PDA

View Full Version : Bring me the head of Brian Bixler

M2
07-25-2007, 08:56 PM
... preferrably attached to the rest of his body.

With the recent acquisition of Cesar Izturis, the Pirates are overflowing with veteran shortstops. Meanwhile Brian Bixler continues to play an attractive brand of baseball in AAA. Here's his profile:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Brian%20Bixler&pos=&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=444448

He's a dirt player, the kind of guy who gets more out of his tools than you thought he had. We have a lot of fun with the term "scrappy" around here, but he's a guy whom I think does the term justice. He'd make a great reserve player and I could easily see him playing well enough to convince the team to move Gonzalez.

KronoRed
07-25-2007, 09:01 PM
24 years old, I'd say why not?

oneupper
07-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Brandon Phillips REDUX?

pedro
07-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Good name.

Red Heeler
07-25-2007, 11:56 PM
Nice find! He isn't worth giving up any of the crown jewels, but he would make a nice "Oh by the way" pick up. If the Reds could trade Freel for the equivalent of what it would take to pick up Bixler, then that would be a "win" for Krivsky. Increasing PayFlex while holding talent steady is not sexy, but it is highly important for a team like the Reds.

Barbarossa
07-26-2007, 12:01 AM
Nine triples! Sounds like he would be an exciting player at GAB. Is he a leadoff hitter? We could trade Freel and Farney for him.:beerme:

Big Klu
07-26-2007, 12:13 AM
... preferrably attached to the rest of his body.

With the recent acquisition of Cesar Izturis, the Pirates are overflowing with veteran shortstops. Meanwhile Brian Bixler continues to play an attractive brand of baseball in AAA. Here's his profile:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Brian%20Bixler&pos=&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=444448

He's a dirt player, the kind of guy who gets more out of his tools than you thought he had. We have a lot of fun with the term "scrappy" around here, but he's a guy whom I think does the term justice. He'd make a great reserve player and I could easily see him playing well enough to convince the team to move Gonzalez.

When did the Pirates pick up Izturis? (I must have missed that one.)

Chip R
07-26-2007, 12:22 AM
Bobby Crosby broke his hand so I wonder if Beane will go after this guy.

LincolnparkRed
07-26-2007, 12:24 AM
When did the Pirates pick up Izturis? (I must have missed that one.)

late last week for a PTBNL

Spitball
07-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Due to limited range and limited arm strength, Brian Bixler is generally viewed to have second base/utility infielder abilities. I know we are talking about the Pirates here, but why would they have acquired Cesar Izturis if they had an inexpensive twenty-four year old waiting to take over for Jack Wilson?

traderumor
07-26-2007, 10:24 PM
David Eckstein part deux--we could do worse

IslandRed
07-26-2007, 10:31 PM
Due to limited range and limited arm strength, Brian Bixler is generally viewed to have second base/utility infielder abilities. I know we are talking about the Pirates here, but why would they have acquired Cesar Izturis if they had an inexpensive twenty-four year old waiting to take over for Jack Wilson?

If the Pirates were more apt to make sensible baseball decisions, they wouldn't be working on 15 straight years of losing.

Having said that, I've seen the same reports on Bixler. But if the source is a Pirates scout and the Pirates can't scout, then who knows?