PDA

View Full Version : Well the sky didnt fall

icehole3
07-26-2007, 07:56 AM
They finally finally put Brandon Phillips at SS...man. The rotation of the earth continued on its regular path. I know he's an all world 2nd baseman...yada yada yada. He should be at SS and if you can move Freel to second trade Dunn and platoon Votto and Hooper for the rest of the season Im a happy camper.

:p:

nate
07-26-2007, 09:06 AM
They finally finally put Brandon Phillips at SS...man. The rotation of the earth continued on its regular path. I know he's an all world 2nd baseman...yada yada yada. He should be at SS and if you can move Freel to second trade Dunn and platoon Votto and Hooper for the rest of the season Im a happy camper.

What about Gonzo?

puca
07-26-2007, 09:35 AM

No one disputes that Brandon can play SS, only whether he would be above average defensively there. My feeling is he would not, and I think that feeling is shared by the front office. Maybe if the next GM/Manager combination doesn't value defense as highly it could happen. It won't under this regime. There was a golden opportunity last season to give Phillips an extended look at short, the experiment was quickly abandoned.

My advice, quit dreaming the impossible dream.

PuffyPig
07-26-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm note sure I would base anyone's fielding abilty based on one slowly hit ground ball.

Should we make Conine a regular thirdbaseman?

bucksfan2
07-26-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm note sure I would base anyone's fielding abilty based on one slowly hit ground ball.

Should we make Conine a regular thirdbaseman?

And what good would that do this club both now and in the future. Conine doesn't have the ability to play 3b anymore. He can play there if needed but Edwin needs to play there every day.

puca
07-26-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm pretty sure PuffyPigs suggestion was rhetorical.

Just because BP didn't fall on his face when playing SS for a few innings doesn't mean it would be a good idea to regularly play him there.

icehole3
07-26-2007, 01:11 PM
What about Gonzo?

What about him?

:confused:

nate
07-26-2007, 01:20 PM
What about him?

:confused:

Where does he play when he comes back?

icehole3
07-26-2007, 05:05 PM
SS

Chip R
07-26-2007, 05:19 PM
SS

Gonna be kinda rough with both Phillips and Gonzo playing SS.

07-26-2007, 05:41 PM

Maybe that is Pete's idea of an infield shift.

icehole3
07-26-2007, 05:43 PM
my point with that is he should be allowed to spell Gonzo when Gonzo gets back and needs a day...Narron and a lot of folks here believe he shouldnt be anywhere near SS because he's a 2nd baseman.

Big Klu
07-26-2007, 10:36 PM
my point with that is he should be allowed to spell Gonzo when Gonzo gets back and needs a day...Narron and a lot of folks here believe he shouldnt be anywhere near SS because he's a 2nd baseman.

You make a valid point. Ron Oester used to slide over to SS when Dave Concepcion would get a day off in the early 80's, and Mariano Duncan was both the starting 2B AND Barry Larkin's backup at SS on the World Champion team in 1990.

KronoRed
07-26-2007, 11:33 PM

2 SS's and no LF

Do it.

IslandRed
07-26-2007, 11:59 PM

Conversely, my belief is that he's the regular second baseman and that means he should be playing second base if he's playing. Let the fill-ins do the filling in unless there's an emergency like there was the other night. That's what they're for.

blumj
07-27-2007, 12:27 AM
If you don't absolutely have to carry a backup IF on the 25 man roster who can play SS, you might be able to keep a better hitter around instead. It won't always work that way, but sometimes it can.

icehole3
07-27-2007, 07:34 AM
If you use Phillips who is very young and Im pretty sure this kid can handle it, you can keep a guy on your bench who can hit rather than carrying a judy hitter like Castro, thats all Im saying

Spitball
07-27-2007, 09:31 AM
If you use Phillips who is very young and Im pretty sure this kid can handle it, you can keep a guy on your bench who can hit rather than carrying a judy hitter like Castro, thats all Im saying

I see your logic, but sometimes your team needs defense on the field. I personally do not want to see Freel at second and Phillips at shortstop with a 5-4 lead in the bottom of the nineth.

Spitball
07-27-2007, 09:54 AM
In 2003 when Omar Vizquel was injured for much of the season, Brandon Phillips was on the 25 man roster yet didn't get an inning at shortstop. The Indians trusted John McDonald, Ricky Gutierrez, Zack Sorensen,and minor leaguer Jhonny Peralta but not Phillips.

Some players are just not shortstops. Roberto Alomar was a great second baseman but couldn't handle shortstop.