PDA

View Full Version : Saarlos to Louisville, Santos Called Up

eastkyred
07-27-2007, 03:35 PM
Santos....Unbelievable

Muggerd
07-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Ok im all about fire wayne now. Guy can not make a move that doesnt make everyone in Cincinnati upset

Redskinalum02
07-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Santos? Ugh. :bang::bang::bang:

How about bringing up Dumatrait or Cueto & moving Belisle to the bullpen? How about bringing up Bray, Majewski or a pitching machine...anyone but Santos?

eastkyred
07-27-2007, 04:06 PM
trade trash for trash. I'm actually stunned that it wasn't Bray.

DeadRedinCT
07-27-2007, 04:08 PM
What exactly did Brad Salmon do to piss off Wayne?

AtomicDumpling
07-27-2007, 04:08 PM
I would rather have Santos than Saarloos, but surely the Reds have other options here. Bray has not pitched well in the minors this year and hasn't pitched well in the majors in the past. Majeswki has shown he is not the answer. I say try Dumatrait. Bring him up and have him start games. Put Belisle in the bullpen.

Muggerd
07-27-2007, 04:10 PM
I would rather have Santos than Saarloos

I dont think anyone would disagree with that statement :obrien:

eastkyred
07-27-2007, 04:22 PM
Bray has not pitched well in the minors this year .

Have you seen Bray pitch in the minors this year? I know he has an era of 4.97 in LOU, but that is because of 2 bad outings. He also has 21 K's in 12.2 IP's. This is also like spring training for him, he hasn't pitched in a couple of months. Give the guy a break. Bray is alot better option than Santos or Saarloos.

durl
07-27-2007, 04:31 PM
I'm not too familiar with Dumatrait. His numbers look kinda interesting and he was an INT Mid-Season All Star.

I'm wondering if these stats worry the front office:

ERA bases empty: .060
ERA runners on: 6.44
ERA RISP: 10.74
(*Feel free to correct me if I'm reading his stats incorrectly.)

Santos' numbers in AAA are kinda odd. His ERA is much worse when he's ahead in the count or bases empty. His ERA with runners on is 1.17 and with RISP, it's 1.80.

Now if that would just translate over to the big leagues, he'd be a welcome addition to the bullpen. I realize that just hasn't been the case this year. But who knows...maybe he'll accomplish something this time.

Have you seen Bray pitch in the minors this year? I know he has an era of 4.97 in LOU, but that is because of 2 bad outings. He also has 21 K's in 12.2 IP's. This is also like spring training for him, he hasn't pitched in a couple of months. Give the guy a break. Bray is alot better option than Santos or Saarloos.

I thought that was interesting, too. Bray's numbers look pretty good if you take out those 2 games. (I suppose that would apply to a lot of relievers, as well.) I really like Bray's K/BB ratio and the fact that he hasn't give up a HR all year.

Muggerd
07-27-2007, 04:36 PM
I'm not too familiar with Dumatrait. His numbers look kinda interesting and he was an INT Mid-Season All Star.

Santos' numbers in AAA are kinda odd. His ERA is much worse when he's ahead in the count or bases empty. His ERA with runners on is 1.17 and with RISP, it's 1.80.

Now if that would just translate over to the big leagues, he'd be a welcome addition to the bullpen. I realize that just hasn't been the case this year. But who knows...maybe he'll accomplish something this time.

Clearly management doesnt care about those stats much. They keep running the same people out there in situations they have the most trouble in.

Homer Bailey
07-27-2007, 04:38 PM

LOL most misleading stats I've ever seen. Of course a pitcher's ERA goes up with men on base! Batting Average is a much better meter of how a pitcher pitches with runners on. A .60 ERA with runners not on base looks sweet, until you realize that the only way to give up an Earned run with no one on is a solo home run. Not a bad home run ratio though....

Red Rover
07-27-2007, 04:43 PM
The sad part is I fear Saarlos will be back up with Reds at some point. :bang:

Muggerd
07-27-2007, 04:44 PM
LOL most misleading stats I've ever seen. Of course a pitcher's ERA goes up with men on base! Batting Average is a much better meter of how a pitcher pitches with runners on. A .60 ERA with runners not on base looks sweet, until you realize that the only way to give up an Earned run with no one on is a solo home run. Not a bad home run ratio though....

You missed the 2nd part of his post :o

Muggerd
07-27-2007, 04:44 PM
The sad part is I fear Saarlos will be back up with Reds at some point. :bang:

yea no doubt about that one. Who did we give up for Saarlos in his trade?

Muggerd
07-27-2007, 04:46 PM
David Shafer luckily he isnt doing too good either

Homer Bailey
07-27-2007, 04:46 PM
You missed the 2nd part of his post :o

I went back and read it three times.... what did I miss?

durl
07-27-2007, 04:49 PM

While it's obvious that a pitcher's ERA will increase when runners are on base, my intent was to raise the question if those numbers were what the front office was worried about. I didn't mean to imply that his numbers were horrible.

While the Reds do need another good starting pitcher or two (perhaps Livingston is one of those) their biggest need is middle relief. After watching Coffey and Saarloos give up too many runs this week, I can't help but think they desperately want a guy who can come in and get out of a jam.

Muggerd
07-27-2007, 04:50 PM
I went back and read it three times.... what did I miss?

the part where he compared Santos and Phils numbers.

I dont know maybe i read it wrong :beerme:

captainmorgan07
07-27-2007, 04:57 PM
only reason i can think for this move is belisle to the pen santos then goes to long relief and gosling starts on sunday. Only way i can fathom wayne making this move.

Jerry Narron
07-27-2007, 05:18 PM
I cannot remember how many times I told Wayne we needed to bring up some young arms from the minors, but he wouldn't listen and it ended up costing me my job.

Muggerd
07-27-2007, 05:22 PM
I cannot remember how many times I told Wayne we needed to bring up some young arms from the minors, but he wouldn't listen and it ended up costing me my job.

:laugh: You wouldnt have pitched them anyways.

Jerry Narron
07-27-2007, 08:33 PM
:laugh: You wouldnt have pitched them anyways.

You would have been surprised with what went on behind closed doors between Wayne and I.

Muggerd
07-27-2007, 08:35 PM
You would have been surprised with what went on behind closed doors between Wayne and I.

:thumbdown

klw
08-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Per fay
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/

Thursday, August 2, 2007
Santos starting

It looks like Victor Santos will start Saturday in Pittsburgh. Aaron Harang isn't going to be ready.

The only catch is the Reds might need Santos is long relief tonight or Friday.

Ooh yeah. I am so excited.:rolleyes:

mroby85
08-02-2007, 05:02 PM
jeesh

Reds Freak
08-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Well besides Elizardo, who would you rather see starting assuming Harang isn't healthy enough to go? There isn't much to speak of in AAA and you don't want to bring the kids up now.

redsfanmia
08-02-2007, 05:23 PM
This season is going to get even uglier if thats possible.

klw
08-02-2007, 05:32 PM
Well besides Elizardo, who would you rather see starting assuming Harang isn't healthy enough to go? There isn't much to speak of in AAA and you don't want to bring the kids up now.

Honestly I don't don't know. Saving Ramirez for that role and throwing Santos last night would have been preferable. But the only other arm I would consider would have be Richie Gardner to give him a taste and a reward for his work but he has been shaky in Louisville. Cueto went last night so he would not have been an option. Lecure last went on Monday so he would be another option to get a taste. But with them there would also be roster issues. i guess I am not excited as this is the post deadline malaise and the board is so negative right now it is tough to read much of what is here. the one arm I would love to see brought up and given a chance the rest of the way is Carlos Guevara. What else does he need to do to get out of AA.
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Carlos%20Guevara&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=454581

JLB5
08-02-2007, 10:15 PM
So much for that idea after Santos pitched tonight. Bullpen by committee?

Slyder
08-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Bring on Elizardo!!!!! The Lizard Man of the Queen City returns!!!!