PDA

View Full Version : Disney bans smoking in future family films

Michael Allred
07-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Here's what I came across today on Yahoo:

"The Walt Disney Co. will eliminate smoking from all its films released under its label and will discourage smoking in films released under its Touchstone and Miramax brands, the company said Wednesday.

Disney chief executive Robert Iger made the pledge in a letter to U.S. Rep. Edward J. Markey, D-Mass, chairman of the House Telecommunications and the Internet Subcommittee, who last month held a hearing in Washington, D.C., on the topic.

"The Walt Disney Co. shares your concern regarding deaths due to cigarette smoking," Iger wrote.

Iger also said that a public service announcement will be included on any DVD of a film that includes smoking and that the company would encourage theater owners to show an anti-smoking message before screening films that depict characters lighting up.

Universal Pictures said it instituted a policy to reduce smoking in youth-oriented films in April, but did not announce it publicly until Wednesday.

The studio said it will include a health warning along with films that include smoking.

"We believe it's possible to do that while respecting filmmakers' creative choices and we are committed to partnering with them in this effort," Universal Studios chairman Ron Meyer said Wednesday.

In May, the Motion Picture Association of America said it would begin considering smoking as a factor in rating films.

Markey praised Disney's decision.

"Now it's time for other media companies to similarly kick the habit and follow Disney's lead," Markey said."

and so the censorship begins, proudly with a press release.

Now one could argue that some things, like smoking, drinking, etc should not be in kids movies (though uh, I don't recall any such public announcement for banning alcohol in Disney flicks) but note how they said they'll "discourage" smoking in the films made by their sister companies? You know, *adult* movies? Well, not ADULT movies, hehe, but films for older, mature audiences. It's bad enough that the *******s at the MPAA want to consider smoking when handing out R ratings or that when you see smoking on screen it's usually being done by the villain but now we're seeing studios wipe it out completely? Hell, just go all the way with it Disney and digitally erase smoking/cigarettes from ALL of your older films. White wash the whole thing. If you're gonna go for it, go for it.

In the mean time we still have alcohol on screen in teen comedies, it's fun, funny and cool and nobody says a damn thing.

Let's hear it for over-reaction.

HIP HIP HOORAY!

texasdave
07-26-2007, 02:14 PM
Puff the Magic Dragon would never be written today.

Blimpie
07-26-2007, 05:34 PM
I see that there still is no formal policy about preventing pedophiles from directing their family movies.

Ltlabner
07-26-2007, 06:05 PM
I see that there still is no formal policy about preventing pedophiles from directing their family movies.

:confused:

Blimpie
07-27-2007, 09:43 AM
:confused:Perhaps I should have elaborated, but I thought most people already knew the story of Victor Salva

http://www.vachss.com/mission/disney.html