PDA

View Full Version : Guess what? An Adam Dunn rumor

11larkin11
07-24-2007, 05:42 PM
from Baseball Prospectus...

The Reds seem less and less likely to make a big move. Every deal for Adam Dunn has been scuttled early by Dunn's option being voided by a deal and by Wayne Krivsky's asking price. One wild scenario that's been thrown out there is a deal with the Yankees, where Dunn could fill in for Jason Giambi and the Reds would get back Shelley Duncan and Jeff Karstens, plus one more prospect. That doesn't seem like the right kind of return, so I'm discounting the rumor, though it does add some credence to another rumor--that of Walt Jocketty to Cincinnati. I'll let you connect the dots.

A lot of people have wondered if Dave Duncan would come with LaRussa and Jocketty here, leaving his son. I think they meant he would if his other son is here.

Sea Ray
07-24-2007, 05:45 PM
I don't want any player named "Shelley"

Mario-Rijo
07-24-2007, 05:48 PM
I may be mistaken but I believe that Karstens was dealt for the Molina brother a few days ago. I'll check......disregard that was Kennard, Jeff. Duncan a big RHB with some power? That might have some truth to it.

Rojo
07-24-2007, 05:49 PM

You gotta be tough with a name like Shelly. "How do you dooooo?"

Red Leader
07-24-2007, 05:51 PM
I may be mistaken but I believe that Karstens was dealt for the Molina brother a few days ago. I'll check......disregard that was Kennard, Jeff. Duncan a big RHB with some power? That might have some truth to it.

Jeff (J.D.) Kennard.

Centerville, OH native and the only current shot we have of a major league player emerging from our high school.

gm
07-24-2007, 05:54 PM

"Chief" is a better nickname (if your first name is Sheldon)

Strikes Out Looking
07-24-2007, 05:55 PM
You gotta be tough with a name like Shelly. "How do you dooooo?"

He's actually Dave Duncan, like his father. Shelly is his middle name. I'd rather not have the entire Duncan family in Cincy. It was tried once with the Boone's and ended pretty poorly, IMO.

Tom Servo
07-24-2007, 06:02 PM
He's actually Dave Duncan, like his father. Shelly is his middle name. I'd rather not have the entire Duncan family in Cincy. It was tried once with the Boone's and ended pretty poorly, IMO.
Yeah but I'd suggest Dave Duncan's a much better coach than Bob Boone could ever dream of being.

redsmetz
07-24-2007, 06:08 PM

Shelley Berman says HI

http://www.superchefblog.com/images/shelleyberman_inside300x300.png

Red Leader
07-24-2007, 06:11 PM
Yeah but I'd suggest Dave Duncan's a much better coach than Bob Boone could ever dream of being.

And Matt Boone makes Shelley Duncan look like Babe Ruth.

Yes, another Matt Boone slam. That's 3 on the year so far. The joy never ends... :mooner:

Joseph
07-24-2007, 06:18 PM

Yes, another Matt Boone slam. That's 3 on the year so far. The joy never ends... :mooner:

Did Matt hit on your sister or something? ;)

Red Leader
07-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Did Matt hit on your sister or something? ;)

No. He made me realize I quit baseball too early. If a hack like Matt Boone could play Single A baseball, then damnit, I could have too. I'll always hate him for that.

:laugh: :laugh:

Spitball
07-24-2007, 06:28 PM
...if Dave Duncan would come with LaRussa and Jocketty...

I believe Duncan is the only one I'd really like to see come to Cincy.

Big Klu
07-24-2007, 06:30 PM
Didn't Shelley Duncan do Wheat Thins commercials? No wait, that's Sandy Duncan! :D

Tom Servo
07-24-2007, 06:36 PM
No. He made me realize I quit baseball too early. If a hack like Matt Boone could play Single A baseball, then damnit, I could have too. I'll always hate him for that.

:laugh: :laugh:
You should have changed your last name to Boone. :p:

LincolnparkRed
07-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Jeff (J.D.) Kennard.

Centerville, OH native and the only current shot we have of a major league player emerging from our high school.

Thought maybe Bryan Braswell would get there but I think an arm injury in AA ended it for him. Big kid left hander that pitched two years at Toledo

TOBTTReds
07-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Duncan is a very energetic and fun loving type of guy it seems from one of the games I have watched of his. Seems like a good clubhouse guy, especially if he hits.

Mario-Rijo
07-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Duncan is a very energetic and fun loving type of guy it seems from one of the games I have watched of his. Seems like a good clubhouse guy, especially if he hits.

He is definitely Casey-Esque in his enthusiasm! :)

NJReds
07-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Shelley Duncan reminds me of Shane Spencer.

RedLegSuperStar
07-24-2007, 09:55 PM
Just to throw this out there.. but Shelly Duncan isn't playing tonight. Purhaps he's getting a physical/medical clearance for the Reds?

toledodan
07-24-2007, 11:41 PM

duncan has hit 3 homeruns already for the yankees in limited ABS. :thumbup:

deltachi8
07-24-2007, 11:47 PM

The Machine

jmcclain19
07-24-2007, 11:55 PM
Shelley Duncan is awful awful awful. The Yankees are praying to god someone is dumb and cashes in on his hot week. Pray that it's not the Reds.

11larkin11
07-25-2007, 12:03 AM
And what exactly is wrong with him? Can you go into detail instead of just saying he is awful awful awful.

pahster
07-25-2007, 12:23 AM
His numbers aren't awful, more like solid...ish. Decent power, suspect on base ability. He was having a great year in AAA, going .295/.380/.577/.957. Before this year, he had a career line of .251/.334/.468/.802 in the minors.

blumj
07-25-2007, 01:11 AM
He's old, though.

jmcclain19
07-25-2007, 01:33 AM
He's 26 and has seven professional seasons under his belt. During that seven seasons he's proven he's a middling hitter at a position that needs the strongest bat and plays the lowest position on the defensive scale (and not that well mind you).

The Yankees - Phillip Hughes & Joba Chamberlin aside, have been one of the most talent void systems in baseball for years now - and he's never even had the sniff of prospecthood. That alone isn't a black mark - but the Yankees are notorious for squeezing every last drop of positive spin on their minor league prospects to shine them up - don't you think in seven years someone would have mentioned him anywhere. Sean Henn had a couple of good months in AA two years ago and suddenly he's the next future ace for a team to be named later. His OPS is propped up by his playing two seasons in one of the best hitting ballparks in minor league baseball (Trenton).

We're talking Reds are seriously talking about trading their best hitter for a essentially a minor league journeyman with five good major league games - Bubba Crosby Part Deuce. Five good games does not a career make.

blumj
07-25-2007, 01:51 AM
Even 26 seems generous, unless my math skills have really gone downhill, not that I had many to begin with. His birthdate is listed as 9/29/79. Unless that's a mistake, he's not someone you trade for, maybe not even someone you'd bother to claim off waivers, he's someone you sign as a minor league free agent to keep the kids on your AA team from acting too much like kids.

RANDY IN INDY
07-25-2007, 09:01 AM
I really don't think the Reds are going to trade Adam Dunn unless they are completely blown away by a deal.

RichRed
07-25-2007, 10:44 AM
Even 26 seems generous, unless my math skills have really gone downhill, not that I had many to begin with. His birthdate is listed as 9/29/79. Unless that's a mistake, he's not someone you trade for, maybe not even someone you'd bother to claim off waivers, he's someone you sign as a minor league free agent to keep the kids on your AA team from acting too much like kids.

Yep, this guy's had a breakout season of sorts this season - but as a 27-year old AAA player. Before this season, he was a low BA, low OBP, decent SLG guy who Ks a lot but doesn't walk. In short, as a replacement for Dunn? No thanks.

Oh, and he's actually older than Dunn (by a month or so).

vaticanplum
07-25-2007, 08:05 PM
I think we should start a separate forum for the Dunn rumors. We could call it the Dunn Deck. Adam's Alley. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown).

RedLegSuperStar
07-27-2007, 12:15 PM
MLBTradeRumors.com -

The Diamondbacks have kicked the tires on Adam Dunn. He might make sense as a rental - the D'Backs playoff changes sit between 16-27%, worth fighting for. No doubt they've got a stable of young players to offer.

BrooklynRedz
07-27-2007, 12:31 PM
MLBTradeRumors.com -

Brandon Webb for Dunn straight up?

Jaycint
07-27-2007, 12:49 PM
Brandon Webb for Dunn straight up?

Do we have naked pics of D-Backs brass?

KronoRed
07-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Do we have naked pics of D-Backs brass?

If so I hope they don't get posted

Tom Servo
07-27-2007, 01:40 PM
If we do deal Dunn I would do it with the D'Backs. They have a fairly loaded system.

RedLegSuperStar
07-27-2007, 01:42 PM
If we do deal Dunn I would do it with the D'Backs. They have a fairly loaded system.

Drew and Oswings?

Red Leader
07-27-2007, 02:07 PM

Pre-season Top 10 Prospects for 2007:

1. Justin Upton, of
2. Chris Young, of
3. Carlos Gonzalez, of
4. Alberto Callaspo, 2b
5. Miguel Montero, c
6. Micah Owings, rhp
7. Mark Reynolds, if
8. Dustin Nippert, rhp
9. Tony Pena, rhp
10. Brett Anderson, lhp

Add in young MLB players like Carlos Quentin, Scott Hairston, etc and they have many quality young players to deal.

pedro
07-27-2007, 02:11 PM

1. Justin Upton, of
2. Chris Young, of
3. Carlos Gonzalez, of
4. Alberto Callaspo, 2b
5. Miguel Montero, c
6. Micah Owings, rhp
7. Mark Reynolds, if
8. Dustin Nippert, rhp
9. Tony Pena, rhp
10. Brett Anderson, lhp

Add in young MLB players like Carlos Quentin, Scott Hairston, etc and they have many quality young players to deal.

You lost me at Scott Hairston RL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=5401

Red Leader
07-27-2007, 02:13 PM
You lost me at Scott Hairston RL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=5401

I didn't mean that Hairston should be the centerpiece in any deal.

I do think that he'd be a decent throw in, though, and I know the D-Backs wouldn't mind dealing him.

rdiersin
07-27-2007, 02:15 PM

1. Justin Upton, of
2. Chris Young, of
3. Carlos Gonzalez, of
4. Alberto Callaspo, 2b
5. Miguel Montero, c
6. Micah Owings, rhp
7. Mark Reynolds, if
8. Dustin Nippert, rhp
9. Tony Pena, rhp
10. Brett Anderson, lhp

I wonder if they might think about trading Chris Young for Dunn considering Young's performance and the talk that Upton might be up sometime this year. It would accelerate Upton's timetable, but it might be interesting.

Red Leader
07-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Brooks Brown and Max Scherzer aren't even on that list, either. Either are Yusmeiro Petit or Gerardo Parra.

Jaycint
07-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Not sure if anybody else posted these on another thread, a couple Dunn snippets from BP:

1:45 p.m. ET

Forget Dmitri Young going anywhere. According to Bill Ladson of MLB.com, the Nats are close to signing him to a two-year extension. On the heels of sources telling me that the Nats were looking to collect draft picks, signing Young now is an interesting move. I'm still hearing rumblings that Adam Dunn would welcome a trade to the Nats more than any other team, and telling his friend Austin Kearns that he'd sign there.

The Dodgers aren't shifting their view to starting pitching despite the injuries to Derek Lowe and Randy Wolf. Instead, they're still focused on offense, and could be looking to make a late move on Adam Dunn. The key word--late. According to multiple sources, Dunn is not Plan A or even Plan B, in large part because nobody seems to think that Dunn would re-sign with a West Coast team.

And one other non-Dunn related but somewhat eyebrow raising clip:

The Cardinals are very, very quiet right now, with more rumors focusing on their front office itself instead of what the front office is doing.

KronoRed
07-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Rumor number one there sounds like it came right out of the Washington front office

Jaycint
07-27-2007, 03:19 PM
Rumor number one there sounds like it came right out of the Washington front office

Yep, quite possible. I gotta imagine old Leatherpants is practically wetting himself at the idea of getting his hands on Dunn.

nate
07-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Yep, quite possible. I gotta imagine old Leatherpants is practically wetting himself at the idea of getting his hands on Dunn.

The imagery...my eyes...

Big Klu
07-27-2007, 05:57 PM

Hopefully he ArmorAll'ed his trousers.

http://www.armorall.com/img/products/interior/interior_main_product.jpg