PDA

View Full Version : What if players had to declare for the MLB draft?

EddieMilner
07-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Whats the benefit for MLB not making amateurs declare for the 1st Years Player Draft? Would this limit the number of players and therefore not allowing the teams to fill out their minor league rosters? To me it seems that it really hurts the teams since players have leverage with staying in school or going to college. Since its the MLB's draft, I feel that it would be in their best interest to make players declare and lost their amateur status.

dougdirt
07-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Whats the benefit for MLB not making amateurs declare for the 1st Years Player Draft? Would this limit the number of players and therefore not allowing the teams to fill out their minor league rosters? To me it seems that it really hurts the teams since players have leverage with staying in school or going to college. Since its the MLB's draft, I feel that it would be in their best interest to make players declare and lost their amateur status.

That only works to an extent. College basketball players can declare for the draft, not sign with an agent, be drafted,not sign and return to school. They are then a free agent the next year and can sign with anyone they want.

EddieMilner
07-27-2007, 04:47 PM
I thought that in the NBA you drafted the rights to that player forever. I thought I heard that on ESPN that Yi will have to play for the Bucs unless they trade away his rights.

dougdirt
07-27-2007, 05:38 PM
I thought that in the NBA you drafted the rights to that player forever. I thought I heard that on ESPN that Yi will have to play for the Bucs unless they trade away his rights.

Im an idiot. In the NBA if you declare for the draft and go undrafted, you go back to school and are then a FA.

My bad.