PDA

View Full Version : Encarnacion's power

Blitz Dorsey
07-26-2007, 09:22 PM
I think a sentiment among many Reds fans -- myself included -- has been that Edwin Encarnacion would eventually develop into a decent power hitter. He shoots line drives and has room to get bigger and it would seem natural that he would eventually be a 25-30 HR guy.

But I just don't see it anymore. EE is a good hitter at times, especially when he's confident -- but he simply does not generate much power. Several times this year he will appear to hit a ball relatively well and it's a routine pop-up. Even when he really gets a great swing on it, he just doesn't have much power. Yeah, he can rip the ball and will end up with a few home runs (usually balls that are about one or two rows deep), but I think my initial thought was wrong. Encarnacion will never be a 25-30 HR guy. Maybe he could have one "fortunate" year like the season Casey hit 25 jacks ('99) but Edwin will always be a line-drive hitter and nothing more in by book. And that's fine. IF... you are great defensively, get on base a lot and knock in a lot of runs. I think EE is a good run producer, but overall, I just don't think he's the 3B of the future. I sure hope I'm wrong. But we've just been cursed at that position for years. Really since Sabo. (I was never a huge Aaron Boone fan; liked him, but not crazy about him)... Willie Greene was OK for a while, then fell off the face of the earth. Brandon Larson was obviously a disaster.

Actually we had that one good year with Tony Fernandez at 3B, but as far as a long-term 3B, it's been a mess. And I don't think EE is the man to turn it around.

Crash Davis
07-26-2007, 11:04 PM
He still has power. He's just pulling off on every swing. He's too pull conscious like David Ross was early in the season. He's swinging through sliders off the outside corner, and he's either taking fastballs on the outside corner or weakly grounding them to the infield. Last year he was rocketing that outside corner fastball into the right-center field gap.

What is it with Reds' 3B who want to pull everything? Aaron Boone was the same way. Both Boone and Encarnacion are hitting well when they're hitting the ball in the gaps the other way.

If EdE doesn't fix his swing and approach, I'm going to start to worry about the future at 3B.

KronoRed
07-26-2007, 11:33 PM
The Reds have been pretty bleak at 3rd base since forever ;)

I wonder if the hitting coach is working with EE?

Ron Madden
07-27-2007, 03:51 AM
The Reds have been pretty bleak at 3rd base since forever ;)

I wonder if the hitting coach is working with EE?

I wonder if the hitting coach is the root of EE's problem?

Jerry Narron replaced Chambliss with Jacoby in an effort reduce K's and have the team make more contact.

A move that still boggles my mind.

:bang:

RANDY IN INDY
07-27-2007, 09:04 AM

Only if the hitting coach is telling EE to do what Crash suggested in his earlier post.

nate
07-27-2007, 10:26 AM

Jerry Narron replaced Chambliss with Jacoby in an effort reduce K's and have the team make more contact.

A move that still boggles my mind.

:bang:

Actually, this year's Reds are on pace for 1173 team Ks.

Last year: 1192

Baby steps!

Blitz Dorsey
07-27-2007, 11:44 AM
I don't think Jacoby is the problem at all. Dunn is on pace for a career year (but he is always high-risk to tail off greatly at the end of the season), Phillips is having an amazing year, Griffey is having his best year since his first year with the Reds in 2000, maybe better. Hamilton adjusted well to Major League pitching and was on pace for a great year until his injuries. Obviously, the hitters deserve most of the credit. But if anything, I think Jacoby is helping not hurting. There isn't a hitting coach on this planet that could get these Reds to greatly cut down on strikeouts.

Most of young guys also hit well, guys like Hopper, Keppinger, Lopez (before getting beaned in the face) all hit as well or better with the Reds than they did with Louisville.

Of course, then you have the David Ross situation. Our old little league coaches could tell him right off the bat that he's pulling his head off the ball. And yes, Ross would try and pull a pitch even if it was 10 inches outside.

TOBTTReds
07-27-2007, 11:53 AM

Baby steps!

And last year's team had Lopez and Kearns, two strikeout guys.

KronoRed
07-27-2007, 12:08 PM

Baby steps!

What about runs scored? :devil:

RedsManRick
07-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Clearly we're not striking out enough.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/images/2617_02.gif

nate
07-27-2007, 12:27 PM
What about runs scored? :devil:

This year, we've scored 483 which is on pace for 760.

Last year: 749.

Matt700wlw
07-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Eddie's off the 'roids :evil:

Blitz Dorsey
07-27-2007, 10:49 PM
I knew he would jack a HR the day after I posted this. Haha. I love it! Prove me wrong Eddie!

HotCorner
07-27-2007, 10:51 PM
I knew he would jack a HR the day after I posted this. Haha. I love it! Prove me wrong Eddie!

Did he ever! Wow. :eek:

KronoRed
07-27-2007, 10:55 PM

Post it again and again :thumbup:

SteelSD
07-28-2007, 02:11 AM
It's his Home Run per Fly Ball rate. MLB average is around 11%. Encarnacion's rate prior to tonight's game was 5.7%. Last year it was 11.7%. His HR/FB rate loss this season has depressed his Batting Average and IsoP while his IsoD has remained the same (2006- 0.83, 2007- 0.80).

Encarnacion is "failing well" this season, but he's been treated as if he's just been failing. The game is pretty random- especially for young mid-range power hitters like Encarnacion. He projects to come around at the plate. He might not do it quickly enough for many fans who are impatient with young hitters, but that's the way he projects.

Superdude
07-28-2007, 11:27 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a ball come off the bat like EdE's homer last night. I'm suprised it didn't just explode the way he swung at it.

lollipopcurve
07-28-2007, 11:58 AM
It seems to me that EdE's swing is out of whack. He's having a hard time keeping the ball fair, and he's getting too much topspin (coming over the ball strong with his top hand), which hurts his ability to drive it for distance. It seems he's lost the ability to power the ball to center or right-center. It was there last year, so you know it's in him. But I think he needs a real adjustment -- whether Jacoby can help him, I have no idea, but it's been going on for a while.

redsmetz
07-28-2007, 01:09 PM
It seems to me that EdE's swing is out of whack. He's having a hard time keeping the ball fair, and he's getting too much topspin (coming over the ball strong with his top hand), which hurts his ability to drive it for distance. It seems he's lost the ability to power the ball to center or right-center. It was there last year, so you know it's in him. But I think he needs a real adjustment -- whether Jacoby can help him, I have no idea, but it's been going on for a while.

I know watching the replay of last night's homer, I was surprised that it wasn't foul. It must have curved around the pole because where it landed was in foul territory.