PDA

View Full Version : Linebrink To Brewers For 3 Pitchers

RedLegSuperStar
07-25-2007, 06:59 PM
Trent -

Brewers get RHP Scott Linebrink from the Padres for LHP Joe Thatcher, RHP Will Inman and LHP Steve Garrison

oneupper
07-25-2007, 07:00 PM
Padres are sellers?

cincyinco
07-25-2007, 07:01 PM
Impressive return for the Padres. Inman was a top prospect last year, Garrison has really come on as of late, and Tatcher looks to be able to replace some of the loss of Linebrink...

Kudos.

pedro
07-25-2007, 07:03 PM
Padres are sellers?

No, I just don't think they felt they needed him all that much and he's going to be a FA after this season IIRC.

flyer85
07-25-2007, 07:04 PM
Padres are sellers?Linebrink had lost his setup role to Bell. His K totals are way down this year.

Eric_Davis
07-25-2007, 07:04 PM
Padres are sellers?

Their shuffling around their setup men for Hoffman. They just made Heath Bell the 8th inning guy in an attempt to change things.

KoryMac5
07-25-2007, 07:10 PM
Good return for the Padres, Linebrink was definitely expendable with Bell stepping up. This may be the trade that gets some movement going.

Mario-Rijo
07-25-2007, 07:13 PM
Cubbies.......time to answer! How about a fully functional 41 yr old platoon 1st basemen/COF? Let's make a deal! ;)

flyer85
07-25-2007, 07:14 PM
not a surprising deal for Alderson, Towers, Depodesta. Especially since Linebrinks BPIs are way down this year.

M2
07-25-2007, 07:16 PM
Think of Linebrink as Turnbow insurance.

flyer85
07-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Think of Linebrink as Turnbow insurance.and the pen becomes even more important in the playoffs.

RedLegSuperStar
07-25-2007, 07:34 PM
If a guy like Linebrink who is having a down year can net 3 prospects.. what could Weathers bring back?

lollipopcurve
07-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Think of Linebrink as Turnbow insurance.

yes -- plus, the Balfour's poor performance (after ripping up the minors) probably increased the Brewers' urgency

Mario-Rijo
07-25-2007, 07:42 PM
If a guy like Linebrink who is having a down year can net 3 prospects.. what could Weathers bring back?

He isn't really having a down year persay to the untrained eye. He is just going downhill in his peripherals and that cavern he was playing in and his defense was masking it. But he is really no better than Weathers at this point, people just don't know it yet. As a matter of fact the only place he is better than Weathers is in reputation. Weathers has him bested in just about every category, problem is he is on his way down while Weathers is having a great season.

But I definitely believe that Weathers could bring a similiar haul assuming A.) we were willing to deal him (not likely) and B.) Someone needed him as badly as the Brewers needed Linebrink.

RedsManRick
07-25-2007, 07:43 PM
Great trade for the Padres. A book out of the A's playbook if I've ever seen one. Linebrink is on the verge of getting expensive and has virtually lost his ability to miss bats.

Mario-Rijo
07-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Great trade for the Padres. A book out of the A's playbook if I've ever seen one. Linebrink is on the verge of getting expensive and has virtually lost his ability to miss bats.

Question is will SD go ahead and use a Will Inman and perhaps these other arms to gain a big bat? They certainly have improved their position to do so.

flyer85
07-25-2007, 07:59 PM
If a guy like Linebrink who is having a down year can net 3 prospects.. what could Weathers bring back?nothing

Falls City Beer
07-25-2007, 08:06 PM
Probably a deal that helps both teams; but I'm pretty underwhelmed by all bodies moving between the teams.

dougdirt
07-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Will Inman is someone to keep an eye on. He had some troubles upon his AA promotion but seems to have adjusted himself very well recently there. Good deal by the Padres if they do indeed see themselves as sellers, or even if this is a move that in turn helps them make another move.

pedro
07-25-2007, 08:09 PM
nothing

:rolleyes:

M2
07-25-2007, 08:11 PM

It's deals like this which really showcase a GM's ability. The industry, with copious aid from a credulous media, has pushed the idea that no team should expect any sort of return for any player, that lesser teams should be happy just to unload part of the established player's contract. Isn't PayFlex wonderful?

Yet good GMs manage to craft deals that work for both sides. Towers and Melvin are good GMs. Melvin got his setup man and Towers got a legit prospect arm.

Hopefully the Wayne Krivsky guy who worked the Pena-Arroyo deals shows up in the next week.

flyer85
07-25-2007, 08:15 PM
:rolleyes:... WK isn't going to trade him.

pedro
07-25-2007, 08:18 PM
... WK isn't going to trade him.

That may very well be true but that doesn't mean he has no trade value.

flyer85
07-25-2007, 08:22 PM
That may very well be true but that doesn't mean he has no trade value.we have no idea what the real trade value is anyway. All we can ever do is judge a deal after the fact.

pedro
07-25-2007, 08:23 PM
we have no idea what the real trade value is anyway. All we can ever do is judge a deal after the fact.

and judge we do.

flyer85
07-25-2007, 08:27 PM
and judge we do.
that' our job :D

REDREAD
07-25-2007, 08:27 PM
I think Weathers could net a solid prospect or maybe two.

I'm a bit worried that Wayne is focused too much on the immediate return. He seems to favor guys that are close to ML level, like McBeth for example.
I know there's a lot of bleeding in the ML level, but for a guy like Weathers, I think I'd rather have a player or two which are 2-3 years away but with higher upside/risk.

Anyhow, this trading deadline is another serious test for Wayne. He's got a lot of options to move. In theory, he's not under financial pressure. Let's hope he gets it done.

Aronchis
07-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Not trading Weathers would be a testament to stupidity. He is a good candidate for a collapse next year and then will be valueless to the Reds.

Unless Cast is uttering orders not to trade Weathers, Krivsky has little excuse such as O'brien did.

Matt700wlw
07-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Not trading Weathers would be a testament to stupidity. He is a good candidate for a collapse next year and then will be valueless to the Reds.

Unless Cast is uttering orders not to trade Weathers, Krivsky has little excuse such as O'brien did.

My thoughts exactly. Weathers' value will NEVER be higher than it is right now.... not EVER. I don't think he will ever have another season like this, and I would rather another team have to worry about that.

It wasn't too long ago (last season) people (including me) wanted the Reds to get rid of him for being ineffective....they wouldn't have gotten much, if anything, back then.

M2
07-25-2007, 08:58 PM
I think Weathers could net a solid prospect or maybe two.

Well, we definitely know the going market for a pitcher of his caliber.

KronoRed
07-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Well, we definitely know the going market for a pitcher of his caliber.

Hope we don't hold out and end up with an empty ballon

Aronchis
07-25-2007, 09:01 PM
Hope we don't hold out and end up with an empty ballon

A Reds tradition;)

KronoRed
07-25-2007, 09:06 PM
A Reds tradition;)

We like baloons :thumbup:

NJReds
07-25-2007, 09:56 PM
That was a shrewd move by the Padres.

mbgrayson
07-25-2007, 10:25 PM
I love the TITLE of the Baseball Prospectus blog note on this trade:

"July 25, 2007, 06:15 PM ET
And the Krivsky Goes To… by Nate Silver

…Brewers General Manager Doug Melvin, who just made what might be the worst trade of the summer. Scott Linebrink has not had a good season for the Padres. His QuikERA (my preferred version of PERA) is 4.78, and that’s pitching against National League West hitters in Petco Park. Yeah, Linebrink been better than this in the past, but relief pitchers have short life spans, and the general rule is that declines in their peripheral performances are fairly sticky. I doubt that he’d PECOTA out at better than a 4.50 ERA in Miller Park if we re-ran his numbers today. Nor is it clear that he’s any better than the fourth or fifth best pitcher in the Brewer bullpen.

The first reaction on our internal mailing list was “What? The Padres are selling?”. But I tend to turn that sentiment around thusly: for Kevin Towers to break form and trade a near-term asset in the midst of a pennant race means that he simply got too much offer to refuse. Teams already err on the side of applying discount rates that are far too steep on future seasons, but everyone has their breaking point; if the Diamondbacks offered Justin Upton to the Yankees for Andy Pettitte, would they dare refuse? Now, Will Inman is not Justin Upton, and the Padres will give up draft picks in the deal. But frankly, if Towers turned around tomorrow and tried to trade Inman for a nine-week rental, he could probably come up with a player who is far more valuable than Linebrink."

Eric_Davis
07-25-2007, 10:30 PM

They've sucked since they traded for Barrett, though. There was a reason the Cubs didn't want Barrett around and they've gotten better once they got rid of him.

Falls City Beer
07-25-2007, 11:07 PM
More proof maybe that you can contend and rebuild. Simultaneously.

MartyFan
07-26-2007, 02:28 AM
More proof maybe that you can contend and rebuild. Simultaneously.

Are you talking about the Brewers or the Padres?

The Brewers have been a rebuilding team for nearly a decade...The Pads can rebuild because they did the original rebuilding back in the late 90's...and they have talent at the ML level that can gain them some minor league talent.

I know we all want it now but The Reds have been a very bad franchise for a very long time and you don't just change that in a season or two...which is all this current ownership and GM have had.

I hate it but we've got another year or two before our team is anything to talk about no matter who the GM is.

Eric_Davis
07-26-2007, 02:38 AM
That's so true, MartyFan. The REDS' franchise was probably the worst of all baseball franchises when Bowden left. O'Brien improved the minor leagues in his short tenure, as Baseball Prospectus or Baseball America, can't remember which, rated their minor league system as 16th among all franchises going into this year. They also just a bit ago ranked the REDS as having the 4th best draft this year. I know. How can you measure that after 6 weeks? One of their criteria was getting your players signed, and the REDS did great in that department. Anyway, it's better than having them ranked 27th.

We're getting better, but it's a slow process.

Ltlabner
07-26-2007, 08:30 AM
They also just a bit ago ranked the REDS as having the 4th best draft this year. I know. How can you measure that after 6 weeks?

Hey, if you can evaluate and condem a trade for the rest of eternety 1.4 seconds after it's made, 6 week's to judge a draft is a walk in the park. :p:

puca
07-26-2007, 09:42 AM
I don't know anything about the prospects the Padres got, but I do agree that the shelf life of a middle reliever is rather short, and Linebrink is showing signs that his expiration date is past. But, on the otherhand, the Brewers felt they needed another bullpen arm for the rest of the season and seized the opportunity without giving up anyone from their major league roster. Hard to criticize this move from either perspective.

camisadelgolf
07-26-2007, 10:31 AM
The Padres farm system is in bad shape. When they got that offer, I think they took it without thinking twice about it.

cincrazy
07-26-2007, 12:41 PM
I'd be hesitant to trade for any middle reliever. Teams just don't give up good bullpen arms, and if they do give them up, it's an indicator that something is wrong (Majewski last year, Linebrink this year). I don't like the Linebrink move for the Brewers. I admire the fact that they're not standing pat and that they're trying to get into the playoffs, but I think they got a pitcher that is clearly on the decline.

fearofpopvol1
07-26-2007, 12:48 PM
The trade can be criticized for sure and who knows how it will play out. It looks on the surface to be a good deal for the Pads. However, what it really shows me more than anything is that Milwaukee is serious about wanting to win and so they went out and got a good player that will help their team.

blumj
07-26-2007, 12:57 PM
I'd be hesitant to trade for any middle reliever. Teams just don't give up good bullpen arms, and if they do give them up, it's an indicator that something is wrong (Majewski last year, Linebrink this year).
Although I agree on the larger point about Linebrink, the Pads pen is really stacked, to the point where they probably could have afforded to deal almost any reliever without losing much.

ramp101
07-26-2007, 08:19 PM
I like this deal for both sides