PDA

View Full Version : Innings scored on and Big Innings

texasdave
07-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Just a little something to do while waiting for the rain delay to end.

This chart has four columns:

ISO% - Innings Scored On percentage - the number of innings in which the opposition scored a run divided by the number of innings the pitcher appeared in. Therefore if a pitcher came out for an inning that is counted whether he retired a batter or not.

BI% - Big Inning percentage - this is the number of innings in which the pitcher gave up 3 or more runs divided by the number of innings the pitcher appeared in.

ERA - listed for informational purposes.

Starts - Ditto.

Pitcher IS0% Pitcher BI% Pitcher ERA Pitcher STARTS
Harang 25.5% Lvngstn 0.0% Harang 3.45 Harang 22
Lohse 29.2% Harang 3.9% Lvngstn 3.72 Arroyo 21
Arroyo 29.4% Belisle 5.0% Arroyo 4.58 Lohse 21
Lvngstn 32.3% Arroyo 5.9% Lohse 4.58 Belisle 20
Belisle 37.2% Milton 6.1% Milton 5.17 Milton 6
Milton 42.4% Bailey 6.7% Belisle 5.28 Bailey 6
Srloos 42.9% Lohse 7.3% Bailey 6.99 Lvngstn 5
Bailey 43.3% Srloos 14.3% Srloos 13.50 Srloos 2

Aaron Harang is scored upon about every four innings and has been very successful at limiting big innings. Basically he has been the man.

Lohse and Arroyo have the same ERA to date. They have given up runs in about the same amount of innings, but Lohse has had many more big innings. I was surprised that his ERA isn't higher than Arroyo's.

Livingston is scored upon roughly every third inning. Remarkably, in five starts he has yet to succumb to a big inning. Pretty impressive for a young pitcher. This seems to indicate he isn't easily rattled.

Belisle is touched up fairly frequently but also seems to be able to limit somewhat big innings. I hope this bodes well for his future development.

Milton, Saarloos and Bailey have had their troubles across the board. Bailey has the excuse of youth; the other two not so much.

***Note*** Runs considered were both earned and unearned.

durl
07-27-2007, 09:36 PM
Good stats.

I'd like to see something similar for relievers...especially when it comes to the "big inning."

Has anyone seen stats on the number of runs each team has given up by inning this year? I'm guessing that there's no one even close to what the Reds have allowed.

Muggerd
07-28-2007, 12:06 AM
Just a little something to do while waiting for the rain delay to end.

This chart has four columns:

ISO% - Innings Scored On percentage - the number of innings in which the opposition scored a run divided by the number of innings the pitcher appeared in. Therefore if a pitcher came out for an inning that is counted whether he retired a batter or not.

BI% - Big Inning percentage - this is the number of innings in which the pitcher gave up 3 or more runs divided by the number of innings the pitcher appeared in.

ERA - listed for informational purposes.

Starts - Ditto.

Pitcher IS0% Pitcher BI% Pitcher ERA Pitcher STARTS
Harang 25.5% Lvngstn 0.0% Harang 3.45 Harang 22
Lohse 29.2% Harang 3.9% Lvngstn 3.72 Arroyo 21
Arroyo 29.4% Belisle 5.0% Arroyo 4.58 Lohse 21
Lvngstn 32.3% Arroyo 5.9% Lohse 4.58 Belisle 20
Belisle 37.2% Milton 6.1% Milton 5.17 Milton 6
Milton 42.4% Bailey 6.7% Belisle 5.28 Bailey 6
Srloos 42.9% Lohse 7.3% Bailey 6.99 Lvngstn 5
Bailey 43.3% Srloos 14.3% Srloos 13.50 Srloos 2

Aaron Harang is scored upon about every four innings and has been very successful at limiting big innings. Basically he has been the man.

Lohse and Arroyo have the same ERA to date. They have given up runs in about the same amount of innings, but Lohse has had many more big innings. I was surprised that his ERA isn't higher than Arroyo's.

Livingston is scored upon roughly every third inning. Remarkably, in five starts he has yet to succumb to a big inning. Pretty impressive for a young pitcher. This seems to indicate he isn't easily rattled.

Belisle is touched up fairly frequently but also seems to be able to limit somewhat big innings. I hope this bodes well for his future development.

Milton, Saarloos and Bailey have had their troubles across the board. Bailey has the excuse of youth; the other two not so much.

***Note*** Runs considered were both earned and unearned.

This post is pretty much proof that a consistency is something the stats dont normally show. I absolutely love this post :o