
07-24-2007, 11:17 AM
I want Tyler Clippard!

Hard to tell what the heck the Yankees are doing with T-Clip. He went from the majors to AA. He was demoted when they promoted Joba. Sounds like a kid they'd be willing to give up. I think he's an interesting prospect and wouldn't mind if he were included at all.

fearofpopvol1
07-24-2007, 11:22 AM
Hard to tell what the heck the Yankees are doing with T-Clip. He went from the majors to AA. He was demoted when they promoted Joba. Sounds like a kid they'd be willing to give up. I think he's an interesting prospect and wouldn't mind if he were included at all.

Yeah I agree. The night he pitched in the majors (the team he pitched against now is escaping me), he looked really solid. He had an interesting and deceptive delivery and he was fooling a lot of really good hitters. I'd for sure target him.

Red Leader
07-24-2007, 11:26 AM
He beat the Mets, White Sox, and Blue Jays. Lost to the Angels and pitched like crap against the Pirates and Mets (2nd time) without getting a decision in those two games before being demoted.

fearofpopvol1
07-24-2007, 11:37 AM
Okay, it was the Mets game I saw. Didn't realize he had that many more starts. After looking at his stats, he'd probably be ready for the majors next year I'd think.

I'd go for him.

BrooklynRedz
07-24-2007, 11:38 AM
I certainly hope so.
Unless he is traded for a couple of complete can't-miss studs, I would be disappointed to see Dunn traded for a couple of A prospects.

There's no such thing as a can't-miss single-A prospect.