PDA

View Full Version : Lohse tidbit

nate
07-27-2007, 05:32 PM
From Trent (http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/2007/07/redlegs-cublegs-727.asp):

Asked Pete Mackanin about the rotation he said it was intact until the 31st. After that he said Arroyo, Harang, Livingston, Belisle. Notice anything missing? I wouldn't expect to see Lohse in a Reds uniform again unless it's as a pinch-runner or pinch-hitter.

Matt700wlw
07-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Interesting...

RedLegSuperStar
07-27-2007, 05:39 PM
From Trent (http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/2007/07/redlegs-cublegs-727.asp):

Belisle still in there.. DOH!

Falls City Beer
07-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Good. I certainly don't want to see the Reds tie him up to multiple seasons.

TOBTTReds
07-27-2007, 06:12 PM
It's been a fun, and awkward, sometimes miserable run. He sure was a mystery to many of us.

Patrick Bateman
07-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Good. I had little interest in signing Lohse long term especially considering the amount of money it would take to get him.

I'll say that Lohse was a very solid back of the rotation starter, and I was pleased to have him. Hopefully the Reds can now turn him into a decent prospect.

Patrick Bateman
07-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Belisle still in there.. DOH!

Who exactly do you suggest is going to be an improvement? And you need to find 2 starters better than Belisle at this point to bump him. They certainly aren't coming from within the organization, and last time I checked no team is looking to deal good starters (outside of rentals).

savafan
07-27-2007, 06:52 PM
Is EZ injured or still down on the farm? Haven't heard much about him this year.

Eric_Davis
07-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Is EZ injured or still down on the farm? Haven't heard much about him this year.

He's pitching tonight...back from rehab. He could use a season or more down in AAA to learn how to pitch better.

nate
07-27-2007, 07:48 PM
He's pitching tonight...back from rehab. He could use a season or more down in AAA to learn how to pitch better.

How many season would Eric Milton need?

wheels
07-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Lohse has been mentioned as next year's Gil Meche.

Wayne should play up that angle during trade discussions.

Matt700wlw
07-27-2007, 08:18 PM
Lohse has been mentioned as next year's Gil Meche.

Wayne should play up that angle during trade discussions.

We can't let Wayne pay him like he's the next Gil Meche...I honestly don't think we have to worry about that, but we all must collectively think good thoughts.

wheels
07-27-2007, 08:20 PM
We can't let Wayne pay him like he's the next Gil Meche...I honestly don't think we have to worry about that, but we all must collectively think good thoughts.

What I mean is, when talking to other clubs about a trade he should mention Gil's name.

"Lohse? Boy, I'd hate to part with him, we feel he can be the next Gil Meche..."

It couldn't hurt.

Mario-Rijo
07-27-2007, 09:16 PM
That's interesting, wonder to whom and for what.

My guess is the Phillies for Michael Bourn (I'm hoping). Of course I personally would rather have Rowand and sign him to a 3-4 yr deal. But Bourn I could certainly live with, the only question is will he hit? He has done so ok to this point and if someone nurtures him just so he could become a fantastic leadoff hitter.

Patrick Bateman
07-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Bourn would be a handy guy to have around. There are more positions of need I'd rather cover, but I have no problems getting a legit CF'der that has shown some nice on base abilities.

KronoRed
07-27-2007, 09:57 PM
I take this to mean Mack expects Lohse to be dealt, not that he's been told he'll be dealt, I think he'll be right back out there playing Jekyll and Hyde very soon;)

Highlifeman21
07-28-2007, 03:39 PM

Same should be said for Homer Bailey.

RedLegSuperStar
07-28-2007, 04:37 PM
Fay -

Also, according to the gamenotes, the probable starters for the upcoming Nationals Series are as follows:

Tuesday - Reds RH Kyle Lohse vs. Nationals LH Matt Chico
Wednesday - Reds RH Bronson Arroyo vs. Nationals LH John Lannan
Thursday - Reds RH Aaron Harang vs. Nationals LH Mike Bacsik

KronoRed
07-28-2007, 04:54 PM
That actually seems logical, otherwise Arroyo and Harang are on 4 days rest

Mario-Rijo
07-29-2007, 09:53 PM
Seems like the perfect place for this piece on Jayson Starks report.

LAST UPDATE: JULY 29, 8:45 p.m. ET

Who are the hottest commodities on the trade market? Here's the current top five as we draw closer to Tuesday's trade deadline.

5 Kyle Lohse, Reds RHP 5
MARKET REPORT
An official of one team shopping furiously for pitching predicted Saturday that Lohse will be the first starting pitcher to get traded -- just not to this official's team. And that seems to be every club's tune. "He WILL be traded," an NL executive said Saturday. "But I don't think it will be to us. The problem is, the choices all stink." Well, Lohse doesn't stink. He just rides the roller coaster, teasing teams with good stuff, frustrating them with uneven results. He gets savaged by scouts who have seen him when he's down -- and the four starts in the past month in which he has given up five runs or more have given them plenty of ammunition. But he also has his good nights (eight starts of two earned runs or fewer). So we'll roll out the definitive Kyle Lohse quote we unfurled in Friday's Stark Market: "I couldn't bring myself to trust Kyle Lohse to pitch a big game," one scout said. "He might win that game. I just wouldn't trust him to pitch it." We still think the law of supply (limited) and demand (massive) will provide enough impetus to get Lohse traded somewhere. But we also think the team that winds up trading for him will be telling itself it can't believe it couldn't find someone better.

RedLegSuperStar
07-29-2007, 10:08 PM
Seems like the perfect place for this piece on Jayson Starks report.

Painful to read but serves a point because you don't know what you are going to get from Lohse. I think its mental personally.

corkedbat
07-29-2007, 10:13 PM
But we also think the team that winds up trading for him will be telling itself it can't believe it couldn't find someone better.

No. They'll be dislocating shoulders in the ruxh to pat themselves on the back after Pyrite throws 8 innings of two-hit, no-run ball and wins his first start.

It will only be after the second, third and fourth starts in which he allows four and five runs each game to mediocre hitters on two-out, 0-2 counts that the ugly truth will set in and their once-promising careers will slowly start to pass before their stinging, bloodshot eyes. :cool:

Mario-Rijo
07-29-2007, 10:56 PM
This quote from CNNSI

The starting pitching market is so weak that, believe it or not, Kyle Lohse is considered a hot item.

Ouch! Well hopefully he nets us something good.

BRM
07-30-2007, 10:19 AM
Per mlbtraderumors.

The Mets think many of the available starting pitchers could be traded in August - Jose Contreras, Kyle Lohse, and Steve Trachsel for example. I don't agree on Lohse - he'll be traded today or tomorrow.

Reds Fanatic
07-30-2007, 10:24 AM
According to Ken Rosenthal Lohse is one of at least 3 pitchers the Phillies are looking at. They are looking at Lohse, Joe Blanton of the A's or Jason Jennings of the Astros.

BRM
07-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Speaking of Blanton, the Mets reportedly inquired about him but Beane asked for Milledge in return. This according to mlbtraderumors.

Joseph
07-30-2007, 10:30 AM
According to Ken Rosenthal Lohse is one of at least 3 pitchers the Phillies are looking at. They are looking at Lohse, Joe Blanton of the A's or Jason Jennings of the Astros.

Why not try to get Joe Blanton and bring him back to the area that is 'home'? He may not be Cy Young, but he's a serviceable major leaguer who is young and inexpensive which are both things this club needs.

RedLegSuperStar
07-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Why not try to get Joe Blanton and bring him back to the area that is 'home'? He may not be Cy Young, but he's a serviceable major leaguer who is young and inexpensive which are both things this club needs.

Wonder what the A's price tag is for him?

BRM
07-30-2007, 10:50 AM
Wonder what the A's price tag is for him?

When the Mets asked, he wanted Milledge in return.

flyer85
07-30-2007, 10:50 AM
Speaking of Blanton, the Mets reportedly inquired about him but Beane asked for Milledge in return. This according to mlbtraderumors.if the Mets were smart they would take that deal and get another OF elsewhere. Milledge is another overhyped NY porspect.

flyer85
07-30-2007, 10:52 AM
BTW, all is takes is one team to block a post July 31st deal, and by that time Lohse will only be owed over $1M.

BRM
07-30-2007, 11:27 AM
BTW, all is takes is one team to block a post July 31st deal, and by that time Lohse will only be owed over $1M.

Lohse will have to be traded now if he's going to be traded. I highly doubt he would clear waivers next month.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-30-2007, 12:45 PM
It seems like a no-brainer to me that the Cards should go after Lohse.

Imagine what Duncan could do with him considering what's he's done with others including Franklin and Hancock.

Chip R
07-30-2007, 12:59 PM
It seems like a no-brainer to me that the Cards should go after Lohse.

Imagine what Duncan could do with him considering what's he's done with others including Franklin and Hancock.

He's a miracle worker but hasn't had much luck with Kip Wells.

TOBTTReds
07-30-2007, 01:48 PM
He's a miracle worker but hasn't had much luck with Kip Wells.

Or Braden Looper...or Anthony Reyes