PDA

View Full Version : Why they call it the World Series?

Jim Fazio
07-24-2007, 09:22 AM
Always wondered why MLB calls it the World Series when only teams from the United States and a couple Canadien teams play. Others countries don't, so how can they call it that?

EddieMilner
07-24-2007, 10:41 AM
It's because the US rules. We are the best at everything.

:usa:

Ludwig Reds Fan
07-24-2007, 11:27 AM
Same reason we have inches, baseball, and soccer.

FlightRick
07-24-2007, 11:40 AM
Funny. I'd have phrased it "Same reason we have inches. And don't have soccer." No matter how hard ESPN tried to make it seem otherwise in the past week.

And it seems -- no matter what they call the determining game(s) -- all other major North American sports promotions call their eventual season-ending winner the "World Champions," so it's not exclusive to baseball. And it's not entirely inapporpriate, either. Other than this obscure "soccer" of which you speak and auto racing (where Formula One is clearly the pinnacle), the sports big enough to have any sort of reasonable international following have send their most talented performers and base their signature leagues in America.

Orenda
07-24-2007, 02:22 PM
World Series...no Cuba

BucSappy
07-24-2007, 02:53 PM
I agree. Super Bowl champs aren't world champions. Same for NBA, MLB, etc. etc.

Only truly World Champs are in Olympics and the World Cup.

Chi-Town Red
07-24-2007, 09:43 PM
its the best league from players around the world....a little backwards

mroby85
07-24-2007, 10:09 PM
I agree. Super Bowl champs aren't world champions. Same for NBA, MLB, etc. etc.

Only truly World Champs are in Olympics and the World Cup.

i disagree, just because the whole world isn't involved doesn't mean they aren't the best in the world.

the super bowl champions are World Champions, because there is no one in the world better. the worlds best play in the NFL.

George Anderson
07-24-2007, 10:21 PM
The World Series has had this name since the very first series was played in 1903. An argument can be made that it no longer is a "World Series" since the United States is the only country involved. However I dont see MLB changing the name any time soon if for any other reason than tradition!!

BurgervilleBuck
07-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Other than this obscure "soccer" of which you speak...
A sport so obscure, the whole world plays it. MLB only wishes it had that sort of popularity.

"...you (Americans) play baseball, the World Series. You've won every year, America's won every year in that. Well done, America." -- Eddie Izzard

FlightRick
07-25-2007, 11:21 AM
I believe your irony-meter needs calibrating, BBuck. Either that, or you're one of those types of soccer fans who gets overly defensive about the fact that soccer just isn't all that big in the US.

But I like to give the benefit of the doubt to any man who can bust out an Izzard quote, so let's go with the former.

My stance remains: the best players in the world are in MLB (same with the other major sports leagues based here). Players from other places come here to play at the highest level. And in return, on the rare occassions the US turns out a world class soccer player (or a top shelf race car driver), we send him to Europe to perform at the top of his profession. It's a give and take. The "World" champ monnicker is fine with me as long as it's universally agreed that the best players in the world are competing for that title.

rotnoid
07-25-2007, 11:43 AM
World Series...no Cuba

That argument won't hold water. They're not being excluded by MLB. In fact, they've been historically welcome when they can get out.

Orenda
07-27-2007, 08:03 AM
That argument won't hold water. They're not being excluded by MLB. In fact, they've been historically welcome when they can get out.

Yes that is true, but you would be a fool to not relize all the talent on that island which doesnt get out.

tripleaaaron
07-27-2007, 07:14 PM
I've always been interested, here is what I've found:

per http://www.baseball-almanac.com/ws/wsmenu.shtml:

"Although the "Fall Classic" as we know it didn't begin until 1903, Major League Baseball had several versions of a post-season championship series before that. In 1884, the Providence Grays of the National League outplayed the New York Metropolitan Club of the American Association in a three game series for what was originally called "The Championship of the United States." Several newspapers penned the Grays as "World Champions" and the new title stuck. Over the next six years, different variations took place between the National League and American Association pennant-winners, ranging in length from six to fifteen games. The American Association folded unexpectedly after the 1891 season forcing a suspension of the series. The following year, the National League absorbed four of the American Association's former franchises and expanded to twelve teams in an effort to promote the growth of baseball and maintain the public's interest. They played a split season in which the first-half winner played the second-half winner for the league championship. Many fans did not support the new system and the split season was promptly dropped in 1893."
Origin of the Name "World Series"

One baseball myth that just won't die is that the "World Series" was named for the New York World newspaper, which supposedly sponsored the earliest contests. It didn't, and it wasn't.

In fact, the postseason series between the AL and NL champs was originally known as the "Championship of the World" or "World's Championship Series." That was shortened through usage to "World's Series" and finally to "World Series."

This usage can be traced through the annual baseball guides. Spalding's Base Ball Guide for 1887 reported the results of the 1886 postseason series between Chicago, champions of the National League, and St. Louis, champions of the American Association, under the heading "The World's Championship." As the editor noted, the two leagues "both entitle their championship contests each season as those for the base ball championship of the United States," so a more grandiose name was required to describe the postseason showdown between the two "champions of the United States."

But the Spalding Guide -- which, after all, was published by one of the world's largest sporting goods companies, with a vested interest in bringing baseball to other lands -- had grander ambitions. By 1890, the Spalding Guide was explaining that "[t]he base ball championship of the United States necessarily includes that of the entire world, though the time will come when Australia will step in as a rival, and after that country will come Great Britain; but all that is for the future."

This didn't happen, but the name "World's Championship Series" stuck. Reporting on the first modern postseason series, the Red Sox-Pirates battle of 1903, the 1904 Reach Guide called it the "World's Championship Series." By 1912, Reach's headline spoke of the "World's Series," while editor Francis Richter's text still referred to the "World's Championship Series." The Reach Guide switched from "World's Series" to "World Series" in 1931, retaining the modern usage through its merger with the Spalding Guide and through its final issue in 1941. The separately-edited Spalding Guide used "World's Series" through 1916, switching to "World Series" in the 1917 edition.

The Spalding-Reach Guide was replaced as Major League Baseball's semi-official annual by the Sporting News Guide, first published in 1942. The Sporting News Guide used "World's Series" from 1942 through 1963, changing to "World Series" in the 1964 edition.
Per Origin of the Name "World Series"

Moreover, the New York World never claimed any connection with postseason baseball. The World was a tabloid much given to flamboyant self-promotion. If it had been involved in any way with sponsoring a championship series, the fact would have been emblazoned across its sports pages for months. I reviewed every issue of the World for the months leading up to the 1903 and 1905 World's Championship Series -- there's not a word suggesting any link between the paper and the series.