PDA

View Full Version : Krivsky coming on XM right now

RFS62
07-25-2007, 09:24 AM
Tune to 175 for an interview with Wayne.

GAC
07-25-2007, 09:41 AM
Take notes and give us "a full report".... I'm still in 8 tracks and don't have XM. :mooner:

WVRedsFan
07-25-2007, 09:43 AM
This guy is really secretive. But like Martinez said, that's professional for sure.

GAC
07-25-2007, 09:56 AM
This guy is really secretive. But like Martinez said, that's professional for sure.

How is appearing on XM radio, which has a pretty broad national audience, being secretive?

WVRedsFan
07-25-2007, 09:59 AM
How is appearing on XM radio, which has a pretty broad national audience, being secretive?

He really didn't say much. Sounded to me like he's standing pat, but you couldn't tell much by what he said. I missed the first couple of minutes, though.

Chip R
07-25-2007, 10:04 AM

He's going on with a funny nose and glasses. ;)

RedsManRick
07-25-2007, 11:37 AM
The only thing blander than Krivksy is the horrible XM 175 morning show. It's really hard to believe these guys are baseball insiders.

Joseph
07-25-2007, 11:44 AM
The only thing blander than Krivksy is the horrible XM 175 morning show. It's really hard to believe these guys are baseball insiders.

Couldn't agree more.

I think I've stated on here before that I was beyond excited to have a baseball channel on all the time, but Buck and 'the big chair' are not very good at all.

Patrick seems to think he's still working with the Bob and Tom show and tries to splice in morning FM DJ speak and attitude. I know players and manager and coaches aren't going to wake up at 5 AM to be on a radio show all that often, but the lack of any real information is disheartening. Even the 'up to date' news they provide is usually 2 day old junk culled from news papers printed the day before.

Add that to neither of them being very pleasant to listen to, and I find mysely longing for Jim Scott or something instead. [Yes it's that bad].

XM needs to wise up and realize that the people who their target audience is, are primarily baseball geeks, and thus they need to fous less on trying to be kitschy and entertaining, and really just talk baseball.

I swear I'm tired of hearing about the BTM 'kiss' and all that other junk. Its stupid when Rome does it, and its stupid when they try to steal it.

Give us some baseball XM! </rant>

RedLegSuperStar
07-25-2007, 11:52 AM
He really didn't say much. Sounded to me like he's standing pat, but you couldn't tell much by what he said. I missed the first couple of minutes, though.

With all the moves Wayne is making makes me believe they are standing pat as well...

flyer85
07-25-2007, 12:27 PM
I don't know what people were expecting Krivsky might say. We know he isn't going to give the slightest hint of what may be going on behind the scenes.

And yes, the XM morning show is a snoozer.

dabvu2498
07-25-2007, 12:33 PM
And yes, the XM morning show is a snoozer.

When I first got XM, it was Patrick, Buck and Bowa and it was great.

Then it was Patrick, Buck and O and it was OK.

Now it's almost unlistenable.

Razor Shines
07-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Couldn't agree more.

I think I've stated on here before that I was beyond excited to have a baseball channel on all the time, but Buck and 'the big chair' are not very good at all.

Patrick seems to think he's still working with the Bob and Tom show and tries to splice in morning FM DJ speak and attitude. I know players and manager and coaches aren't going to wake up at 5 AM to be on a radio show all that often, but the lack of any real information is disheartening. Even the 'up to date' news they provide is usually 2 day old junk culled from news papers printed the day before.

Add that to neither of them being very pleasant to listen to, and I find mysely longing for Jim Scott or something instead. [Yes it's that bad].

XM needs to wise up and realize that the people who their target audience is, are primarily baseball geeks, and thus they need to fous less on trying to be kitschy and entertaining, and really just talk baseball.

I swear I'm tired of hearing about the BTM 'kiss' and all that other junk. Its stupid when Rome does it, and its stupid when they try to steal it.

That's what Mark Patrick is doing now? I used to like his local sports show in indy. I didn't think he knew much about baseball though, he rarely talked about it.

flyer85
07-25-2007, 12:46 PM
By far the show that I enjoyed the most was listening to Steiner talk to teams beat writers. Got a lot more information about what was going on than the morning(Patrick and Buck) or late afternoon(Kennedy and Dibble) blather.

dabvu2498
07-25-2007, 12:51 PM
By far the show that I enjoyed the most was listening to Steiner talk to teams beat writers. Got a lot more information about what was going on than the morning(Patrick and Buck) or late afternoon(Kennedy and Dibble) blather.

Common denominator: the morning show and Kennedy and Dibbs take calls from the populus.

Steiner does not.

Joseph
07-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Common denominator: the morning show and Kennedy and Dibbs take calls from the populus.

Steiner does not.

Calls don't bother me at all, and D&K at least have more players and such on. It's just that the format they have on the morning show doesn't work, well the ones hosting it don't work. Give me a recap of the previous nights events, some analysis of them perhaps even instead of just saying the Yanks and Sawks won again, and try to promote 'intelligent baseball discussion' as we like to say around these parts.

Instead its a little bit ADD. 'Oh wow, ain't that cool dude?" sort of junk.

flyer85
07-25-2007, 12:56 PM

Steiner does not.the difference is that beat writers generally
1) have a good idea what may be going on behind the scenes
2) actually are willing to talk about it

TOBTTReds
07-25-2007, 12:59 PM
I don't mind Dibs and Kennedy, although I don't think they have great baseball insight as far as how teams should be managed and so forth, they do have great stories about playing, and spring training, and other facets of the game that I don't know too much about.

dabvu2498
07-25-2007, 01:00 PM
Calls don't bother me at all, and D&K at least have more players and such on. It's just that the format they have on the morning show doesn't work, well the ones hosting it don't work. Give me a recap of the previous nights events, some analysis of them perhaps even instead of just saying the Yanks and Sawks won again, and try to promote 'intelligent baseball discussion' as we like to say around these parts.

Instead its a little bit ADD. 'Oh wow, ain't that cool dude?" sort of junk.

the difference is that beat writers generally
1) have a good idea what may be going on behind the scenes
2) actually are willing to talk about it

You guys both call those shows, don'tcha??? ;):D:evil:

Unassisted
07-25-2007, 01:01 PM
When I first got XM, it was Patrick, Buck and Bowa and it was great.

Then it was Patrick, Buck and O and it was OK.

Now it's almost unlistenable.

I'm glad to hear this opinion. I got XM for the first time in May and I have been very underwhelmed by MLB Home Plate. That crew wouldn't last a month if they had to produce ratings as a local radio show.

Joseph
07-25-2007, 01:04 PM
You guys both call those shows, don'tcha??? ;):D:evil:

I admit I've emailed Lance to call him a moron a time or two, but I've never called any show.

Well I take that back. I called 103 KDF in Nashville way back when it was a Rock station and won tickets to the big Jackyl and Collective Soul concert in about 1994.

Thats it, thats the list, as best I can recall it.

And Unassisted, yeah it's not really high quality right now. I didn't expect breaking news, but it's degenerating before our ears really in terms of listenability.

flyer85
07-25-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm glad to hear this opinion. I got XM for the first time in May and I have been very underwhelmed by MLB Home Plate. That crew wouldn't last a month if they had to produce ratings as a local radio show.I quit listening regularly even before Bowa left.

dabvu2498
07-25-2007, 01:15 PM
I quit listening regularly even before Bowa left.

I really, really liked it when Bowa was around.

Martinez has lost it. Doesn't seem to have any energy or enthusiasm. Maybe coaching Team USA in the WBC will do that to a man... :dunno:

OldXOhio
07-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Couldn't agree more.

Ever listen to their PGA Tour coverage on 146? It's worse than Patrick and the gang....although I do like hearing Charlie Steiner on there from time to time.

deltachi8
07-25-2007, 01:47 PM
I have had XM for about a year. I listened to 175 in the AM daily for the first few months, then less and less as time goes by. I like Buck, Liked O...Patrick I think is the main issue with the morning show - he is neither entertaining or informative. If you can't give me both, at least do one reasonably well.

Ltlabner
07-25-2007, 01:57 PM
Well I take that back. I called 103 KDF in Nashville way back when it was a Rock station and won tickets to the big Jackyl and Collective Soul concert in about 1994.

Loved Jackyl. Saw them 3 times in concert. One time was at Bogarts which was the perfect venue for them. Great show.

Strikes Out Looking
07-25-2007, 05:34 PM
I've heard Steiner take calls from time to time.

Patrick is bad when he talks about baseball, when he strays from baseball to other topics he is unlistenable.

Joseph
07-25-2007, 05:40 PM
Sounds like it's time for an email jihad! :)

Old X, I've rarely listened to other sporting events on there. I think there was some hockey coverage I tried one day, but don't really recall it. I listened to the James Carville sports show too. It was so-so.

Lt Ab, I saw Jackyl 3 times myself. That particular show mentioned was one in which the radio station gave away like 25000 to someone in the audience which was kind of cool. I also saw them open for Aerosmith I think it was.

And Delta, I think you hit the nail on the head...be interesting or entertaining if not both, but at least be ONE of them. Patrick is neither. I pray once his contract is up they will replace him.

RedsManRick
07-25-2007, 05:45 PM
The most informative baseball radio show there is that I've heard is the Fantasy 411 on mlb.com. It's certainly a fantasy show, but unlike the XM crap, these guys are up on their stuff and are entertaining.

Even content aside, Buck and the Big Show are simply bad at doing radio. It's awkward, droning, and insults my intelligence. Definitely your classic Lake Woebegone approach to player evaluation.

jmcclain19
07-25-2007, 05:54 PM
I'm not quite sure why they bother having GMs on this time of year. No one is going to tip their hand and it makes for some darn boring radio.

I agree about Patrick & Buck - it was much better with Bowa, now it seems like it tries to be a bad comedy act. Kennedy & Dibble are just about unlistenable - pretty awful all around. That show is almost all Yanks/Red Sox/Dodgers and it gets old real fast.

Steiner's show is good - I actually read somewhere that his taking the XM gig was contingent on him not having to take calls or have players or managers on. He just wanted to have his "friends" on - the beat writers.

MLB Homeplate's show at 9am West Coast Time - Jeff from Rotowire.com's Fantasy show - is excellent simply because he has injury experts, as well as folks from Baseball America & Baseball Prospectus on it all the time.

And Holden Kushner's late night show is above average as well.