PDA

View Full Version : Cantu Deal is a Steal

runfreelrun
07-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Trading Calvin Medlock and Brian Shackleford for a guy 2 years removed from hitting 40 2b 28 hrs and 117 rbis. Are you kidding? I know he has struggled this year, but how much of that is due to injury and inconsistent playing time. To get this guy going into the off-season of 05 you would have to deal away at least one top 5 pitcher and one top 5 position player. Well done WK.

Chi-Town Red
07-28-2007, 06:55 PM
well done? what has he done since 05? im not saying he wont help the Reds but alot of guys played well 2 yrs ago...if he has been hurt for 2 yrs, thats a huge red flag...before we say well done, lets see him perform

Muggerd
07-28-2007, 06:59 PM
well done? what has he done since 05? im not saying he wont help the Reds but alot of guys played well 2 yrs ago...if he has been hurt for 2 yrs, thats a huge red flag...before we say well done, lets see him perform

he was hurt last year and drove in like 60 rbis in around 100 games. Not to compare on what to expect from him but think of Brandon Phillips. Cantu got hurt, ended up getting sent down the next year after recoving from his injury and was pretty upset about it so maybe a change of scenery is a good step in the right direction for him. Its not like we gave up anyone i would be too worried about.

captainmorgan07
07-28-2007, 06:59 PM
i agree it was steal if he is used correctly. Change of scenery could be exactly what the doctor ordered.

Chi-Town Red
07-28-2007, 07:01 PM
not worried.... but to praise WK like he just acquired A-ROD is a bit much

Muggerd
07-28-2007, 07:03 PM

:confused:

Krawhitham
07-28-2007, 07:14 PM
When did they start testing for steroids?

fadetoblack2880
07-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Cantu may have struggled for the last two seasons, but what has Shackleford done to warrant keeping him in the organization? I see no problem with a deal like this.

runfreelrun
07-28-2007, 07:36 PM
I would rather see WK make a move like this, then to acquire a ty wigginton like the astros just did. This guy has proven he can produce at the major league level, he fell out of favor in Tampa for whatever reason and just needs a fresh start, kind of reminds me of the julio lugo situation a few years back.

REDblooded
07-28-2007, 07:38 PM
When did they start testing for steroids?

Can't test for HGH, so you'd pretty much have to assume that most hitters/pitchers benefitting from roids would just make a minor lifestyle change.

I(heart)Freel
07-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Think we just figured out Votto's platoon-mate for 2008.

Or, this truly is the first move in the game of chess that is trade deadline week.

Cant Touch This
07-28-2007, 10:11 PM

Uh......okay? Not exactly how I interpreted the message, but to each his own I guess.

Chi-Town Red
07-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Uh......okay? Not exactly how I interpreted the message, but to each his own I guess. the thread says DEAL is a STEAL....To get this guy going into the off-season of 05 you would have to deal away at least one top 5 pitcher and one top 5 position player. Well done WK.............sounds like he just traded for A-ROD or something....thats all i was saying...way to excited for a guy who has no glove and hasn't really played in 2 yrs...thats my take....don't get me wrong, i hope he does great things for the Reds....

Cant Touch This
07-28-2007, 10:38 PM
While the term "steal" may be a bit premature, there's nothing that says it can't turn into one. (see Phillips.) However, I do think a "steal" falls somewhere in between dealing for Alex Rodriguez and Alex Trevino.

I may be wrong, but if the Reds dealt Shack and Medlock for A-ROD, I would assume the thread titles would be a tad more enthusiastic. I am wrong a lot, though....just ask my wife.

nmculbreth
07-28-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm not sure it was a steal but I don't see a whole lot of downside to this deal. At the very least the Reds added a decent bench player who can hit for some power and fill in at multiple positions on the field. At the same time if he's able to regain his form from 2005 the Reds will have added another quality bat for two middle relievers with limited upside. I don't know about anyone else but it looks like a low risk, high reward situation to me.

keeganbrick
07-28-2007, 11:10 PM
Cantu may have struggled for the last two seasons, but what has Shackleford done to warrant keeping him in the organization? I see no problem with a deal like this.

I dont think anyone cares about Shack, its Medlock.

ChatterRed
07-28-2007, 11:45 PM
We traded 2 stiffs for a reclamation project. Not saying it will work out, but if it doesn't............WHO FRICKIN' CARES? If it does work out and Cantu finds himself again due to a change of scenery, it will be another brilliant move.

wojo1025
07-28-2007, 11:57 PM
I happen to like this trade IF he comes in with a "new place" attitude ala Phillips. I remember Cantu having a fit when the Rays sent him to the minors earlier in the year. The last thing this team needs right now is someone coming in with that kind of attitude. However, if he comes in and plays according to his role on this team, I think he has huge upside, especially in this ballpark!! I know I'm dreaming, but moving Phillips to SS and letting Cantu play 2B leaving EE/Kepp to play 3rd. I know this will never happen because the team is set on NOT moving BP to SS and they've said Gonzo was "untouchable" which means he'll be right back out there playing short as soon as he gets back. However I could get excited about an infield of Votto (24), Cantu (25), Phillips (26), and EE (24)! Throw that in with Dunn (27) and Hamilton (26)... all of the sudden this team is young and possible exciting!

**note** I may be off on an age or two, but you get the idea!

keeganbrick
07-29-2007, 01:07 AM
We traded 2 stiffs for a reclamation project. Not saying it will work out, but if it doesn't............WHO FRICKIN' CARES? If it does work out and Cantu finds himself again due to a change of scenery, it will be another brilliant move.

LOL @ Medlock being a stiff.

Chi-Town Red
07-29-2007, 02:00 PM
people comparing this trade to Phillips is laughable...Cantu will never be the player Phillips is...

Doro
07-29-2007, 04:41 PM
people comparing this trade to Phillips is laughable...Cantu will never be the player Phillips is...

until last year Phillips never had a season like Cantu had

This isnt a huge deal so dont disect it as one. Its a gamble with a huge upside and not a huge if any downside. Medlock is alright and could have maybe helped us out.... but hes not going to be an impact player. Cantu has been an impact player and at the age of 25 no reason to believe he cant get back to that.

Cant Touch This
07-29-2007, 08:16 PM

You could be right. But you could also be eating crow. While I have my doubts, I'm pulling for the latter.

Fil3232
07-29-2007, 08:28 PM
Like others have said, Medlock was no stiff (Reds 2005 Minor League Pitcher of the Year) and probably could have been a cheap, effective bullpen piece for the next 3-4 years.

Cantu is a living, breathing out machine who cannot field any position particularly well. It's not a major trade to be sure, but knowing Wayne's penchant for overspending on bullpen guys (The trade, Stanton, Cormier) I would have just as soon not made the deal.