PDA

View Full Version : Unconfirmed Rumor: Cubs Looking At Griffey, Dunn

RedLegSuperStar
07-27-2007, 05:46 PM
MLBTradeRumors.com

Unconfirmed Rumor: Cubs Looking At Griffey, Dunn

Didn't hear the report myself, but a loyal reader dropped me an email.

Apparently a recent Bruce Levine report for ESPN Radio 1000 had some interesting Cubs rumors. Levine says the Cubs might try to trade for Adam Dunn or Ken Griffey Jr. Any deal would likely include Sean Gallagher, and the Cubs called up Matt Murton today to showcase him.

This rumor leaves more questions than answers:

* Would the Cubs again move their superstar signing Alfonso Soriano to center or right field to create a spot for Dunn?
* If not, how ugly would Dunn be in right field at Wrigley? He hasn't played the position regularly since 2001.
* With the management situation in flux, could the Cubs really take on Griffey's contract, which runs through 2008? Or even the $3.8MM still owed to Dunn this year?
* Are Arby's new popcorn chicken shakers as tasty as they look on TV?
* Would Gallagher and Murton be enough for either of those players?

RBA
07-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Gallagher for Griffey?

Ironic, isn't it?

By the way, I'm still counting down to TEN THOUSAND POST. 70 MORE TO GO.

Tom Servo
07-27-2007, 05:49 PM
I would just hate to contribute positively to the Cubs playoff chances, but if we could get Gallagher AND Murton, I may be able to swallow my pride.

Falls City Beer
07-27-2007, 05:53 PM
I would just hate to contribute positively to the Cubs playoff chances, but if we could get Gallagher AND Murton, I may be able to swallow my pride.

Not me. And I like Murton.

RedLegSuperStar
07-27-2007, 05:53 PM

I would take Gallagher and Pie

Wheelhouse
07-27-2007, 06:20 PM
They might do Pie for Griffey straight up. I can't see them parting ways with Pie for Dunn. Unless they could wrap him up with a LTC.

savafan
07-27-2007, 06:51 PM
Gallagher for Griffey?

Ironic, isn't it?

Gallagher is not our savior! ;)

Mario-Rijo
07-27-2007, 09:08 PM
I haven't had the popcorn chicken shakers, but I hear there good! ;)

mth123
07-27-2007, 09:30 PM
Gallagher, Murton, and Wuertz for Griffey. I wouldn't mind Ronny Cedeno as a part of the return instead of Murton either. I'd Take Carlos Marmol instead of Wuertz as well but the Cubs wouldn't part with him IMO. The Cubs have enough excess to make a deal that would help both teams IMO. The Reds could throw in a relief suspect (Maj??) if need be.

Falls City Beer
07-27-2007, 09:38 PM
Gallagher, Murton, and Wuertz for Griffey. I wouldn't mind Ronny Cedeno as a part of the return instead of Murton either. I'd Take Carlos Marmol instead of Wuertz as well but the Cubs wouldn't part with him IMO. The Cubs have enough excess to make a deal that would help both teams IMO. The Reds could throw in a relief suspect (Maj??) if need be.

That's a good package for Griffey.

Strikes Out Looking
07-27-2007, 10:58 PM
The rumor has now been confirmed. The Cubs looked out to left field and right field and indeed saw Dunn and Griffey.

Marc D
07-28-2007, 12:03 AM
I'd pass on Gallagher personally. Never found him the least bit amusing.

Mario-Rijo
07-28-2007, 12:05 AM
I'd pass on Gallagher personally. Never found him the least bit amusing.

Perhaps you need to find a seat further from the stage! ;)

WVPacman
07-28-2007, 12:25 AM
Wake up guys the reds are not going to make a trade with a division foe and help them win.If the reds do do that then they need to fire all the people that work in the front office.Im sure they are going to trade Dunn or JR to a team that we have to play 19 or so times!!! Its just my opinion but it would be stupid.

fearofpopvol1
07-28-2007, 02:14 AM
Wake up guys the reds are not going to make a trade with a division foe and help them win.If the reds do do that then they need to fire all the people that work in the front office.Im sure they are going to trade Dunn or JR to a team that we have to play 19 or so times!!! Its just my opinion but it would be stupid.

I would typically agree, but the Reds are very clearly out of it this year and you have to entertain any idea that is going to imrpove our team (division or not). With that said, I don't see it happening anyhow.

Marty and Joe
07-28-2007, 06:46 AM
The other side of the rumor has been confirmed. Gallagher does indeed play for the Cubs! Who knew?? I could go for some sledge-o-matic shows between innings though. :D

Rojo
07-28-2007, 12:57 PM
Maybe they could package him with Emo Phillips and Gilbert Gottfried.

mth123
07-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Anyone wonder about Matt Murton being a late scratch tonight and Griffey also not starting?

Just observing.