PDA

View Full Version : Weathers

fadetoblack2880
07-28-2007, 11:29 AM
The Reds are now telling teams that reliever David Weathers is not available. Apparently, Reds management feels it's under some pressure to win in 2008 or face major changes to the front office, and Weathers has been effective for them as a closer and works cheap ($2.75 million in 2008).

Reds Freak
07-28-2007, 12:11 PM
I have no idea who is out there or how they would do it, but it would be real nice if the Reds could acquire a decent closer to pitch the 9th next year. Slide Weathers back to pitch in the dreaded 8th inning if they aren't going to trade him. Have Bray, Burton, Couter, McBeth in the 6th and 7th if needed and perhaps Medlock and Guevera to round out the bullpen while they learn the ropes...

fadetoblack2880
07-28-2007, 02:55 PM
I have no idea who is out there or how they would do it, but it would be real nice if the Reds could acquire a decent closer to pitch the 9th next year. Slide Weathers back to pitch in the dreaded 8th inning if they aren't going to trade him. Have Bray, Burton, Couter, McBeth in the 6th and 7th if needed and perhaps Medlock and Guevera to round out the bullpen while they learn the ropes...

I couldn't agree more. They also need a legit leadoff guy. Nothing against Freel, but they need a consistant guy that gets on base often via walks or whatever. Freel isn't that guy. He's a great late inning defensive replacement, but not an everyday leadoff man. Until this team finds someone to fill both these spots on a regular basis, they're not going to win consistantly. I'm not knocking Weathers either, but I think lastnights 9th should indicate the need of a lights out type guy.

Muggerd
07-28-2007, 03:22 PM
I would have had weathers pitching the 8th inning already this year and take my chances with one of our ****ty guys in the 9th.

Chi-Town Red
07-28-2007, 03:43 PM
He has had a good year...but a set up role is what he should be doing at this point in his career...I just cant see him as a long term answer to the closer role...if they want to keep him through next year, i do not have a problem at all with that, he deserves it.

Vada Pinson Fan
07-28-2007, 04:24 PM
Just imagine where the Reds would be if David Weathers had signed with the Phillies last year! Even though Weathers blew the save last night, I shudder to think what might have been!

LvJ
07-28-2007, 06:53 PM
Weathers has been a great help to this club. Last night he gave up some soft singles, but that'll happen every once in a while. I'd be glad to see him stick around. We have NO ONE to replace him with.