PDA

View Full Version : Softball HR Derby tomorrow night...

Buckeye33
07-26-2007, 12:04 PM
Anyone know what time this thing starts? I tried the Reds but everyone seems to be out of the office because of the 12:30 game today.

I would assume that they start it around 6pm. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks

redsfan30
07-26-2007, 01:09 PM
I would assume at 6:30 but I'm not totally sure. I saw one of these shows a couple years ago and would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who has not seen one yet.

You will come away shocked and amazed.

Ltlabner
07-26-2007, 05:45 PM
My father and I saw this thing last year. We rolled our eyes and poo-pooed it. Boy were we wrong. It was amazing to see these big softball brusers crushing balls out of the ballpark. IIRC they had a number of uper-deck blasts which is just frickin amazing considering the big mushball they are hitting and the low relative velocity of the incomming pitch.

Of course the dudes hitting them were so big it only begged a question regarding what sort of special sugar they put on their wheeties in the morning to get that big.

But all in all, well worth the time to check it out.

Hoosier Red
07-26-2007, 06:09 PM
:devil:
Anyone know what time this thing starts? I tried the Reds but everyone seems to be out of the office because of the 12:30 game today.

I would assume that they start it around 6pm. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks

6:00 seems a little early. Dunn probably won't come up until 7:25 or so at the earliest.
:devil:

jojo
07-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Anybody can crush a ball with a composite.... lets see them do it with a Louisville slugger..... :cool:

KittyDuran
07-26-2007, 08:35 PM
This is from the Longhaul Bombers website...

http://www.buysoftball360.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=14

2007 WSL Stadium Power Tour Schedule
The Bombers always start hitting about 35 minutes before the first pitch and the event is 15 minutes long. All you need is a ticket to the game to see them.

jmcclain19
07-26-2007, 08:54 PM
Anybody can crush a ball with a composite.... lets see them do it with a Louisville slugger..... :cool:

that's balanced out by the monster size of a softball compared to a baseball.

Granted - the LHB guys are probably using the highest compression balls made - but still - it's no easy feat mind you.

Buckeye33
07-26-2007, 11:38 PM
This is from the Longhaul Bombers website...

http://www.buysoftball360.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=14

Thanks Kitty. I didn't realize it would only take them 15 minutes to get through the whole thing. I think 4 guys swing with it be 2 vs 2. Each team is sponsored by a different manufactorer (Easton, DeMarini, etc)

jojo
07-27-2007, 08:00 AM
that's balanced out by the monster size of a softball compared to a baseball.

Granted - the LHB guys are probably using the highest compression balls made - but still - it's no easy feat mind you.

I'm a big guy so maybe I'm biased but in this day and age, hitting a softball 350 ft with anything other than a wooden bat just doesn't impress me. That said, the LHB guys will put on a show.

Real men play in wooden bat leagues (obvious fighting words meant to challenge everybody's manhood).... :beerme:

dabvu2498
07-27-2007, 09:43 AM
I'm a big guy so maybe I'm biased but in this day and age, hitting a softball 350 ft with anything other than a wooden bat just doesn't impress me. That said, the LHB guys will put on a show.

Real men play in wooden bat leagues (obvious fighting words meant to challenge everybody's manhood).... :beerme:

Saw these guys 2 years ago at GABP and the thing is, they're not just hitting em 350. There will be many 400+ down there tonight. There were some a couple years ago that made the sections of the bleachers above the tunnels.

Pretty impressive even with composite and high compression balls.

redsfan30
07-27-2007, 11:00 AM

As dabvu said, there will be no wall scrapers. When I went in 2005 they were hitting balls to the upper rows of the Moon Deck in right and a couple balls even went over the deck. In left field, there were a few balls that I thought had a chance to hit the scoreboard.

I was the same way you are before I went and saw it in person....I poo-pooed it. After I saw it, I was a believer.