PDA

View Full Version : No Trades Made

reds44
07-31-2007, 04:26 PM
Manager Pete Mackanin talked to general manager Wayne Krivsky shortly after the non-waiver trade deadline (4 p.m.), and Mackanin said that Krivsky told him the Reds didn't make any trades. The Reds did make one move. Catcher Chad Moeller was outrighted to Triple-A, and infielder Mark Bellhorn was called up.

-Fay

Dissapointing

Homer Bailey
07-31-2007, 04:27 PM
Unbeeeeleeeveable!

BearcatShane
07-31-2007, 04:27 PM
Wow, I'm not happy. Walt Jocketty step right up.

uoduck1017
07-31-2007, 04:28 PM
BOOOOOO! This team is 16 games under .500 in the worst division in baseball and we stand pat!?! There is really not much to look forward to the rest of the year except maybe Homer and Joey Votto.

ChatterRed
07-31-2007, 04:28 PM
All this time I spent on this message board this past week went for nothing.

I blame Adam Dunn.

mroby85
07-31-2007, 04:29 PM
All this time I spent on this message board this past week went for nothing.

I blame Adam Dunn.

ill 2nd that, lol.

NeilHamburger
07-31-2007, 04:30 PM
Hopefully the reds keep on thuggin' through these hard times, next year I'll no longer be living in a cardboard box and they'll win it all.

Degenerate39
07-31-2007, 04:33 PM
What about Votto what are they going to do with him now? Keep him down for the whole year?

ChatterRed
07-31-2007, 04:37 PM
Great! I'm really excited about keeping this team intact and making a run at the division title over the next 2 months. :rolleyes:

Bring on the Bengals!!!!!! :beerme:

redsupport
bellhorn is the key, it was a major acquisition, the baseball world is atwitter, the reverberations are thunderous

mroby85
who cares, this is a disaster

NeilHamburger
07-31-2007, 04:39 PM
I honestly think Krivsky is planning on keeping Hatte, and maybe Conine around. He doesn't want any of that pesky power out of first base. From Hal Morris to Casey to Hatteberg is there some kind of rule saying the Reds can't have power at first?

ED44
07-31-2007, 04:41 PM
Great! I'm really excited about keeping this team intact and making a run at the division title over the next 2 months. :rolleyes:

Bring on the Bengals!!!!!! :beerme:

Speaking of...I went to G-town this morning to catch some of training camp. The official site had a practice scheduled from 9-11. We got there and it had changed to 3-5. So, I made a sweet 45 minute trip to G-town for nothing. Oh well, I may try and catch them Thursday instead.

As for the Reds, it really bothers me that the front office didn't make any moves to free up some playing time for Votto. In a wasted season, taking away playing time from a big time part of the future is disappointing.

tsj017
07-31-2007, 04:42 PM
Let the Krivsky death watch begin!

TC81190
07-31-2007, 04:45 PM
Weathers and Conine at LEAST should've been traded, Hatte too probably, those guys may never be more valuable.

AmarilloRed
07-31-2007, 04:45 PM
I am disappointed they didn't trade Conine or Hatteberg, but I am sure Votto will be called up in September when the rosters expand. It is better to make no trade than a bad trade, and it seems Wayne did not receive favorable offers or a trade would have been made.

NeilHamburger
07-31-2007, 04:46 PM
Any chance bob is going to sell the team, and wants the best product on the field to try and bring in more value?

Doro
07-31-2007, 04:51 PM
Your not going to get anything for Weathers, Conine, or Hatteberg so whats the big fuss? We could have traded them for a bunch of nobodies and everyone here would have been happy just because there were trades to talk about.

UC_Ken
07-31-2007, 04:55 PM
Stormy- However it is clear that he is outperforming his career norms. This was the opportunity to deal him at peak value. Most likely he returns to being a good set up man with a mid 4's ERA next season and he won't bring back near as much as he would have now. The only reason to hold onto him is if you think you can win the division next year.

Hatteberg- On 1530 this morning Mo Egger (sp?) said he had talked with Dan Hoard who does the Pawtucket Red Sox games in addition to UC sports. They've played the Bats around 10 times and they were discussing Reds prospects. Said Hoard openly gushed about how good Jay Bruce is. Then Mo said he wouldn't say what Hoard said about Votto because he didn't want to be negative, insinuating Hoard had nothing good to say about Votto. I wonder if the Reds scouts feel the same way, because if they believe in Votto they had to trade Hatteberg to give Votto a chance to prove himself.

Dunn- everyone says you get more for position players in the offseason than you do at the deadline. The best move was probably to hold on to him, pick up his option, and trade him in the offseason. And if he wants to play 1B then talk about a long term deal with him.

Arroyo- no matter what you got in return if you trade Arroyo you were conceding that you won't be good until a few more years. I didn't think Castellini would concede that nor do I think he should have. The 2009 rotation of Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, Cueto, and whoever looks like it could be a division winner if our young bullpen arms develop. I'm sure they were offered a lot for Arroyo but I like their decision.

durl
07-31-2007, 04:56 PM
I am disappointed they didn't trade Conine or Hatteberg, but I am sure Votto will be called up in September when the rosters expand. It is better to make no trade than a bad trade, and it seems Wayne did not receive favorable offers or a trade would have been made.

I'm with you. Sometimes no trade is the better way to go. If Buyers weren't offering anything good in return for Dunn or Hatteburg, there's no point in giving them away for long-shot prospects. That's the LAST thing the Reds need to do, in my opinion. I just didn't want to see another fire sale.

bounty37h
07-31-2007, 05:02 PM
as far as Weathers, he may never be more valuable, but we may not ever get a proven reliver at his cheap price either, that one is a wash to me.

wojo1025
07-31-2007, 05:10 PM
I am still wondering if the order came down from above that WK couldn't sell off these pieces. With everyone talking about the St. Louis connection coming into town next season, maybe WK was handcuffed when it comes to these deals? There may be more to this than we think.

The only moves I'm disappointed about?

Moving Conine would've been nice, but would not have got much back. He's all but announced that he's retiring after this season. What would we get for a 40 year old bench player that is going to retire in the offseason? I would've liked to move him, but don't know how much we could've got in return.
The value on Weathers right now has to be at it's highest. I know he's pitching great this season and at his price is cheap for next year. However, I just sit and wait for him to fall back down to Earth and start pitching back down to the normal level. Batters have to eventually figure out that with 2 strikes he throws that backdoor slider!!! I would've love to see him moved for some younger arms.
The Arroyo trade that was discussed on here made me really really consider that one, but I'm not sure if I would've made it or not.

All in all, I wasn't expecting much, but figured we'd do something. We got rid of Lohse, so that's one piece gone from this questionable roster. Not really sure what else WK could've done, even if he was allowed!

Jerry Narron
07-31-2007, 05:14 PM
This is nothing new. Wayne never made any moves to better the team when I was manager, and it ended up costing me my job.

LvJ
07-31-2007, 05:19 PM
Ah, disappointment never gets old. http://smiliesftw.com/x/ugh2.gif

SMcGavin
07-31-2007, 05:28 PM
I'm definitely disappointed to see Conine/Hatteberg still here, but I am also relieved that we didn't send Dunn away for nothing. My theory is that Krivsky believes he has to win next year or he's gone, that's why he wants Weathers around. Same with Hatteberg, he needs some insurance if Votto struggles early.

ChatterRed
07-31-2007, 05:29 PM
Dunn- everyone says you get more for position players in the offseason than you do at the deadline. The best move was probably to hold on to him, pick up his option, and trade him in the offseason. And if he wants to play 1B then talk about a long term deal with him.

Actually, I agree with this. Teams will lose players to free agency, and in the offseason, they'll be looking to plug more position player holes than they are right now, unless they have injuries. Dunn's value probably is higher in the offseason, plus a potential trading partner can work out a contract with Dunn if a trade is out there.

Still, I'd force Adam to play 1B the rest of the season if Votto isn't ready. Problem is what you do with Conine and Hatteberg.

ChatterRed
07-31-2007, 05:30 PM
This is nothing new. Wayne never made any moves to better the team when I was manager, and it ended up costing me my job.

:D:thumbup:

redsfanmia
07-31-2007, 05:34 PM
To still have Conine/Hatteberg/Stanton/Weathers and Dunn still on this team after the trade deadline is inexcusable IMO. I have always supported Wayne and thought that inspite of all the critizism from the "baseball geniuses" on this board that he was doing a good job, but now I am ready for him to go.

improbus
07-31-2007, 05:40 PM
There is still the Waiver deal deadline....

07-31-2007, 05:50 PM
There is still the Waiver deal deadline....

Exactly. remember that lots of big names have been made after the trading deadline, and hatte, conine and even weathers have a good shot of passing through waivers.
The Reds got Belisle from the Braves for Mercker after the deadline, and last year Conine was traded to the Phillies after the deadline.
I have a feeling a lot will happen in the next month.

BucSappy
07-31-2007, 06:16 PM
What about Votto what are they going to do with him now? Keep him down for the whole year?

Yeah, I just don't get this.

Didn't move Conine? Hatteberg? Weathers? Dunn? Valentin?

Is WK retarded?

The trade deadline is when you are supposed to improve your talent in the farm system if you are a bad team like the Reds.

I like the Maloney acq., but we could have gotten another 5-6 players, whether they are average or good in trades.

Fire WK. This guy is a joke.

Hey Meat
07-31-2007, 06:36 PM

Is WK retarded?

The trade deadline is when you are supposed to improve your talent in the farm system if you are a bad team like the Reds.

I like the Maloney acq., but we could have gotten another 5-6 players, whether they are average or good in trades.

Acquire Cantu, but not get rid of Conine?

Doro
07-31-2007, 06:45 PM

Is WK retarded?

apparently there wasnt a deal out there to improve their farm system..... you like the Maloney deal? He was the Phillies 9th best prospect. Thats what we got for a still young with great stuff pitcher (Lohse). What would you expect for some of the guys you wanted traded?

ChatterRed
07-31-2007, 06:52 PM
They traded IN THE SEASON!!!!!!

BWAHAAAAAA!!!!!!:doh::jump::laugh::KoolAid::deadho rse::lastyear::dunn::arroyo::griffey:

uoduck1017
07-31-2007, 07:10 PM
Wouldn't it be great if there were a sign that read...Welcome to last year, this year...AND next year!

SanDiegoRed
07-31-2007, 07:57 PM
Major disappointment. I expected a lot more activity

DntKnw
07-31-2007, 08:13 PM
Let's see . . . last year, WK makes a big trade and moves some deadwood . . . and everyone pans him, saying no trade would have been better.

This year, he only makes a couple of minor trades and everyone pans him for not moving the deadwood.

Maybe, folks weren't offering him anything for Dunn/Hatte/Conine/Weathers et al. and WK didn't want to move them for the sake of moving them.

Krawhitham
07-31-2007, 08:37 PM
I am still wondering if the order came down from above that WK couldn't sell off these pieces. With everyone talking about the St. Louis connection coming into town next season, maybe WK was handcuffed when it comes to these deals? There may be more to this than we think.

Or catfish did not want to get rid of the core players so his long time friend Mackanin stands a better chance at getting the job full time.

boognish
07-31-2007, 08:44 PM
Or catfish did not want to get rid of the core players so his long time friend Mackanin stands a better chance at getting the job full time.

If this is the rationale, it is utterly indefensible. I prefer to believe, and maybe I am being naive here, that the right returns weren't available.

The one thing that really disappoints me was WK "taking Weathers off the market." Everyone should be available for the right price, and any poster here and any lay fan could tell you the Reds have multiple needs...so it can't be that either the pitching or hitting market was weak. The Reds need an OBP source in CF for the top of the lineup, and preferably two starting pitchers, not to mention that the prior bullpen upgrades simply have not worked. I have to believe that some of those needs could have been filled, even with Freel, Hatteberg, Conine, Weathers, Stanton, et al as the primary trading chips.

This was a pivotal midseason juncture for Wayne's tenure, and whether because of factors outside his control or no, he punted. The seat is hotter as far as I am concerned.

Chi-Town Red
07-31-2007, 08:55 PM
Cat may have told him not to make any trades....and in that case it may be the end for WK

I(heart)Freel
07-31-2007, 08:56 PM
Actually, I agree with this. Teams will lose players to free agency, and in the offseason, they'll be looking to plug more position player holes than they are right now, unless they have injuries. Dunn's value probably is higher in the offseason, plus a potential trading partner can work out a contract with Dunn if a trade is out there.

Still, I'd force Adam to play 1B the rest of the season if Votto isn't ready. Problem is what you do with Conine and Hatteberg.

Folks are saying elsewhere that Dunn has a weird no-trade clause built into his option that won't allow us to deal him in the offseason. In fact, someone said something about no trades until June? (Can anyone clarify or better yet confirm?)

So... say hello to another opening day lineup with the Big Donkey in left field.

Unless there's any chance in the world Dunn passes through waivers.

jmac
07-31-2007, 09:30 PM
Cat may have told him not to make any trades....and in that case it may be the end for WK

This is my thinking as well. My main hope for all the deadline was for Votto to play first for the rest of the season.

AmarilloRed
07-31-2007, 10:06 PM
Folks are saying elsewhere that Dunn has a weird no-trade clause built into his option that won't allow us to deal him in the offseason. In fact, someone said something about no trades until June? (Can anyone clarify or better yet confirm?)

So... say hello to another opening day lineup with the Big Donkey in left field.

Unless there's any chance in the world Dunn passes through waivers.

I believe starting in June Dunn can name 10 teams he would be willing to be traded to, and Krivsky can trade Adam to any of of those teams.

boognish
07-31-2007, 10:11 PM
This is my thinking as well. My main hope for all the deadline was for Votto to play first for the rest of the season.

Why do you guys think Castellini stepped in? Not trying to be contrary, but just curious.