PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Machado or Mark Bellhorn....

Eric_Davis
07-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Machado...batting .043 his last 8 games.

Bellhorn.....batting .095 his last 8 games.

Someone needs to play SS for a while until Gonzo is back.

Maybe Phillips stays there and Aaron Herr is brought up

Herr....batting .171 his last 9 games.

Or, just leave Keppinger at SS and bring up Dewayne Wise. Leave Freel on the bench as a sub to help out where needed.

HumnHilghtFreel
07-25-2007, 10:40 PM
Or, just leave Keppinger at SS and bring up Dewayne Wise. Leave Freel on the bench as a sub to help out where needed.

This is my favorite of the mentioned options. Keppinger continues to get AB's without them being at the expense of Edwin. Although Freel would likely then be slotted in at 3B every other game:evil:

flyer85
07-25-2007, 10:51 PM
Put Keppinger there, bring Janish up to caddy.

RedLegSuperStar
07-25-2007, 10:57 PM
Gonzo is back friday.. leave Keppinger at SS.. Freel as the super sub

I think both Lopez and Ross are going to be day-to-day.. so maybe a move happens before the game.. who knows..

mbgrayson
07-25-2007, 10:58 PM
I still say it will be Alex Gonzalez. He is back in town, but a little rusty. They can let Kepp start again, and have AlGon as a backup until he is fully ready.

Per John Fay:
"Gonzalez, Hamilton updates
Alex Gonzalez was at Great American Ball Park Tuesday. He threw some and hit. Pete Mackanin thinks he may return Friday."

johngalt
07-25-2007, 11:06 PM
Put Keppinger there, bring Janish up to caddy.

I don't like the idea of bringing Janish up and wasting an option year this season. He may not even be in a position to be up here next year actually, so I'd rather hold off and go with Keppinger starting and Phillips as the emergency backup.

VR
07-25-2007, 11:24 PM

You should be ashamed for listing DEEEEwayne Wise as an option

Big Klu
07-25-2007, 11:27 PM

You should be ashamed for listing DEEEEwayne Wise as an option

According to Louisville's webpage, Dewayne Wise is on the DL.

Big Klu
07-25-2007, 11:31 PM
I still say it will be Alex Gonzalez. He is back in town, but a little rusty. They can let Kepp start again, and have AlGon as a backup until he is fully ready.

Per John Fay:
"Gonzalez, Hamilton updates
Alex Gonzalez was at Great American Ball Park Tuesday. He threw some and hit. Pete Mackanin thinks he may return Friday."

I didn't know this. Gonzalez would be the logical choice to replace Lopez (who I assume will go on the DL). I agree with your idea to start Keppinger at SS, and let Gonzalez slowly work his way back into the lineup. Gonzo could serve as the defensive backup right away, though.

Chip R
07-25-2007, 11:34 PM
If Gonzo can go on Friday, they may just not make a move at all until Friday. If he's not, they can just make a move then.

Big Klu
07-25-2007, 11:43 PM
If Gonzo can go on Friday, they may just not make a move at all until Friday. If he's not, they can just make a move then.

But if they wait to make a move regarding Gonzalez and Lopez, and Ross is unavailable with his finger injury (which I think is likely), then the Reds are going to be short-handed tomorrow.

mbgrayson
07-26-2007, 12:02 AM
Per C.Trent:
"POSTGAME: Pedro Lopez was going to the hospital and Dr. Kremcheck was headed there right after the game. They think he may have broken a bone in his cheek area. There was a lot of blood, but nobody saw teeth.

Also talked to David Ross, he said he'll take Thursday off and hopes to be back to catch Bronson Arroyo on Friday. It was a dislocation at the bottom knuckle in his right pinkie, which is the least important finger in baseball. You shouldn't have too much of your pinkie on the bat and you don't use it for throwing. And it's good that it's on his right hand, because the pain would be more if it were on his catching hand."

Eric_Davis
07-26-2007, 01:30 AM
If anyone gets another update on Lopez, please let us know. That was horrible.

Eric_Davis
07-26-2007, 01:57 AM
Don't forget that Junior's been tired ever since coming back from the All-Star break, which is doggedly tiring for someone like him where everyone wants his attention.

Junior needs 2 days off a week for probably the rest of the season, and tomorrow would be great for him to take off, leaving him Ross, and Lopez unavailable. Lopez will probably go on the DL, unless John Allen decides to make a "financial decision" with him and sends him down to AAA first and then the DL, so that he gets paid minor league money instead of Major League money.

Tomorrow should be interesting with most of the bullpen being used today, and lately when they do pitch, it's bad anyway. Maybe Bray should be brought up.

Big Klu
07-26-2007, 02:05 AM
Don't forget that Junior's been tired ever since coming back from the All-Star break, which is doggedly tiring for someone like him where everyone wants his attention.

Junior needs 2 days off a week for probably the rest of the season, and tomorrow would be great for him to take off, leaving him Ross, and Lopez unavailable. Lopez will probably go on the DL, unless John Allen decides to make a "financial decision" with him and sends him down to AAA first and then the DL, so that he gets paid minor league money instead of Major League money.

Tomorrow should be interesting with most of the bullpen being used today, and lately when they do pitch, it's bad anyway. Maybe Bray should be brought up.

I agree with you about Griffey needing a day off. Though I know the batting order will never be like this, my lineup for tomorrow would be:

Hatteberg 1b
Keppinger ss
Dunn lf
Phillips 2b
Encarnacion 3b
Valentin c
Freel cf
Hopper rf
Livingston p

More likely, I can see a batting order of:

Hatteberg 1b
Freel cf
Dunn lf
Phillips 2b
Encarnacion 3b
Keppinger ss
Valentin c
Hopper rf
Livingston p

I could also see this (though I hope I don't):

Freel cf
Hopper rf
Hatteberg 1b
Phillips 2b
Dunn lf
Keppinger ss
Encarnacion 3b
Valentin c
Livingston p

redsmetz
07-26-2007, 04:55 AM

It's simple to bang on John Allen, but a team could never do this - they have a grievance on their hands in a minute - and they'd lose.

Chip R
07-26-2007, 09:12 AM
But if they wait to make a move regarding Gonzalez and Lopez, and Ross is unavailable with his finger injury (which I think is likely), then the Reds are going to be short-handed tomorrow.

And you point is? ;)

I would think it depends on if Ross can swing a bat (Yes, I know that's a loaded question). If he can, they can just catch Javy or Moeller today and use Ross for a PH. If Gonzo is going to be available tomorrow, why even bring someone up? Lohse is a better hitter than Machado and probably a better fielder than Bellhorn. Yeah, you'd have to play short one guy for a day but how often do you need that last guy on the bench. They hardly ever use the 3rd catcher so they are used to playing short. If it's for one day, I don't see a problem. If Gonzo can't play on Friday, though, then you make a move.