PDA

View Full Version : Astros Make a Trade

Patrick Bateman
07-28-2007, 07:25 PM
From Rotoworld:

Devil Rays acquired RHP Dan Wheeler from the Astros for infielder Ty Wigginton.

It's not the direction we expected the Rays to go, but this is a nice trade for Tampa Bay, even if Wheeler, who rejoins the team he came up with, is under control for one fewer year (through 2008, versus through 2009). As much as Wheeler as struggling recently, he was, up until a couple of months ago, one of the NL's better relievers for a 2 1/2-year span. He should be a big upgrade in the eighth inning as soon as he turns it around, and he gives the team protection in case it gets a very good offer for Al Reyes.

I must say, even though the Astros are in as bad of shape as us, it's always nice to see them make bad trades. Give up a very solid set-up man for a utility player.

Wheeler has 2 fantastic years, and then a mostly unlucky 50 innings, and you have a guy who is likely to turn things around. Solid move by the Rays.

BoydsOfSummer
07-28-2007, 07:26 PM
In a rather bizarre move, the Houston Astros sent reliever Dan Wheeler to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for infielder Ty Wigginton. I realize that Morgan Ensberg is not exactly tearing things up, but the Astros also have Mike Lamb. Where do all these guys fit in?

One has to think that the Astros are on the verge of moving Mark Loretta.

Baseball Digest Daily, 124 Bishop Lane, Holbrook, NY 11741, USA

RedLegSuperStar
07-28-2007, 07:33 PM
WOW.. Ty Wiggington netted Dan Wheeler?

I see D-Rays bolstering that bullpen.. give it up to them.. good deal by Rays Brass!

Aronchis
07-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Purpura and Krivsky seem to made of a similiar fabric.

NJReds
07-28-2007, 07:39 PM
WOW.. Ty Wiggington netted Dan Wheeler?

I see D-Rays bolstering that bullpen.. give it up to them.. good deal by Rays Brass!

It was reported that the Yankees turned down a Proctor for Wiggy deal. You could argue that the Rays ended up getting a better deal in the end.

Patrick Bateman
07-28-2007, 07:42 PM
It was reported that the Yankees turned down a Proctor for Wiggy deal. You could argue that the Rays ended up getting a better deal in the end.

I don't think there's any question. Proctor has been one of the league's worst relievers. There is nothing in his number that would suggest he's been particularly unfortunate either. He's a guy with 1 decent year under his belt, while Wheeler had 2 fantastic seasons, plus another decent one.

I'm surprised the Rays were willing to go with Proctor before Wheeler.

Dan
07-28-2007, 08:41 PM
From Rotoworld:

I must say, even though the Astros are in as bad of shape as us, it's always nice to see them make bad trades. Give up a very solid set-up man for a utility player.

Wheeler has 2 fantastic years, and then a mostly unlucky 50 innings, and you have a guy who is likely to turn things around. Solid move by the Rays.

Unlucky? I doubt they move him unless he's damaged goods. How's his velocity?

OldXOhio
07-28-2007, 10:03 PM
I realize that Morgan Ensberg is not exactly tearing things up, but the Astros also have Mike Lamb. Where do all these guys fit in?

I believe Lamb is a FA after this year.

Patrick Bateman
07-28-2007, 10:31 PM
Unlucky?

Basically his BAPIP, HR/FB, and LOB% are a little out of whack. The BAPIP and HR/FB are uncontrollable. They are bad, and that's due to poor luck.

The LOB% is controllable to a degree, but can be influenced by outside factors. Considering his numbers are in line with norms, there is no reason for his LOB% to be crappy. It's due to luck again.

K/9 BB/9 K/BB HR/9 AVG WHIP BABIP LOB% FIP GB/FB HR/FB

2005 8.47 2.33 3.63 0.86 .204 0.98 .250 87.4 % 3.46 0.84 8.4 %
2006 8.58 3.03 2.83 0.63 .224 1.15 .285 80.5 % 3.30 0.84 5.8 %
2007 10.15 2.36 4.31 1.45 .247 1.19 .311 66.3 % 3.94 0.72 12.3 %

Career: .309 75.9 % 9.6 %

Consdering Wheeler's K's are increasing, and walks are decreasing makes it hard for me to believe that his arm is shot. To me, Wheeler has been every bit the same pitcher as years past. The only difference is that luck has turned against him. Given average luck, I fully expect Wheeler to be a very reliable reliever. I would take him over any relief pitcher on our team. And all it took was Ty Wiggington.

Wheeler's 'decline' is more due to going from being an extremely lucky pitcher, to an extremely unlucky pitcher. The fact remains, he's really somewhere in between. He's not a 5.00 ERA pitcher, and he's not a 2.00 ERA pitcher. He's really more of a mid to high 3.00's. That makes him a very good set-up man.

Tom Servo
07-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Stros just designated Morgan Ensberg for assignment. Quite the downfall for him.

sonny
07-29-2007, 01:03 PM
From the Astros website:

HOUSTON -- The Houston Astros designated Morgan Ensberg for assignment on Sunday morning, meaning the team has 10 days to trade, release or send the third baseman to the Minor Leagues.

"As we just told Morgan, it's not our intention to send him to the Minor Leagues at this stage," Astros general manager Tim Purpura said. "It's not an option I think for him or us. So we'll try to see if we can make a trade for him and give him another opportunity elsewhere."

Ensberg, a ninth-round draft choice in 1998, had spent his entire career in the Houston organization.

"These are tough ones, a guy comes through your organization, played in the World Series for you, been a big part of your club for a long time, but we feel like this is a move that's going to make our club better and obviously with the acquisition of [Ty] Wigginton, Morgan becomes the odd man out," Purpura said.

Houston acquired Wigginton from Tampa Bay on Saturday for right-handed reliever Dan Wheeler. The Astros summoned Mark McLemore on Sunday to take Wheeler's spot in the bullpen.

Wigginton, who will wear No. 21, was in the lineup batting fifth for Sunday's game against San Diego.

Patrick Bateman
07-29-2007, 01:11 PM
Ensberg has really struggled since the midpoint of last season, but he would be a worthwhile gamble for some team.

Unfortunately, he is making 4.35M this season and will be expensive next year too. So he's really not a gamble I'd want to take. At worst though he would make a really nice platoon player for somebody. That's just not a luxury the Reds can afford.

Cedric
07-29-2007, 01:15 PM
I'd take the gamble. He's one of the most fickle hitters in the game. If a team shows confidence in him I think he's gonna take off again.

SteelSD
07-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Ensberg has really struggled since the midpoint of last season, but he would be a worthwhile gamble for some team.

Unfortunately, he is making 4.35M this season and will be expensive next year too. So he's really not a gamble I'd want to take. At worst though he would make a really nice platoon player for somebody. That's just not a luxury the Reds can afford.

That's my take too. At minimum, Ensberg is a potentially explosive RH platoon option. The upside is Troy Glaus-level performance. But that price is too high unless he's the latter.

It's sure a weird situation though to trade Dan Wheeler in order to get a lower-IsoD player to platoon with Mike Lamb when Ensberg was showing signs of rebounding from a rough start (.820 July OPS) after recent seasons of solid performance. If the Astros are unable to trade him, they're going to eat some salary there for potentially no reason considering that there's still a good chance of Ensberg and Wheeler adding more value to the club than a Ty Wigginton.

Although I don't see Ensberg as a real option for the Reds right now, I have a feeling that he'll help out wherever he ends up landing.

camisadelgolf
07-29-2007, 02:13 PM
I'd rather have Ensberg over Cantu. Last year was a "disappointing" year in which Ensberg's OBP was .396 despite hitting .235 (with 23 HR in 127 games).

RedLegSuperStar
07-29-2007, 02:16 PM
I'd rather have Ensberg over Cantu. Last year was a "disappointing" year in which Ensberg's OBP was .396 despite hitting .235 (with 23 HR in 127 games).

Ensberg is 31.. I would much rather have Cantu.

Patrick Bateman
07-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Again, the problem with Ensberg is not his age or anything like that, it's more because he's going to be owed 4.35M this season, and probably close to 5M next season.

Ensberg has struggled this season, and the latter half of '06. The odds are Ensberg is a very good platoon player against lefties with the chance he can regain his abilities from years passed, he can be one of the best offensive 3rd basemen in baseball.

Considering the Reds needs to be playing EE at 3rd, I'm not crazy about the idea of paying a guy 4-5M next season to be mainly a platoon player at 1st. If he could get back to his peak he's well worth the price and I'll find somewhere to play him, but at this point his price tag is too high IMO for a player that will likely be used in a platoon role.

He's a far better player than Cantu, but the reason Cantu is here, and Ensberg won't be, is the price tag. It's as simple as that.

mth123
07-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Philly could use him.

He's actually what the Reds need. Good OBP, RH Hitter with Pop. Decent defender. If there is any truth to the EdE for pitching rumors, the Reds should pony up for Ensberg IMO.

cincinnati chili
07-29-2007, 03:31 PM
I too understand that Ensberg's salary represents a lot of money to throw at a "maybe" kinda guy. Nonetheless, I'd take the risk.

Circumstantial evidence suggests that the Astros organization has messed with this guy's head. He thrived under Gary Gaetti as batting coach, and really has taken a dive since the Club fired him and allowed Phil Garner to dictate a more aggressive hitting approach.

See this article from July 2006 (http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060712&content_id=1554762&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou)

The Astros organization constantly jerked with the guy, sending him to the minors his rookie year prematurely, reducing his playing time last year prematurely, and (Gaetti excepted) failing to recognize his value has a third basemen who - AT WORST - can play decent defense and get on base and - AT BEST - can OPS above .900.

Ideally, you'd like to have ballplayers who can figure it all out themselves and not be so vulnerable to their organization's lack of outward confidence. But when a guy has this much offensive potential at an offensively scarce position, you need to find a way to get the best out of him.

For what it's worth, "Ensberg is hitting .319 (15-for-47) in July with three doubles, a home run and 10 RBI. He credits a new pitching machine that throws tennis balls up to 140 mph for the turnaround," according to rotowire.

This may all be academic, as it's possible that the Astros will refuse to trade him within the division. But if he can be had for a song, sing the damn song and pick him up.

buckeyenut
07-29-2007, 03:33 PM
I'd be whispering in his agent's ear that I would love for him to be in cinci rather than AAA. I don't know that I would deal for him unless the stros paid most of the $$.

He could easily get time at 1B and 3B in Cinci, especially if we deal Conine and Hatteberg. Ensberg is a very good player who has never gotten a fair shake in HOU.

buckeyenut
07-29-2007, 03:34 PM
I also would have no problem trading for him to slot at 3B every day and moving EE (who I like very much) to MIN for Garza, etc.

IslandRed
07-29-2007, 07:32 PM
Here's one thing to consider -- having been DFA'ed, the Astros are on the hook right now for the remainder of his contract. If he passes through waivers, someone could pick him up and pay him the minimum, with the Astros being responsible for the rest. That's a powerful incentive for Houston to be reasonable when negotiating a trade and pick up a chunk of the money in exchange for getting something beyond a sack of baseballs in return.

Doc. Scott
07-30-2007, 04:02 PM
Here's one thing to consider -- having been DFA'ed, the Astros are on the hook right now for the remainder of his contract. If he passes through waivers, someone could pick him up and pay him the minimum, with the Astros being responsible for the rest. That's a powerful incentive for Houston to be reasonable when negotiating a trade and pick up a chunk of the money in exchange for getting something beyond a sack of baseballs in return.

...and teams with the worst records have the first waiver shots.

Chip R
07-30-2007, 04:26 PM
Problem with Ensberg is he wouldn't get to face Reds pitching any more if the Reds picked him up.