PDA

View Full Version : Saarloos to Louisville, Santos called up

Reds Fanatic
07-27-2007, 04:36 PM
This is from C. Trent:

Saarlos outrighted to Louisville, Victor Santos called up. Really.

Chip R
07-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Good.

BRM
07-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Been there, done that. Not a bad move though.

WVRedsFan
07-27-2007, 04:38 PM
This is from C. Trent:

Saarlos outrighted to Louisville, Victor Santos called up. Really.same old, same old.

Joseph
07-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Now if we just get Eddie and Bray back, we'll win the division.....

Tom Servo
07-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Lord know if there's just one thing we were all clamoring for, it was for the return of Santos!

Ltlabner
07-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Expected after yesterdays disaster (again) by Sarrloos.

Not that Santos is any world beater, but he's far better in the long reliefe (read: step in when Loshe, Belisle or Livingston colapses and eat up 4 to 5 innings) role than Capt Kirk.

I'm sure there'll be some clever "deck chairs on the Titanic" comments, but this is a far better use of "roles" for the guys than having Sarrloos in the long reliefe spot.

Matt700wlw
07-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Saarloos had to go....

That is all.

Joseph
07-27-2007, 04:48 PM

Not that Santos is any world beater, but he's far better in the long reliefe (read: step in when Loshe, Belisle or Livingston colapses and eat up 4 to 5 innings) role than Capt Kirk.

I'm sure there'll be some clever "deck chairs on the Titanic" comments, but this is a far better use of "roles" for the guys than having Sarrloos in the long reliefe spot.

This is nothing like shuffling deck chairs on the titanic, this is much more like painting a house that was knocked down by a tornado.

:)

BRM
07-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Saarloos had to go....

That is all.

Agreed.

Ltlabner
07-27-2007, 04:49 PM
This is nothing like shuffling deck chairs on the titanic, this is much more like painting a house that was knocked down by a tornado.

:)

:laugh:

Much more creative and original!

Chip R
07-27-2007, 04:52 PM

Agreed. Santos is no world beater but he's decent as a long reliever. Every once in a while you'll have to trot him out in extra innings but I'd much rather have Santos in there than Saarloos.

WVRedsFan
07-27-2007, 05:12 PM
I'd just like to see some of the kids come up for a change, but I guess Louisville does have to finish out their season without all the Reds' crappy pitchers.

RedsManRick
07-27-2007, 05:15 PM
If only we can win a few more games the season will be saved!

Gross. Incompetence.

traderumor
07-27-2007, 05:19 PM
If only we can win a few more games the season will be saved!

Gross. Incompetence.

Mackanin has been talking a big game about "performance." I'd say this is consistent with that message. I was thinking about this after the blow up and figured that Pete would tell WK "I am not using Saarloos anymore. Just thought I'd let you know that."

bucksfan2
07-27-2007, 05:24 PM
And Todd Coffey is still on the big league club.

KronoRed
07-27-2007, 05:33 PM
And Todd Coffey is still on the big league club.

He's owed a lot of cash

pedro
07-27-2007, 05:35 PM
He's owed a lot of cash

That doesn't have much to do with this move IMO.

This is a swapping of the long guy, spot starter since saarloos was getting hit so hard.

Falls City Beer
07-27-2007, 05:46 PM
A better case was made by others for Salmon. I agree. Santos is more of the same of Saarloos. They're two sides of the same snot-covered coin.

fearofpopvol1
07-27-2007, 05:52 PM
I think Salmon would be the better choice too, but I don't think he would excel in the long reliever role. I think Santos for Saarloos is fine. I'd rather see them swap Coffey for Salmon.

Stormy
07-27-2007, 05:55 PM

Not really. It's basically a 'six of one, half dozen of another' shuffle, yet one that Krivsky apparently never tires of.

In May Santos sported a 5.68ERA and a 1.53WHIP over the span of 19+IPs of long-relief, and followed that up in June with a 7.71ERa and 1.71WHIP... and those numbers aren't deceptive, as he was hit at a torrid clip and surrendered both consistent runs, as well as big inning implosions. He's about 10 shades of horrible, which I guess is only slightly eclipsed by the fact that Saarloos (another great Krivsky BP addition) is somehow worse.

CaiGuy
07-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Weathers
Burton
Salmon
Bray
Coutlangus
Coffey
Mcbeth

RedsManRick
07-27-2007, 06:03 PM
Mackanin has been talking a big game about "performance." I'd say this is consistent with that message. I was thinking about this after the blow up and figured that Pete would tell WK "I am not using Saarloos anymore. Just thought I'd let you know that."

I have zero problem with getting rid of Saarloos. But why Santos? We continue to learn nothing about the ability of young, capable, relievers to pitch in the major leagues. Every pitch Santos throws is an opportunity stolen from somebody who might positively contribute in the future.

CaiGuy
07-27-2007, 06:06 PM
Haven't they figured out why all these guys passed through waivers? Santos, Moeller, and Stone have all been DFAed this year, and have passed through waivers. Nobody wants them, not even for free. How do they find their way back the the major league roster? Take a hint.

11larkin11
07-27-2007, 06:11 PM
Weathers
Burton
Salmon
Bray
Coutlangus
Coffey
Mcbeth

Weathers
Burton
Salmon
Bray
Coutlangus
Coffey (clean up role)
Gosling

traderumor
07-27-2007, 06:19 PM
I have zero problem with getting rid of Saarloos. But why Santos? We continue to learn nothing about the ability of young, capable, relievers to pitch in the major leagues. Every pitch Santos throws is an opportunity stolen from somebody who might positively contribute in the future.

Salmon has already been rightly disposed of as a possibility because he isn't likely to be much help in long relief. After that, I think you are heading down to AA and the likes of Medlock and Guevera. The lack of young arms is nothing new.

pedro
07-27-2007, 10:01 PM

Because he's a long reliever who can go several innings if Belisle, Livingston, or Lohse get knocked out early, which really isn't that unlikely. With a staff like the reds have it's probably a good idea to carry such a guy.

deltachi8
07-28-2007, 04:51 AM
Is it also time to look at moving Belisle into the long role and finding a different starter to get a shot?

Ron Madden
07-28-2007, 05:08 AM
The way I see it.

I'd rather give the young guys a fair shot, this season is all but lost anyway.

Seems to me the bullpen has been Wayne's top priority. He has spent plenty of time, money and trading chips to improve this bullpen.

Say what you will, believe what you want. (IMHO) Wayne's efforts have been pretty close to complete failure.

Cromier and Stanton? Wayne should never be able to blow that kind of smoke up anybodys butt.

mth123
07-28-2007, 06:36 AM
The way I see it.

I'd rather give the young guys a fair shot, this season is all but lost anyway.

Seems to me the bullpen has been Wayne's top priority. He has spent plenty of time, money and trading chips to improve this bullpen.

Say what you will, believe what you want. (IMHO) Wayne's efforts have been pretty close to complete failure.

Cromier and Stanton? Wayne should never be able to blow that kind of smoke up anybodys butt.

Basically agree. Hopefully Lohse, Stanton and some other chaff gets moved in the next couple of days and we see Bray, Dumatrait, Salmon, etc.

That said Santos >Saarloos. Just about anyone at AAA or AA > Saarloos IMO. So as long as Saarloos is the guy sent out, its an improvement IMO. Heck I'd even rather have Milton. Trading for obvious chaff like Saarloos and paying above minimum for his like are the types of litte negatives that don't get noticed, but eat resources and lead to a short roster.

Little mistakes on the margins that cost $ force the team to "settle" in the more important spots (where sometimes an overpayment is required to get the production needed). I consider WK's trade for Saarloos one of his worst moves. This team has "dead money" consuming 23.5% of the payroll. The Reds are currently paying $16.3 Million or so to players who aren't on the Roster. That is enough to get a top starter w/o moving any of the current players and doesn't count money that will be freed up when some of the current group leave after the season (to finance a few already settled raises). It really would only take moving a couple of next year's commitments (Stanton, Freel, etc.) to put this team in fine shape financially for 2008 to allow the team to keep the core, pay the raises and add a top starter. In 2009 the Reds will have plenty of money freed up to finance the built-in raises for Harang and Arroyo that really kick in in 2009.

Even so, I'd still be shopping Griffey, Hatte, Conine, and Weathers real hard in addition to Lohse, Stanton, and Freel.