PDA

View Full Version : Bob Brenly meeting this weekend?

Matt700wlw
07-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Chicago-Sun Times

Cubs broadcaster Bob Brenly, the former World Series-winning manager of the Arizona Diamondbacks, said he still has not spoken with any Cincinnati Reds executives about their managerial opening. But he said he anticipates chatting with Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky during the Cubs' weekend series if he runs into Krivsky before a game.

RedEye
07-27-2007, 05:45 PM
If we get a big name manager, I'd much rather Girardi, LaRussa, or Davey Johnson. Brenly was alright with the Snakes that year, but he also had perhaps the best 1-2 pitching combo ever. He also started Tony Womack at leadoff for what it's worth. I'm just not sure he's our man (though he may be Krivksy's and Castellini's).

KronoRed
07-27-2007, 05:49 PM
I hope Wayne avoid Bob as much as possible

pedro
07-27-2007, 05:50 PM
Translation : Please, Please, Please let me interview.

westofyou
07-27-2007, 05:59 PM
Good lord, I thought there were lobbying laws in Illinois.

Joseph
07-27-2007, 06:26 PM
Translation : Please, Please, Please let me interview.

Exactly.

Maybe Joe Buck will interview next time he comes to town. :rolleyes:

RedLegSuperStar
07-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Ol' Bobby is desperate..

Crash Davis
07-27-2007, 07:15 PM
I hope Wayne avoid Bob as much as possible

Other than the aforementioned use of Tony Womack, what makes you cringe about Bob Brenly as manager?

wheels
07-27-2007, 09:15 PM
I read a snippett in ESPN the Magazine while at the doctor's office today, and it mentioned that the Reds had contact with Dusty Baker.

The Horror.

Matt700wlw
07-27-2007, 09:17 PM
I read a snippett in ESPN the Magazine while at the doctor's office today, and it mentioned that the Reds had contact with Dusty Baker.

The Horror.

I'd move.

wheels
07-27-2007, 09:18 PM
I'd move.

I don't even want to think about how I'd react.

KronoRed
07-27-2007, 10:59 PM
Other than the aforementioned use of Tony Womack, what makes you cringe about Bob Brenly as manager?

Tony Womack use is reason enough

Ron Madden
07-28-2007, 05:30 AM

He reminds me of Ray Knight and Jerry Narron.

He will always leave himself with no bench or no bullpen late in close games.

Bob Boone might even have won a few games with Johnson and Schilling.

Eric_Davis
07-28-2007, 06:00 AM
If Mack keeps these guys playing for him at a .600 clip for the rest of the year, you've got to give him the job...one year at a time...forget multi-year contracts. FWIW, Girardi will never come here. He's the #1 candidate out there and Cincinnati, sad as it is to say, is not viewed as the #1 place to Manage.

Anyway, managing is mostly about getting guys to do their best, and Mackinen is heading the right direction. The rebound period is over with Narron gone. They're playing better now because they're playing for Mackinen.

alloverjr
07-28-2007, 10:21 AM

The Horror.

Hopefully just fullfilling the requirement of interviewing minority candidates and they already know he won't want the job. Just guessing.

BrooklynRedz
07-28-2007, 11:27 AM
A name I haven't heard mentioned is Terry Pendleton. Not sure if there's an unspoken agreement wherein he is tapped to follow Cox, but he's a guy I'd at least bring in to interview.

Crash Davis
07-28-2007, 12:41 PM
Tony Womack use is reason enough

Have you looked at the Womack/Brenly era D-Backs? Unless you were willing to bat your 2nd best power source (Steve Finley) at the top of the lineup, there wasn't much of an option. If you were managing that team, I bet you would have been forced to pencil in Womack as lead-off too. Diamondback Womack wasn't as poor of a player as you remember Red Womack to be.

Brenly seems like a pretty bright guy as far as baseball managers go, and he's wearing a World Series ring. We could do a lot worse.

Reds4Life
07-28-2007, 01:05 PM
If Mack keeps these guys playing for him at a .600 clip for the rest of the year, you've got to give him the job...one year at a time...forget multi-year contracts.

No you don't. This organization needs to learn from it's past two mistakes when hiring managers, we don't need to go down that path yet again. Hiring him would be nothing more than that status quo in Cincinnati. If RCast doesn't want to be viewed as the second coming of Uncle Carl he needs to step up with this hire.

I think Jocketty will be picking or new manager anyway, not special K, especially if he does nothing or get s fleeced again at the deadline.

KronoRed
07-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Have you looked at the Womack/Brenly era D-Backs? Unless you were willing to bat your 2nd best power source (Steve Finley) at the top of the lineup, there wasn't much of an option. If you were managing that team, I bet you would have been forced to pencil in Womack as lead-off too. Diamondback Womack wasn't as poor of a player as you remember Red Womack to be.

Brenly seems like a pretty bright guy as far as baseball managers go, and he's wearing a World Series ring. We could do a lot worse.
Jay Bell would have been my leadoff hitter in 2001, and after that Craig Counsell , guys who can't get on base don't have any business at the top of a lineup unless they have a lot of power.

Of course most managers just put the speed guy at the top, ah well.

KronoRed
07-28-2007, 01:11 PM
If Mack keeps these guys playing for him at a .600 clip for the rest of the year, you've got to give him the job...one year at a time...forget multi-year contracts. FWIW, Girardi will never come here. He's the #1 candidate out there and Cincinnati, sad as it is to say, is not viewed as the #1 place to Manage.

Anyway, managing is mostly about getting guys to do their best, and Mackinen is heading the right direction. The rebound period is over with Narron gone. They're playing better now because they're playing for Mackinen.

Narron went .500 after he took over for Miley, we heard the same things then.

Let Mack interview, but make a real search.

nate
07-28-2007, 02:30 PM
No you don't. This organization needs to learn from it's past two mistakes when hiring managers, we don't need to go down that path yet again.

That's the sort of thing that's true until its not.

IOW, coincidence.

I want them to hire a field manager that'll get the whatever team they put on the diamond in the best position to win games.

If that's Mac, fine.

If that's LaRussa, fine.

If that's FCB, fine.

mth123
07-28-2007, 03:13 PM

I agree with this as usual Krono, but here is something to ponder. Maybe they already did a real search and decided that MacKanin was their guy and just stashed him in the scouting job until the time was right.

Seems like the same way Johnson, McKeon and Boone were hired by Bowden and how DanO hired Narron.

Businesses of all types do succesion planning like that all the time and I think that the Reds have actually gone outside the organization via search for all the recent managerial openings (except Miley). Its just that the guy was brought in ahead of the actual opening.

coachw513
07-28-2007, 04:03 PM
That's the sort of thing that's true until its not.

IOW, coincidence.

I want them to hire a field manager that'll get the whatever team they put on the diamond in the best position to win games.

If that's Mac, fine.
If that's FCB, fine.
If that's LaRussa, fine.

You had me until....

LaRussa :D

(Edited to correct the order :thumbup:)

In all seriousness, a "progression" to the mean by the Reds doesn't mean Mackanin is the right guy...how much of 14-8 is change for change sake and not Mackanin???...a bunch, I believe...

But, his communication skills with the players, his ability to much more seamlessly integrate the entire roster into staying sharp and a better feel (IMHO) of pitching staff use (of course, no one can truly be effective with this bullpen) have been improvements over Narron...

Eric_Davis
07-28-2007, 05:07 PM
A name I haven't heard mentioned is Terry Pendleton. Not sure if there's an unspoken agreement wherein he is tapped to follow Cox, but he's a guy I'd at least bring in to interview.

That's interesting. Didn't he start his career as a catcher before switching to 3B? I know he was a leader, just not with the bat and glove, whereever he went. Heck of a teacher working under Bobby Cox shows potential.

Eric_Davis
07-28-2007, 05:12 PM
No you don't. This organization needs to learn from it's past two mistakes when hiring managers, we don't need to go down that path yet again. Hiring him would be nothing more than that status quo in Cincinnati. If RCast doesn't want to be viewed as the second coming of Uncle Carl he needs to step up with this hire.

I think Jocketty will be picking or new manager anyway, not special K, especially if he does nothing or get s fleeced again at the deadline.

But, it wouldn't be status quo. They've never hired an interim manager who got his team to play at a .600 clip for him. That's totally different than hiring someone who's team played .500 for him, and lost as many as they won.

Do you know how difficult it is to win at a .600 clip? No REDS' manager has pulled it off over his career as a RED for over 55 years. Mackinen's not an idiot, and there's no way that you or I or anyone on this board knows as much about the game as he does, or knows about his abilities to manage. Results are the bottom line when it comes to managing, and if you can get your team to win, then you have success.

Eric_Davis
07-28-2007, 05:18 PM

Of course, I hope they do a real search. It's too important a job in a $200 Million organization to just hand it to someone because he had 3 months of success.

I don't put any merit in a coach that gets a team to lose as many games as he wins, such as Narron and his .500 clip, even if they were below .400 when he took over. But I do consider a .600 clip for 3 months an impressive item on one's resume, especially when it's the same team that you're interviewing to be the manager. I place more importance on that than on Girardi's record with the Marlins.

Eric_Davis
07-28-2007, 05:24 PM
You had me until....

LaRussa :D

(Edited to correct the order :thumbup:)

In all seriousness, a "progression" to the mean by the Reds doesn't mean Mackanin is the right guy...how much of 14-8 is change for change sake and not Mackanin???...a bunch, I believe...

But, his communication skills with the players, his ability to much more seamlessly integrate the entire roster into staying sharp and a better feel (IMHO) of pitching staff use (of course, no one can truly be effective with this bullpen) have been improvements over Narron...

It's not a damn "progression to the mean". Enough with that jibberish and hogwash statistical crap. These are human beings and react as humans do to different authority figures. They are playing well because they are playing for a different manager. If Narron was still here or if they had brought in Miley or Boone to take over, they wouldn't be 14-8 under either of them. At best, they'd be .500 and probably still be .400.

These are human beings people. They aren't names you plug into Nintendo or Playstation. You'll never understand baseball until you understand that and guys like Rob Neyer are clueless in that area. Neyer doesn't know one-fifth of what Mackinen knows, and what makes him such a geek is that he thinks he either know almost as much, as much, or more.

coachw513
07-28-2007, 05:50 PM
It's not a damn "progression to the mean". Enough with that jibberish and hogwash statistical crap. These are human beings and react as humans do to different authority figures. They are playing well because they are playing for a different manager. If Narron was still here or if they had brought in Miley or Boone to take over, they wouldn't be 14-8 under either of them. At best, they'd be .500 and probably still be .400.

These are human beings people. They aren't names you plug into Nintendo or Playstation. You'll never understand baseball until you understand that and guys like Rob Neyer are clueless in that area. Neyer doesn't know one-fifth of what Mackinen knows, and what makes him such a geek is that he thinks he either know almost as much, as much, or more.

But you make my same point...Change affects an organization simply due to the change...that's a fact...

Are you willing to under any standard to associate the entire measure of improvement to Mackanin solely???...that's a reach I cannot do...

I'm not saying he doesn't merit consideration...but here's the thing...the Reds were DEAD MAN WALKING for 6 weeks...you, me, anyone would've been able to walk in and have become a breath of fresh air...

And I DO KNOW about the dynamics of a lockerroom...it's a mighty fragile thing, the difference between a confident or a struggling team...all the credit to this team under this leadership to be playing much more capable baseball and credit to Pete for being a PART of it...

I wasn't around during the Miley or Narron interim times but I'm sure many were jumping on those busses as well...

If Pete is the best guy after an extensive search, an examination of this team's play for the rest of the season and pairing the version of the Reds that exists post 7/31 and managerial style, so be it...

Oh, assuming the YOU in your quote is generically generated for a segment of folks at RZ and not at me specifically :thumbup:

Matt700wlw
07-28-2007, 06:44 PM

We have a winner.