PDA

View Full Version : Ensberg DFA'd

Jpup
07-29-2007, 04:32 PM
per ESPN transactions page. I hope the Reds pick him up. How far he has fallen.

alexad
07-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Why do we need him?

Jpup
07-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Why do we need him?

He can play 1st or 3rd and can kill the ball when healthy and given the opportunity. Houston, for some reason, has limited his playing time for way too long.

Tom Servo
07-29-2007, 04:48 PM
I'd love to pick up Ensberg but the Cantu acquistion from yesterday makes it highly unlikely.

TOBTTReds
07-29-2007, 04:52 PM
I would take him. The guy can get on base. Has some pop. This year has been a down year. Last year he hit .235 with obp of .396. That's impressive. 101 walks with only 387 AB's. Did K a lot, but still walked more. Also had 23 HR's in that time.

blumj
07-29-2007, 04:53 PM
Has he ever played 1B? I'd imagine he could given some time to learn, but I don't know that he has. I would also think that it will take something of actual value to land him, unlike the typical DFA, as there's bound to be some competition.

Jpup
07-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Has he ever played 1B? I'd imagine he could given some time to learn, but I don't know that he has. I would also think that it will take something of actual value to land him, unlike the typical DFA, as there's bound to be some competition.

I'm also sure that someone will try to trade for him in the next 10 days. All things being equal, I can't see Houston sending him to Cincinnati.

Caveat Emperor
07-29-2007, 05:53 PM
I would take him. The guy can get on base. Has some pop. This year has been a down year. Last year he hit .235 with obp of .396. That's impressive. 101 walks with only 387 AB's. Did K a lot, but still walked more. Also had 23 HR's in that time.

He strikes me as the kind of guy who might enjoy playing 81 home dates per year at GABP.

If he could be had for nothing, I'd be tempted to say "why not," but I find that I seem to be saying that more and more these days.

TOBTTReds
07-29-2007, 06:03 PM
If he could be had for nothing, I'd be tempted to say "why not," but I find that I seem to be saying that more and more these days.

I don't think that is a bad approach for anyone with any possible upside. Unless they have a major issue (such as Milton Bradly I would never take), then alway take them if they near free (in baseball terms of course).

Mario-Rijo
07-29-2007, 06:17 PM
I haven't looked at any defensive #'s but I always thought he was a solid defender as well. I guess will see, if no one deals for him he could become a Red as I believe the Reds were rumored to have asked about his availability earlier in the season. Guys have a tendency to stay within their division if at all possible.

MartyFan
07-29-2007, 06:41 PM
I'd love to pick up Ensberg but the Cantu acquistion from yesterday makes it highly unlikely.

Why?

Remember when the Reds picked up Phillips? The team was stacked with middle infielders.

I'd say if he fits the profile of what special K wants to add to the team so he can make other moves then he will go get him.

KronoRed
07-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Get him if he's dirt cheap, unlike Cantu he can play defense in the IF

Always Red
07-29-2007, 09:10 PM

Cantu was so...yesterday. ;)

What I like about Ensberg is his OBP. The guy has very good plate discipline, and can back up 3B (if they keep EE, and he blossoms, as I hope they do, and I hope he does) and be the 1B platoon with Votto, if he needs to be platooned.

Even when he was hitting .230, he was getting on base 37-38% of the time. There's something to be said for that, and RH pop off the bench.

This is the Rich Aurilia replacement, IMO.

His contract is certainly an issue, and he's making more than they wanted to pay Rich. But unlike the Cantu trade, this is an acquisition that will improve this team, IMO.

I think it's all a matter of if they want to take on his contract.

RedlegJake
07-30-2007, 10:31 PM
Contract is the whole issue and probably why Houston DFA'd the guy. Do we want to pay almost $5 million for a backup infielder? Of course, he'd be a heckuva an upgrade over Castro/Moeller/Lopez - he fields way better than Cantu and his bat is better and he has plate discipline. Personally I say yes- he'd make a great bench player and if EE went down he could play everyday without a dramatic dropoff. With Kepp backing up AGonz at SS, BP at 2nd and Votto at first with Cantu backing him up, the bench looks much stronger. In fact that's a pretty darn good looking infield.

Blitz Dorsey
07-30-2007, 11:37 PM
I would love this. Ensberg would be a very solid pickup. Yes, he has actually played 1B and I agree that he is at least a solid defensive 3B. Plus, if he gets his confidence back (or his HGH hookup, whatever it might be the case) he is a legit 30 HR guy. I think the Reds need a guy like this for next year: A right-handed power hitter who can play 3B (an all-right handed platoon with EE) and 1B (a platoon with Votto). Plus he would come on the cheap and we could use the little money we will have on pitching. Not to mention we wouldn't have to give up anything for him. Get on this Krivsky!

bucksfan2
07-31-2007, 09:28 AM
I would love this. Ensberg would be a very solid pickup. Yes, he has actually played 1B and I agree that he is at least a solid defensive 3B. Plus, if he gets his confidence back (or his HGH hookup, whatever it might be the case) he is a legit 30 HR guy. I think the Reds need a guy like this for next year: A right-handed power hitter who can play 3B (an all-right handed platoon with EE) and 1B (a platoon with Votto). Plus he would come on the cheap and we could use the little money we will have on pitching. Not to mention we wouldn't have to give up anything for him. Get on this Krivsky!

And where exactly would Ensberg play? Does this team need another low average power hitter? He hasn't been the player most projected for about 3 years now. I pass.

Dan
07-31-2007, 09:43 AM
How about instead of picking up other teams' discards, the Reds set their standards a bit higher? Focus on what a player can do in the future, not what he's done in the past.

dfs
07-31-2007, 10:21 AM
Actually, if he's willing to take on a platoon/utility role, he would be a spectacularly good fit for this organization. He can club lefties to a 935 OPS.

The down side is he's never played anywhere but third. It's possible he can't play in the of.

Still, if he's willing to give the aurilia job a try, this team could use him.

BRM
07-31-2007, 10:23 AM
Per Rosenthal.

The Twins are showing minimal interest in Astros third baseman Morgan Ensberg, who was designated for assignment Sunday. They do, however, like Rockies Class AAA infielder Clint Barmes, as do the Tigers.

deltachi8
07-31-2007, 10:28 AM
I think he will end up in Minnesota by week's end.

I would like him as a Red though. Solid OB skils and the team is in need of a decent bat off the bench.

nate
07-31-2007, 04:12 PM
ESPN reporting that the Padres are going to pick Ensberg up.

jmcclain19
07-31-2007, 05:59 PM
ESPN reporting that the Padres are going to pick Ensberg up.

Tthe Padres have picked up Milton Bradley, Michael Barrett & Morgan Ensberg this year for practically nothing. Impressive.