PDA

View Full Version : Lopez to DL, Castro back

Danny Serafini
07-26-2007, 10:14 AM
That's right, the very same Juan Castro who just said his elbow still hurts and might need surgery was activated today. I would guess he's there for emergency purposes only right now, but then again who really knows.

redsfan30
07-26-2007, 10:17 AM
I'd imagine Castro will only be here for today and be put back on the DL tomorrow when Alex Gonzalez is activated from the restricted list (or whenever he's ready to go).

oneupper
07-26-2007, 10:19 AM
That actually makes more sense that disrupting stuff in the minors.

RedLegSuperStar
07-26-2007, 10:24 AM
I'd imagine Castro will only be here for today and be put back on the DL tomorrow when Alex Gonzalez is activated from the restricted list (or whenever he's ready to go).

Is that possible? If so... why even make a move if Castro is still hurt and Gonzalez is slated to come back tomorrow?

Tom Servo
07-26-2007, 10:26 AM
awwww crap

mbgrayson
07-26-2007, 10:27 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOO!

redsfan30
07-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Is that possible? If so... why even make a move if Castro is still hurt and Gonzalez is slated to come back tomorrow?

Castro I'm sure will only be used as an emergency situation only. He could pinch run if need be.

I'd rather do this than play with with an under-manned roster like in the O'Brien days.

MrCinatit
07-26-2007, 10:45 AM

I hope that is the case. Otherwise, I walk to Cincy myself and break Castro's arm. :evil:

cumberlandreds
07-26-2007, 11:03 AM
That just shows you that the minors are barren of utility infielders that could help.

registerthis
07-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Yeesh, he's bad enough with two functioning elbows.

Big Klu
07-26-2007, 12:12 PM
That actually makes more sense that disrupting stuff in the minors.

That just shows you that the minors are barren of utility infielders that could help.

I perused the Louisville and Chattanooga rosters last night, and they each have only four infielders to cover 2B, SS, and 3B--which means they each have only one backup. (Louisville actually has two, but one of them--Jeff Bannon--is one of only three outfielders on the club.) So there isn't much depth at the minor-league level. If it were a long-term situation, I'm sure we would see Bellhorn, Machado, Herr, Janish, or Cruz brought up. But since Gonzalez is hopefully due back tomorrow, the Reds only have to cover today. I wouldn't be surprised if Castro goes right back on the DL after today's game. He has probably been activated to serve as a PH/PR and emergency 2B only.

redsmetz
07-26-2007, 12:16 PM
I suspect that most are right that this makes Castro a body, particularly if a pinch runner is needed. I'm guessing this means Gonzalez might be close. We'll see. We're showing some serious scrappiness now.

Hap
07-26-2007, 01:00 PM
I would rather bring Rick Reuschel or Mickey Lolich or Mike Lavalliere out of retirement and have them pinch-run instead of Castro.

Razor Shines
07-26-2007, 01:00 PM

Well then hopefully he can get at least one start in before going back to the DL. We need his bat.

nate
07-26-2007, 01:03 PM
I would rather bring Rick Reuschel or Mickey Lolich or Mike Lavalliere out of retirement and have them pinch-run instead of Castro.

Big ups for rekindling the memory of "Spanky". :thumbup:

BuckeyeRedleg
07-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Where's Brendan Harris when you need him?

Oh, wait, that's right, Wayne gave him away.

Solid.

CTA513
07-26-2007, 01:30 PM
I hope hes the first pinch hitter used off the bench.

Eric_Davis
07-26-2007, 01:37 PM

God, I hope so.

Just go away Juan, and never come back.

Eric_Davis
07-26-2007, 01:44 PM
Also, how are they going to get anybody from the minors in uniform in time for the game. Juan was already here. It seemed like their only option.

Roy Tucker
07-26-2007, 01:47 PM
As much as I think Castro stinks as a player, he is "taking one for the team" here and I give him kudos for that.

As long as its 1 or 2 games and he's used as backup, I'm OK with it.

Chip R
07-26-2007, 01:49 PM
As long as its 1 or 2 games and he's used as backup, I'm OK with it.

But as Puffy, et. al. have said, the problem with having Castro on the roster is that they actually use him.

RedsManRick
07-26-2007, 02:03 PM
According to Will Carroll UTK article today,

Juan Castro will need Tommy John surgery, ending the season for the Reds' utility infielder....

KronoRed
07-26-2007, 10:32 PM
He'll be back taking at bats here next year, he should just retire and be a coach