PDA

View Full Version : Braves close to getting Dotel too....

redsfan4445
07-30-2007, 03:33 PM
per mlbtraderumours.com
"Braves Close To Acquiring Octavio Dotel
Interesting development via Ken Rosenthal: the Braves are close to a deal for Royals' closer Octavio Dotel. They apparently have made a better offer than finalists Cleveland and Los Angeles.

Royals GM Dayton Moore knows his way around Atlanta's farm system, of course. He had all kinds of player development roles within the Braves organization. The Braves' top three prospects heading into the season per Baseball America were Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Elvis Andrus, and Matt Harrison. With those three out of the picture perhaps Moore is going for outfielder Brandon Jones or first baseman Scott Thorman.

Quite a day for Atlanta...now to snag a starter..."

wouldnt it be nice to9 see the Reds someday better themselves to WIN?? i hate the braves, but i wish we had their ownership

TOBTTReds
07-30-2007, 03:38 PM
wouldnt it be nice to9 see the Reds someday better themselves to WIN?? i hate the braves, but i wish we had their ownership

:rolleyes:

cincrazy
07-30-2007, 03:38 PM
I just called a friend of mine that's a Braves fan to congratulate him on his day, and also tried to convince him that trading for Kyle Lohse would be the perfect ending to a great day. Needless to say, he didn't agree :)

Johnny Footstool
07-30-2007, 05:11 PM
According to the KC Star, it's Dotel for Kyle Davies:

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/211348.html

Royals talking to Braves about trading Dotel for pitcher Kyle Davies
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

MINNEAPOLIS | The Royals appeared to ready to trade veteran closer Octavio Dotel to the Atlanta Braves on Monday afternoon for right-handed starter Kyle Davies.

Neither club has yet offered official confirmation, although several sources indicated a deal was tentatively in place.

“It’s inappropriate for me to comment on any deal that may or may not happen,” Royals general manager Dayton Moore said. “When and if there is a deal, we’ll make an announcement.”

The holdup appears to be on the Braves’ end and concerns their ability to work out final details on a trade earlier in the day in which they acquired first baseman Mark Teixeira and reliever Ron Mahay from the Rangers for catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia, shortstop Elvis Andrus and two pitching prospects.

The non-waiver trading deadline is 3 p.m. Tuesday. The Royals continue to discuss trade possibilities with other club in case talks break down with the Braves.

The Dodgers, Indians and Mariners have strongly pursued Dotel, who entered Monday’s series opener against the Twins at 2-1 with a 3.91 ERA and 11 saves in 14 opportunities since returning May 22 from the disabled list.

Davies, 23, has spent parts of the last three seasons in the Braves’ rotation but has yet to reach their projection of a front-line starter. He was demoted recently to Class AAA Richmond after going 4-8 with a 5.76 ERA in 17 starts.

Davies was the Braves’ fourth-round pick in 2001 as a 17-year-old and reached the majors in 2005. He is a combined 14-21 with a 6.15 ERA in 52 games, including 45 starts, in parts of three seasons.

Joseph
07-30-2007, 05:16 PM
Good take for a pitcher that was a one year rental. [right?]

RedsManRick
07-30-2007, 05:24 PM
If there's one thing the Braves have done pretty well, it's decided top move on from certain prospects once they feel like they've capped out, clearing room for the next round.

Yachtzee
07-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Don't ask, Dotel.

Johnny Footstool
07-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Good take for a pitcher that was a one year rental. [right?]

A one year rental who was signed on the cheap ($5 mil plus incentives). A guy who certain RedsZoners (one of whose names rhymes with "Schmonny Schmootstool") thought the Reds should have taken a chance on.

dougdirt
07-30-2007, 05:31 PM
A one year rental who was signed on the cheap ($5 mil plus incentives). A guy who certain RedsZoners (one of whose names rhymes with "Schmonny Schmootstool") thought the Reds should have taken a chance on.

Donnie Hootstool is a good guy. We should have probably listened to him.

Johnny Footstool
07-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Donnie Hootstool is a good guy. We should have probably listened to him.

Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut.

RedLegSuperStar
07-30-2007, 05:45 PM

I was right with you..

Falls City Beer
07-30-2007, 05:53 PM

I'm not sure that was necessary. Thing is, I agree completely with the poster you mocked.

TOBTTReds
07-30-2007, 06:00 PM
I'm not sure that was necessary. Thing is, I agree completely with the poster you mocked.

Sorry, I guess I find it hard to complain about ownership when Bob C. hasn't been here for even two years. People forget quickly how horid Carl was as an owner. It takes a while to turn around a franchise, and Braves ownership here wouldn't do too much for us, but maybe buy us some free agents.

It would be nice to make moves to win, but we have to get in a winning position first, and I think the franchise as a whole, is 500% better than it was 2 years ago.

Johnny Footstool
07-30-2007, 06:02 PM
I was right with you..

Add "SchmedSchmegSchmuperSchmar" to the list. :)

Tom Servo
07-30-2007, 06:13 PM
Props to you Johnny, I was against it. Having seen nearly all of Octavio's outings pitch with the Yankees in 06 I thought he was done. Netting Kyle Davies is a pretty good return for a one year signing.

In defense of my talent judging skills I monitored Jeremy Guthrie closely hoping the Reds would pick him up after the Indians DFA'ed him. Too bad we didn't. :dunno:

paulrichjr
07-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Sorry, I guess I find it hard to complain about ownership when Bob C. hasn't been here for even two years. People forget quickly how horid Carl was as an owner. It takes a while to turn around a franchise, and Braves ownership here wouldn't do too much for us, but maybe buy us some free agents.

It would be nice to make moves to win, but we have to get in a winning position first, and I think the franchise as a whole, is 500% better than it was 2 years ago.

So true. I liked Marge a LOT more than Carl... BobC is going to be a great owner. Just give him a little time.

MartyFan
07-30-2007, 06:38 PM

My thoughts exactly...

Johnny Footstool
07-31-2007, 11:27 AM
The KC Star quoting the Seattle paper:

The Seattle Post-Intelligencer also reported the Mariners have offered outfielder Wladimir Balentien for Dotel. The Dodgers and Indians also continue to express interest.

Yikes. Dotel is quite a commodity.

RedLegSuperStar
07-31-2007, 11:28 AM
Wladimir Balentien.. Wayne.. Earth to Wayne!

Johnny Footstool
07-31-2007, 11:30 AM
Wladimir Balentien.. Wayne.. Earth to Wayne!

Weathers is too valuable to part with.

RedLegSuperStar
07-31-2007, 11:35 AM

Evidently.. would hate to get a young power hitting outfielder who can hit for decent average and has some speed for a 37 year old closer..

Johnny Footstool
07-31-2007, 11:41 AM
Evidently.. would hate to get a young power hitting outfielder who can hit for decent average and has some speed for a 37 year old closer..

Not that Weathers could net Balentin, but you'd think he would garner a very good return.

RedLegSuperStar
07-31-2007, 11:48 AM
Not that Weathers could net Balentin, but you'd think he would garner a very good return.

Depends.. as Danny pointed out in the Weathers thread he has been very consistent the past 7 years. That speaks volumes for contending teams. I would think the Reds might have to toss in another arm but that would hinge on a Dunn deal purhaps or possibly Freel.

Marc D
07-31-2007, 11:55 AM

Exactly. He could very well be the difference between 5th and 6th place next year. No way we could afford to trade him.

Meet the new boss same as the old boss.

Red Leader
07-31-2007, 12:56 PM
According to Rotoworld.com the deal is done, they are just waiting on the Teixeira trade to be approved before announcing it. The deal is Dotel to the Braves for SP Kyle Davies.

PuffyPig
07-31-2007, 12:57 PM
Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut.

More like a nut finding a blind squirrel....
:D

Falls City Beer
07-31-2007, 12:59 PM
Kyle Davies: another "can't miss" that did.

Johnny Footstool
07-31-2007, 01:01 PM
Kyle Davies: another "can't miss" that did.

Yeah, but at 23, there are still plenty of chances for him to hit the target.

Falls City Beer
07-31-2007, 01:03 PM
Yeah, but at 23, there are still plenty of chances for him to hit the target.

Get back to me in three years.

I think he could be a very good bullpen arm; he does have value, and this trade is actually pretty good.

I was only using it as an object lesson to all those who believe in can't miss starting prospects. Though the list of failures is unfathomably long, so I'm not sure why.

M2
07-31-2007, 01:05 PM
I love pitchers who've "failed" at 23. In most cases, you should be in AAA or AA at age 23, not getting pasted in the majors.

If Davies can surive the physical and mental beating he's taken in the majors, he might become a useful pitcher in the coming years.

Falls City Beer
07-31-2007, 01:10 PM
I love pitchers who've "failed" at 23. In most cases, you should be in AAA or AA at age 23, not getting pasted in the majors.

If Davies can surive the physical and mental beating he's taken in the majors, he might become a useful pitcher in the coming years.

From "can't miss" to "useful."

That's what I'm talking about. Call it Zach Greinke disease.

Good pitchers come from nowhere; pedigreed ones fail at a ridiculous and untenable rate. Still no one knows why, really.

flyer85
07-31-2007, 01:12 PM
Still no one knows why, really.sunspots :cool:

M2
07-31-2007, 01:24 PM
From "can't miss" to "useful."

That's what I'm talking about. Call it Zach Greinke disease.

Good pitchers come from nowhere; pedigreed ones fail at a ridiculous and untenable rate. Still no one knows why, really.

Yep. Looks like Greinke's a middle reliever, at least for the time being.

I'm not sure there is a reason why per se. Part of it is too many kids get rushed to the majors years before they're ready, but I think it's more a sign that the industry crystal balls (at least the pitching-related ones) aren't very good.

Reds Fanatic
07-31-2007, 03:47 PM
This trade is done. The Braves get Dotel for Kyle Davies.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/07/31/bc.bbo.braves.royalstra.ap/index.html

REDREAD
07-31-2007, 10:43 PM

Yep, I remember you suggesting that. Would've been a much better investment than Stanton.

edabbs44
07-31-2007, 10:55 PM
This is a fun read:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53121&highlight=dotel