PDA

View Full Version : Teixeira for Saltalamacchia a done deal [Rosenthal]

Joseph
07-30-2007, 11:28 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7074846

The first shoe to drop in a nice couple days of dealing, or the only deal that gets done of consequence?

Ltlabner
07-30-2007, 11:29 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7074846

The first shoe to drop in a nice couple days of dealing, or the only deal that gets done of consequence?

Dang...would have loved to get Salty behind home plate in a Reds uni.

flyer85
07-30-2007, 11:32 AM
On the surface it seems like an excellent return for the Rangers.

The caveat is the Scheurholz and the Braves have always seemed to be the best at evaluating their own talent and knowing who they should keep and who they should trade.

RedLegSuperStar
07-30-2007, 11:34 AM
The Braves will receive Mark Teixeira and lefty reliever Ron Mahay, while the Rangers will get Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Elvis Andrus, and two pitching prospects.

Joseph
07-30-2007, 11:35 AM
On the surface it seems like an excellent return for the Rangers.

The caveat is the Scheurholz and the Braves have always seemed to be the best at evaluating their own talent and knowing who they should keep and who they should trade.

You wonder if other GMs look at it like that too. Do they think...'Hmmm JS is willing to trade him, so he must not be as good as advertised."

flyer85
07-30-2007, 11:36 AM
You wonder if other GMs look at it like that too. Do they think...'Hmmm JS is willing to trade him, so he must not be as good as advertised."One would think it better at least cross their mind.

RedLegSuperStar
07-30-2007, 11:36 AM
Think Wayne could get a better offer from either LA team now for Dunn?

M2
07-30-2007, 11:37 AM
I could see where both clubs could wind up majorly unhappy with this deal.

RedLegSuperStar
07-30-2007, 11:41 AM
It was the best fit for both teams I think.. Teixeira went to college at Georgia Tech and the Braves clearly had the best offer considering the Angels were reluctant to deal their top prospects.

lollipopcurve
07-30-2007, 11:43 AM
If Tex re-ups in Atlanta this is a great trade for the Braves.

flyer85
07-30-2007, 11:45 AM
If Tex re-ups in Atlanta this is a great trade for the Braves.Boras has made it clear that it will take $20M+ a year to start talking. I can't see the Braves in it for that.

Puffy
07-30-2007, 11:54 AM

No way - there is no way Texas can be unhappy with this deal. They got a dude named Elvis. Thats top-notch right there!

KoryMac5
07-30-2007, 11:57 AM
The Braves will have to deal with Boras for Jones this year and Texiara next year talk about some rough negotiations.

BRM
07-30-2007, 12:00 PM
The Braves will have to deal with Boras for Jones this year and Texiara next year talk about some rough negotiations.

I think they will only try to keep one of two. Most likely Tex.

JaxRed
07-30-2007, 12:00 PM
Very nice trade for Texas....

RedsManRick
07-30-2007, 12:02 PM
This is a good deal for everybody involved. Salty looks to be a fine player, but his value is immensely greater as a superb catcher rather than a good 1B. The Braves meanwhile were able to add one of the best 10-15 offensive players in the game. Tex is also a very good defensive 1B.

Unless the Braves prospects all pan out big time, I think this was smart for all.

NJReds
07-30-2007, 12:13 PM

Well, I suppose Salty could bomb. But there was no way Texas was going to give Tex $25-$30M per, as Boras has stated that he's going to ask.

I think Texiera will end up signing with Baltimore, anyway.

BRM
07-30-2007, 12:18 PM
Rosenthal has updated the article.

One of the prospects is believed to be Class AA left-hander Matt Harrison.

The Rangers had been split on whether they wanted Harrison, in part because he recently experienced shoulder trouble.

However, Harrison underwent an MRI that revealed no damage, and the Rangers evidently are willing to take him despite their concerns.

flyer85
07-30-2007, 12:19 PM
The Braves are trying to win now ... if Tex is healthy and hits it should be able to put the Braves over the top in the NL East. The Mets pitching is hanging by a thread and Beltran is headed to the DL in and already depleted OF.

dougdirt
07-30-2007, 12:19 PM
Well if the MRI showed no damage to the shoulder, then give him some rest and go from there.

fearofpopvol1
07-30-2007, 12:20 PM
Well, at least this will cease the Arroyo for Salty rumors.

RedLegSuperStar
07-30-2007, 12:20 PM
The Braves are trying to win now ... if Tex is healthy and hits it should be able to put the Braves over the top in the NL East. The Mets pitching is hanging by a thread and Beltran is headed to the DL in and already depleted OF.

Maybe this might mean the Mets might pursue Joe Blanton and we could finally see Lasting Milledge dealt.

deltachi8
07-30-2007, 12:22 PM
It will be interesting to see how (if) the Mets respond.

Caveat Emperor
07-30-2007, 12:23 PM

Yeah -- I could see both clubs eventually wishing they'd managed to bring some kind of top-quality arm back in return. As pitching-starved as Texas has been over the years, I think its borderline criminal for the Rangers not to have moved Tex for a ML ready prospect of some sort.

flyer85
07-30-2007, 12:24 PM
Maybe this might mean the Mets might pursue Joe Blanton and we could finally see Lasting Milledge dealt.
they have no OFs at the moment with Alou, Chavez and Beltran out. They cannot afford to deal Milledge, instead they will probably try to acquire an OF.

redsmetz
07-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Is this perhaps the most difficult to pronounce trade in ML history?

flyer85
07-30-2007, 12:26 PM
In the current market is seems to not be a bad return for Tex. It certainly seems to be a HR for the Braves because they had to do something about 1B.

Now the order has Renteria, C Jones, Tex, A Jones, McCann, Francouer. That is some lineup.

IslandRed
07-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Saltalamacchia was certainly a big-name prospect, and since all we've been hearing is how those guys aren't available, maybe it will loosen up some of the other GMs. That could help us.

KronoRed
07-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Is this perhaps the most difficult to pronounce trade in ML history?

Salt and Tex ;)

I don't see either Jones or Teixeira being Braves next year, risky trade for them.

flyer85
07-30-2007, 12:34 PM
Salt and Tex ;)

I don't see either Jones or Teixeira being Braves next year, risky trade for them.I think Tex will still be there, he won't be an FA until after the 2008 season.

Dom Heffner
07-30-2007, 12:41 PM
I think Tex wants to go to Baltimore, and the Braves couldn't care less, probably.

It's do or die for Atlanta this year. Their's is a team about to lose Andruw Jones to FA and Chipper is always a day away from the DL. Smoltz is getting up there- this team is due for a decline, so for me, you go after the big gun while you can put it to good use.

My fear of Teixeira for them is that he really hasn't been that good outside of Texas, has he?

The NL has its share of sandboxes, but Teixeira's value is in Arlington- I think the Rangers did a good job of exploiting that in the return they got for him.

BRM
07-30-2007, 12:52 PM
UPDATE: ESPN adds that one of the pitching prospects is Neftali Feliz.

Falls City Beer
07-30-2007, 12:53 PM
That's what Texas does well, right?

Trade steak (Teix) for sizzle (Salty)?

My guess is that Salty looks a lot more like Mench with the stick than he does the guy who just left town.

Falls City Beer
07-30-2007, 12:54 PM
Well, at least this will cease the Arroyo for Salty rumors.

Thank god.

BRM
07-30-2007, 12:54 PM
What's the thought on the two pitching prospects, Harrison and Feliz? Were they ranked high in the organization?

RedLegSuperStar
07-30-2007, 12:58 PM
What's the thought on the two pitching prospects, Harrison and Feliz? Were they ranked high in the organization?

I know Harrison ranks real high.

Baseball Prospectus -

Very Good Prospects
1. Jarrod Saltalamacchia, C
2. Matt Harrison, LHP
Good Prospects
3. Neftali Feliz, RHP
4. Eric Campbell, 3B/2B
5. Elvis Andrus, SS
Average Prospects
6. Brandon Jones, OF
7. Joey Devine, RHP
8. Jeff Locke, LHP
9. Chase Fontaine, SS... maybe
10. Anthony Lerew, RHP

Falls City Beer
07-30-2007, 12:59 PM
I know Harrison ranks real high.

As high as Bong?:p:

Red Leader
07-30-2007, 01:00 PM
The prospects the Rangers got back in return (Salty, Andrus and Harrison) were the Braves Top 3 prospects going into 2007. Neftali Feliz was not in the Braves Top 10 prospects but was listed as having the best fastball in their system, according to BA.

RedLegSuperStar
07-30-2007, 01:02 PM
As high as Bong?:p:

Hahah.. no pun intended! :beerme:

M2
07-30-2007, 01:03 PM
It will be interesting to see how (if) the Mets respond.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

flyer85
07-30-2007, 01:08 PM
As high as Bong?:p:or Bubba

Patrick Bateman
07-30-2007, 01:09 PM
I'm a big fan of Salty's so I think that's a good centerpiece to a deal. Catchers who can hit are rare commodities, and I think given time Salty wll be an asset to that team. He has nice on base skills and developing power.

The other prospects are a mixed lot, but they all have a chance. If the other guy is indeed Harrison then I think this is a very nice return for the Rangers. Considering how bad they are, I think rebuilding is the right option. Giving Texeira upwards of 20M is not a great idea IMO. Salty will help them a lot, and considering they got perhaps 3 other nice looking prospects, they will probably find another keeper amongst them.

Stormy
07-30-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm a big fan of Salty's so I think that's a good centerpiece to a deal. Catchers who can hit are rare commodities, and I think given time Salty wll be an asset to that team. He has nice on base skills and developing power.

The other prospects are a mixed lot, but they all have a chance. If the other guy is indeed Harrison then I think this is a very nice return for the Rangers. Considering how bad they are, I think rebuilding is the right option. Giving Texeira upwards of 20M is not a great idea IMO. Salty will help them a lot, and considering they got perhaps 3 other nice looking prospects, they will probably find another keeper amongst them.

Nice analysis, and my initial reaction is that it's a very nice package for Tex, as well. When your options are to sign a Boras client for $20M+, or watch him walk in the next year, it's pretty nice if you can leverage a 900OPS 1B into a great looking young catcher, a pair of potentially quality young arms, and the Braves top MI prospect. That's a great haul given the lack of leverage the Rangers had.

Given the tightness of the race in the NL West, and the shot that the Braves just fired across the bow of the injury plagued Mets, it's hard to imagine that there is not a somewhat similar market out there for a guy like Adam Dunn at the moment. If not, what a difference @30 points of .BA must make within the baseball world, because otherwise their OBP, SLG%, BB rates, and overall production are very similar during the past 3 years (normally a little extra SLG power in Dunn's bat, and a little extra EBH driven .BA in Tex's, and at nearly identical ages).

Here's hoping for a great return IF Dunn must be traded, and for an extension for Dunn if we're only offered scraps like the alleged Nats deal.

lollipopcurve
07-30-2007, 01:35 PM
If not, what a difference @30 points of .BA must make within the baseball world, because otherwise their OBP, SLG%, BB rates, and overall production are very similar during the past 3 years (normally a little extra SLG power in Dunn's bat, and a little extra EBH driven .BA in Tex's, and at nearly identical ages).

Under current contracts, teams control Tex for all of 08, while Dunn is theirs for only 2 more months. In addition, if we're talking NL, Dunn is a below-average defender, while Tex is reputed to be a good first baseman. Overall, I'd say Tex's value is quite a bit higher than Dunn's.

M2
07-30-2007, 02:05 PM
In addition, if we're talking NL, Dunn is a below-average defender, while Tex is reputed to be a good first baseman.

Given WHO plays LF in the NL, I'd say Dunn's average and possibly slightly above average (the AL actually has a far better class of defenders in LF these days), though Teixeira plays a quality 1B so that is a mark in his favor.

As for the contract stuff, I imagine Dunn could have been wooed into an extension (probably a moot point seeing that the trade deadline is upon us and there won't be time to make an extension part of the deal) while Teixeira will almost certainly seek free agency.

Stormy
07-30-2007, 02:09 PM
Under current contracts, teams control Tex for all of 08, while Dunn is theirs for only 2 more months. In addition, if we're talking NL, Dunn is a below-average defender, while Tex is reputed to be a good first baseman. Overall, I'd say Tex's value is quite a bit higher than Dunn's.

I mentioned the difference in Teixeira's contract status in the other thread, so I should have included it here as well. However, a trade for either Tex or Dunn is obviously a move to try to put a team over the top right *now*, and then a major investment for the future if a franchise wants to lock them up long-term. However, aside from control in 2008, there shouldn't be a huge disparity in their respective values. Defensively, Dunn should get some points for having the versatility to play LF, in addition to a future slotting at 1B. No, Dunn should not be able to net as much of a return as Tex, but now that he's the next best thing on the market amidst some teams that *should* be desperate for help (whether they are or not), and as he's of similar age, production, and circumstance to Tex, he should net a very solid return.

Jpup
07-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Dunn should get a similar return or not be dealt. I really like the deal for both clubs right now, but I think it could look really bad on Atlanta if Texeira decides to walk after 08, but I guess they would get some picks for him. I would stay far away from Braves pitching because if they were that good, they would have been in the Majors.

I could see the Mets looking at any of Arroyo, Jr., Dunn, Lohse, Freel, and Weathers. Philly would probably give up the farm for Arroyo right now as well.

flyer85
07-30-2007, 02:18 PM
For me it seems so easy for the Cubs to acquire Dunn. They can't seem to get away from the washed up Jones and Floyd. They could trade for Dunn, bring up Pie and put him in CF.

Offer the Reds Soto, Marmol and Guzman and I am sure the Reds would bite.

The fact that the Cubs just won't bring up Pie and leave him in CF shows that they are likely to screw up what should easily be a sure division winner.

jojo
07-30-2007, 02:18 PM
You wonder if other GMs look at it like that too. Do they think...'Hmmm JS is willing to trade him, so he must not be as good as advertised."

I think that alot of the league looks at JS as a great prospect provided he'll end up as a catcher but they aren't necesarily thinking it's a sure thing he will.

If the Rangers have decided they won't be able to get an extension done for Teixiera than from their standpoint, the haul form the Braves makes alot of sense.

Jpup
07-30-2007, 02:20 PM
For me it seems so easy for the Cubs to acquire Dunn. They can't seem to get away from the washed up Jones and Floyd. They could trade for Dunn, bring up Pie and put him in CF.

The fact that the Cubs just won't bring up Pie and leave him in CF shows that they are likely to screw up what should easily be a sure division winner.

stop please. if the Reds trade Dunn to the Cubs...

flyer85
07-30-2007, 02:20 PM
I think that alot of the league looks at JS as a great prospect provided he'll end up as a catcher but they aren't necesarily thinking it's a sure thing he will.

If the Rangers have decided they won't be able to get an extension done for Teixiera than from their standpoint, the haul form the Braves makes alot of sense.The Rangers still have Laird and also have Teagarden. I would not be surprised to see Salty end up at 1b.

WVRedsFan
07-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Boras has made it clear that it will take $20M+ a year to start talking. I can't see the Braves in it for that.
I was just about to say the same thing. Ted Turner doesn't won the club anymore and I can't see teh present owners spending that kind of money on Tex. Weren't they trying to unload Jones last year to cut payroll?

BRM
07-30-2007, 02:29 PM

Soriano goes to right then? That would leave Murton as the 4th outfielder assuming they unload Jones, Floyd, or both.

flyer85
07-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Soriano goes to right then? That would leave Murton as the 4th outfielder assuming they unload Jones, Floyd, or both.What to do with Jones/Floyd is the easy stuff to figure out.

The Cubs have a chance to win the pennant if they can come up with the LH bat to put in the middle of the lineup with Lee and Ramiriez. They have the starting pitching and bullpen, they just need to upgrade the offense with a LHB.

Jpup
07-30-2007, 02:36 PM
What to do with Jones/Floyd is the easy stuff to figure out.

The Cubs have a chance to win the pennant if they can come up with the LH bat to put in the middle of the lineup with Lee and Ramiriez. They have the starting pitching and bullpen, they just need to upgrade the offense with a LHB.

Ken Griffey Jr.;)

red-in-la
07-30-2007, 02:38 PM
No way - there is no way Texas can be unhappy with this deal. They got a dude named Elvis. Thats top-notch right there!

Memphis is in Tennessee isn't it?

A, thank you very much....uh huh....

:D

15fan
07-30-2007, 02:41 PM
If Andruw Jones leaves as a FA after this season, and Teixeira leaves after 2008, that gives the Braves a lot of picks in the first couple of rounds of the next 2 drafts.

That certainly gives Schuerholz the leverage to go out and either sign a big name FA or deal from his depth in the minors to fill a hole at the ML level.

flyer85
07-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Ken Griffey Jr.;)I honestly don't think WK has ever really considered trading Jr, the organization has invested quite a bit in the countdown to 600.

I am guessing a lot of RF seats have been and will be sold in a meaningless September.

Jpup
07-30-2007, 03:07 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2954457

The Atlanta Braves appear to be the winner for the right to acquire first baseman Mark Teixeira from the Texas Rangers.

A preliminary agreement has been reached between the teams for Atlanta to receive Teixeira and left-handed reliever Ron Mahay from Texas for catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia, minor league shortstop Elvis Andrus and two minor league pitchers.

Baseball America rates Saltalamacchia and Andrus as the Braves' top two prospects in their organization.

The Fort-Worth Star Telegram, citing a Rangers source, is reporting that the two pitchers Texas will receive are 19-year-old right-hander Nestali Feliz and another pitcher to be determined.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that the other pitcher involved in the trade is left-handed pitching prospect Matt Harrison, ranked by Baseball America as the third-best prospect in the Braves' organization.

The deal will be finalized once players' medical records are reviewed. Major League Baseball's deadline to trade players without securing waivers is Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET.

Teixeira, a 27-year-old switch-hitting slugger, has won two Gold Gloves at first base. He is batting .297 this season with 13 home runs and 49 RBIs. Since breaking into the majors with Texas in 2003, Teixeira has had seasons of 26, 38, 43 and 33 home runs.

Only Ralph Kiner, Albert Pujols and Eddie Mathews hit more than the 140 homers that Teixeira had in his first four major league seasons. He had at least 33 homers and 110 RBIs in each of the past three.

Third-place Atlanta trails the New York Mets by 4 games in the NL East and is in the thick of the wild-card race. The Mets ended the Braves' streak of 14 straight division titles last year.

Teixeira missed 27 games because of a strained left quadriceps muscle sustained running out a ground ball. The Rangers were 16-11 when he was out of the lineup after he played in a team record 507 consecutive games. He will be eligible for salary arbitration after making $9 million this season.

Among the teams that reportedly negotiated with the Rangers for Teixeira were the Los Angeles Dodgers, Los Angeles Angels and Boston Red Sox.

Teixeira would join an Atlanta lineup that includes Chipper Jones, Andruw Jones, Jeff Francoeur and All-Star Brian McCann, but he won't come cheaply. Teixeira is eligible for salary arbitration after this season and can become a free agent after the 2008 season. He is certainly familiar with the Atlanta area, having starred at Georgia Tech.

The Braves opened the season with Craig Wilson and Scott Thorman splitting time at first base. Wilson was released after hitting only .172. Thorman is hitting .220 with 10 homers and 34 RBIs.

Saltalamacchia, who like Teixeira is a switch-hitter with power, has spent time at first base this season as the Braves tried to find a way to utilize his bat. Saltalamacchia's path at catcher was blocked by McCann, who this year signed a six-year, $26.8 million deal.

Mahay, 36, is 2-0 with a 2.77 ERA and one save in 28 games this season.

BRM
07-30-2007, 03:12 PM
The Braves are reportedly close to acquiring Dotel as well. They are going "all in".

sonny
07-30-2007, 03:14 PM
The Braves are reportedly close to acquiring Dotel as well. They are going "all in".

And they still might make a move for a starter. They are really going to put a lot of pressure on the rest of the east. This could work out well for us.:thumbup:

WVRedsFan
07-30-2007, 03:15 PM
I honestly don't think WK has ever really considered trading Jr, the organization has invested quite a bit in the countdown to 600.

I am guessing a lot of RF seats have been and will be sold in a meaningless September.

Didn't Griffey say last week that Krivsky had assured him that he would not be traded?

IslandRed
07-30-2007, 03:46 PM
OK, who else's first reaction to this deal, seeing the Braves uncharacteristically trade off the top cut of their farm system, was "Schuerholz must be planning to retire soon?"

Falls City Beer
07-30-2007, 04:04 PM

Being great has a price.

MississippiRed
07-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Memphis is in Tennessee isn't it?

A, thank you very much....uh huh....

:D

Yes, it is, but Elvis is universal.

pedro
07-30-2007, 08:49 PM
3) This last consideration may not bother many, but Salty has an unusual family situation. Now 21, he married a teacher at his high school in West Palm Beach, Fla., who is now 37, according to records. His wife Ashley, who recently gave birth to their second child, insisted to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that their personal relationship didn't begin until the fall of 2004, when Salty was 18.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_heyman/07/30/scoop.monday/index.html