PDA

View Full Version : Y.A.D.R. (Yet Another Dunn Rumor)

nate
07-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Here's (http://bleedcubbieblue.com/story/2007/7/24/1585/14982) another one. Its on the internet so it must be __________. This one is especially rich because of the "FOAF" (Friend of a Friend) element.

Enjoy!

Reds1
07-25-2007, 04:37 PM
I'm laughing out loud right now. Thanks though. If this comes to be true I'll eat my underwear! :) - just kidding on that.

oneupper
I can really see him trading to Chicago by Thursday or Friday, when the REDs face the Cubs.
:p:

Falls City Beer
Dunn would certainly put the Cubbies over the top in the division. You'd have to say they were WS contenders with Dunn around.

nate
07-25-2007, 04:45 PM
Dunn would certainly put the Cubbies over the top in the division. You'd have to say they were WS contenders with Dunn around.

Contenders, perhaps...

but its the Cubs.

CTA513
07-25-2007, 04:48 PM
Im guessing that if the rumor is true that Soriano would move to right field so Dunn could play left field.

:dunno:

Outshined_One
07-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Im guessing that if the rumor is true that Soriano would move to right field so Dunn could play left field.

:dunno:

Actually, Dunn would probably play RF in that scenario. Piniella seems fairly intent on keeping Soriano in LF despite the fact that Jacque Jones, Cliff Floyd, and Matt Murton are all more suited for LF than RF.

Oddly enough, Dunn might be on par with, if not an *gulp* upgrade over, those three in RF...

flyer85
07-25-2007, 04:56 PM
Aren't the Cubbies still in the process of being sold?

LoganBuck
07-25-2007, 05:04 PM
Maybe his friend meant the White Sox :D

They are supposed to be close to trading both Dye and Konerko.

Outshined_One
07-25-2007, 05:12 PM
Aren't the Cubbies still in the process of being sold?

Yes.

I mentioned this in another thread, but the most visible people in the front office (namely Jim Hendry and John McDonough) have both come out and said that the team has flexibility to add payroll at the trade deadline. However, no one knows how much money they can add, whether they can take on any contracts which go beyond this year, or if that's all just bunk in the first place. However, the Cubs have been associated with a number of prominent names on the trade block in a ton of reports. Even if only a few of those rumors are true, something tells me the front office might not be lying about this matter.

In terms of the financial calculations, the Cubs are actually about where they started this season payroll-wise. They saved a decent amount of money by trading Barrett and Izturis (paying part of his contract), but that amount was made up by paying Rob Bowen and what was left of Jason Kendall's contract after Pittsburgh and Oakland covered all but about $800,000 of it.

Also, keep in mind that they only have to pay a small portion of someone's contract if they acquire a guy who's a FA after this season, since they only have the guy for a few months. It's not like they'd have to pay all $7m Jermaine Dye is owed if they acquired him, you know?

Matt700wlw
07-25-2007, 05:21 PM
Actually, Dunn would probably play RF in that scenario.

He has enough trouble playing left...do they really want to move him to an opposite position? :p:

M2
07-25-2007, 05:21 PM
It might be cosmic justice though if Dunn went to Chicago and thrived. The misery it would cause in many Reds fans would be exquisite.

Tom Servo
07-25-2007, 05:43 PM
Dunn in a Cubs uniform is about the most 'wrong' image I could ever imagine.

Reds1
07-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Dunn in a Cubs uniform is about the most 'wrong' image I could ever imagine.

I agree. That would be just too weird.

Caseyfan21
07-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Maybe we could get Prior and Wood both for him. :laugh:

BoydsOfSummer
07-25-2007, 06:17 PM
Maybe we could get Prior and Wood both for him. :laugh:

Wood made a rehab appearance and non e of his joint capsules exploded.

RBA
07-25-2007, 06:50 PM
Prediction: Dunn's offensive numbers go up.

Hey, he will be facing Reds relievers. That's a given.

cincyinco
07-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Can you imagine Dunn playing LF at Wrigley with all that wind? Lord help the cubs..

Wheelhouse
07-25-2007, 07:08 PM
It might be cosmic justice though if Dunn went to Chicago and thrived. The misery it would cause in many Reds fans would be exquisite.

Um, has he not thrived in Cincinnati?

M2
07-25-2007, 07:13 PM

I was thinking "thrived" in terms of him being a player on the lip of what are the prime years for most ballplayers. Take the 40 HR, 100 RBI, .900 OPS Dunn and kick him up a notch while he plays for the hated Cubs and you're likely to send a large chunk of Reds Nation into conniptions.

vaticanplum
07-25-2007, 07:57 PM

Yes, according to everyone but Cincinnatians ;)

If Dunn ended up on the Cubs, I would consider, fleetingly, ending my life.

MrCinatit
07-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Interesting.
Almost every time a trade is made, a player expresses surprise. "I never saw it coming..." yada yada yada.
Meanwhile, WK is one of the most secretive guys around - it seems he rarely lets a rumor slip.
Yet, this friend of a friend has the scoop. Let's see, where did my "skeptical" crayon go?

jojo
07-25-2007, 09:47 PM
all the elements of a good urban myth......

redsmetz
07-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Yes, according to everyone but Cincinnatians ;)

If Dunn ended up on the Cubs, I would consider, fleetingly, ending my life.

Okay, don't smack me, but all I could think of is Westley stopping Buttercup from killing herself in The Princess Bride. I won't quote it.