PDA

View Full Version : Pirates acquire Matt Morris

BRM
07-31-2007, 05:16 PM
SAN FRANCISCO -- The San Francisco Giants have acquired 26-year-old center fielder Rajai Davis and a player to be named later from the Pittsburgh Pirates in exchange for right-handed pitcher Matt Morris, club Senior Vice President and General Manager Brian Sabean announced today.

Davis, 5-11 and 195 pounds, is hitting .271 (13-for-48) with two doubles, two RBI and five stolen bases in 24 games for the Pirates. The right-handed hitting speedster was recalled from triple-A Indianapolis June 5, and made 12 starts in center field for Pittsburgh. The University of Connecticut at Avery Point product posted a .409 average (9-for-22) with two runs, two doubles and two stolen bases in his final 13 contests in a Pirates uniform.

LINK (http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070731&content_id=2120362&vkey=pr_sf&fext=.jsp&c_id=sf)

Matt700wlw
07-31-2007, 05:16 PM
Pirates will win the central

:p:

smith288
07-31-2007, 05:19 PM
What in the world is the Pirates going to do with Morris? Just make a trade to keep the fans interested or what?

BRM
07-31-2007, 05:19 PM
Rotoworld's take.

The Pirates are no longer cheap. They're still, however, quite bad. Morris just isn't any good these days, and there's little chance of that changing while he earns $3 million over the rest of this year and $9.5 million in 2008. It's nice that the Pirates are trying to change the culture, and unless the player to be named is much better than expected, they didn't give up anything they'll miss. Still, Morris is a minimal upgrade. Tony Armas Jr., who was supposed to replace John Van Benschoten in the rotation, now likely will stay in the bullpen.

Tom Servo
07-31-2007, 05:20 PM
What an odd move.

KronoRed
07-31-2007, 05:20 PM
Why? :dunno:

BRM
07-31-2007, 05:21 PM
Why? :dunno:

Because they are the Pirates.

RedsManRick
07-31-2007, 05:22 PM
LOL. I don't know what to say. Littlefield is easily the most incompetent GM in baseball.

KronoRed
07-31-2007, 05:22 PM
Because they are the Pirates.

10 years time...could be us ;)

Aronchis
07-31-2007, 05:23 PM
LOL. I don't know what to say. Littlefield is easily the most incompetent GM in baseball.

Krivsky sighs in relief!

BRM
07-31-2007, 05:41 PM
MLBTradeRumors take.

The Pirates have acquired Matt Morris from the Giants for outfielder Rajai Davis and a player to be named later. I'm guessing they just wanted salary relief, because Davis isn't much more than a speedy reserve outfielder. Brian Sabean made this deal about a month and a half too late. Morris had a 2.56 ERA in June 11th.

The Pirates seem to be trying that strategy that didn't work for Allard Baird - third-division club acquires third-division overpriced veterans to give the appearance of respectability. Maybe a few years from now they'll catch on to the Dayton Moore model.

flyer85
07-31-2007, 05:44 PM
the Pirates are so inept they will keep the Reds out of the cellar

Tom Servo
07-31-2007, 05:56 PM
They must be thrilled over on Pirateszone.

OldXOhio
07-31-2007, 06:11 PM
I don't know what I would do if I were a Pirates fan...other than break furniture and crawl under a rock until football season. I can't for the life of me understand what they're doing - apparently neither can Littlefield.

KronoRed
07-31-2007, 06:21 PM
Shame too, they have a beautiful stadium

Always Red
07-31-2007, 06:23 PM
Krivsky sighs in relief!

or maybe...Krivsky was outbid? ;)

redsfan4445
07-31-2007, 06:31 PM
they are wanting to compete for the subcentral to make sure the reds didnt get him..hehe

Marc D
07-31-2007, 07:22 PM
I don't know what I would do if I were a Pirates fan...other than break furniture and crawl under a rock until football season. I can't for the life of me understand what they're doing - apparently neither can Littlefield.

Shame too, they have a beautiful stadium

Guarantee the same is being said about us on many boards.

We are no different than Pitt, KC, Texas or TB. Miserible franchise with very limited prospects of getting better anytime soon.

Matt700wlw
07-31-2007, 07:35 PM
I don't know what I would do if I were a Pirates fan...other than break furniture and crawl under a rock until football season.

Be nice if they would stay there then, too...

MrCinatit
07-31-2007, 07:43 PM
Maybe we should have been trying to unload some of our vets to the Pirates.

traderumor
07-31-2007, 07:57 PM

We are no different than Pitt, KC, Texas or TB. Miserible franchise with very limited prospects of getting better anytime soon.Except we didn't just make a trade like this. The Pirates must be planning on going for bust next year :confused:

Marc D
07-31-2007, 08:02 PM
The Pirates must be planning on going for bust next year :confused:

Seems our management thinks we are too. Maybe they even feel we are so close there was no need to add such a "big name" pitcher? Just stand pat with this juggernaut they've built, let Pete do his thing and start printing WS tickets?

The Pirates are horrid, we are no better.

OldXOhio
07-31-2007, 08:24 PM
Seems our management thinks we are too. Maybe they even feel we are so close there was no need to add such a "big name" pitcher? Just stand pat with this juggernaut they've built, let Pete do his thing and start printing WS tickets?

The Pirates are horrid, we are no better.

Maybe the brass decided to sit on their hands instead of making any deals. Maybe they had a chance at dealing a Dunn, Weathers or Arroyo. Maybe they'll decide to deal one of them in the offseason. A whole lot of maybes there - no one really knows for sure...at least not yet. What PIT did had no maybe to it - it's fact. Our house may be screwed up as well, but at least Wayne had a penant race to justify his moves last year. The Pirates have no such reasoning this go around.

M2
07-31-2007, 08:29 PM
I kind of like this deal in that it's kind of crazy and totally against type for the Pirates. I mean the smart thing for the Pirates to do is survive on subsistence baseball until their stars align, right? Bag that. Now they're big spenders, maybe not smart spenders, but they've found a tuxedo in the trashcan and they're going to parade around town.

REDREAD
07-31-2007, 10:28 PM
I wonder if the Pirates are using Matt Morris a lotto ticket gamble.. hoping he gets better so he can be flipped for something else??

I'm not saying it's a good move though.

KronoRed
07-31-2007, 11:01 PM

We are no different than Pitt, KC, Texas or TB. Miserible franchise with very limited prospects of getting better anytime soon.

Maybe, but we don't really have a beautiful stadium ;)

Patrick Bateman
07-31-2007, 11:12 PM
I kind of like this deal in that it's kind of crazy and totally against type for the Pirates. I mean the smart thing for the Pirates to do is survive on subsistence baseball until their stars align, right? Bag that. Now they're big spenders, maybe not smart spenders, but they've found a tuxedo in the trashcan and they're going to parade around town.

I actually like that analogy, but the fact remains that the Pirates just agreed to pay a bottom of the rotation starter 9M per season. I'm guessing if the Reds extended Lohse at a similar rate, Redszone would be very unhappy.

It's nice to see the Pirates open their pockets a bit, but until they start picking up some above average talent, they will continue to falter, regardless of how much money they spend.

vaticanplum
07-31-2007, 11:12 PM
Ok, Matt Morris is not Greg Maddux, but from this thread you'd think he's Eric Milton. He's 32 years old with a lifetime 3.83 ERA; didn't he start this year on a pretty good tear?

I actually think they could have done a lot worse here. It's a meh move; it's not a horrific one, even with the financial considerations.

Patrick Bateman
07-31-2007, 11:25 PM
Ok, Matt Morris is not Greg Maddux, but from this thread you'd think he's Eric Milton. He's 32 years old with a lifetime 3.83 ERA; didn't he start this year on a pretty good tear?

I actually think they could have done a lot worse here. It's a meh move; it's not a horrific one, even with the financial considerations.

You are right. This isn't a crippling type of move. Since his K rate has dropped to the sub 7.00/9 level Morris has been a dependable average starter. He's been throwing around 200 innings at about a 4.30-4.50 ERA type of level. He's not what he once was, and at 9M per season it's not that bad a price in this market, but I think they are paying a lot for mediocrity.

The problem is that it's not a step up. They will be getting production that's really not that difficult to develop at much cheaper rates. If there is something the Pirates have been doing lately, it's finding bottom of the rotataion type of starters from their system. It's the one place where they really get decent production for cheap rates.

In Snell, Maholm, Duke, and Gorzelanny, they have 1 above average starter and 3 near average types (Duke's ERA stinks but I think the .369 BAPIP is the man reason). I'd say the one thing the Pirates didn't really need was another near average type of starter. Lately they have had no problem churning out pitchers in that mold at minumium salaries. Excess money should have really been turned to an upgrade at starter, or mainly towards their wretched offense. But they have such a ridiculous philosophy in regards to offense I really don't think they wll ever make strides there regardless of the money spent.

vaticanplum
07-31-2007, 11:30 PM
You are right. This isn't a crippling type of move. Since his K rate has dropped to the sub 7.00/9 level Morris has been a dependable average starter. He's been throwing around 200 innings at about a 4.30-4.50 ERA type of level. He's not what he once was, and at 9M per season it's not that bad a price in this market, but I think they are paying a lot for mediocrity.

The problem is that it's not a step up. They will be getting production that's really not that difficult to develop at much cheaper rates. If there is something the Pirates have been doing lately, it's finding bottom of the rotataion type of starters from their system. It's the one place where they really get decent production for cheap rates.

In Snell, Maholm, Duke, and Gorzelanny, they have 1 above average starter and 3 near average types (Duke's ERA stinks but I think the .369 BAPIP is the man reason). I'd say the one thing the Pirates didn't really need was another near average type of starter. They have had no problem churning out pitchers in that mold at minumium salaries. Excess money should have really been turned to an upgrade at starter, or mainly towards their wretched offense. But they have such a ridiculous philosophy in regards to offense I really don't think they wll ever make strides there regardless of the money spent.

Yes, that is all too much logic for the Pirates. I guess I measure the Pirates' moves on a scale of innocuous to disastrous, and relatively speaking this move is nowhere near the latter end so all the confusion it's causing, well, confuses me.

(BTW, we've got about 18-19 months until I feel this way about the Reds. Under 10 if they let Dunn walk.)

Johnny Footstool
08-01-2007, 12:03 AM

*Kind* of crazy? A small-budget team to paying $9 million for a lateral move is eating-bugs-off-the-sidewalk, screaming-at-Abe-Lincoln insanity.

It's giving me quite a laugh, though.

M2
08-01-2007, 12:33 AM
*Kind* of crazy? A small-budget team to paying $9 million for a lateral move is eating-bugs-off-the-sidewalk, screaming-at-Abe-Lincoln insanity.

It's giving me quite a laugh, though.

It's likely a futile attempt to create some sort of relevance for that franchise, but I dig the desire to grasp at relevance.

And who knows, maybe he turns into the next Kenny Rogers.

Johnny Footstool
08-01-2007, 01:14 AM
It's likely a futile attempt to create some sort of relevance for that franchise, but I dig the desire to grasp at relevance.

And who knows, maybe he turns into the next Kenny Rogers.

If you mean the Kenny Rogers who sang "The Coward of the County"...

Jpup
08-01-2007, 04:52 AM
Maybe, but we don't really have a beautiful stadium ;)

that Kentucky bluegrass is beautiful. :)

OldXOhio
08-01-2007, 08:55 AM

I agree that he's certainly better than a 5th starter type as mentioned in this thread, but I still can't think of a single valid reason for making this move. They have too many other holes to contend, so it's not like this was the one that would get them over the top. The Pirates fans aren't going to show up in droves now to see Matty Mo pitch either. What is it other than attempting to show the fans they're willing to spend, which unless this is the first of many of this nature, is unnecessary.

RFS62
08-01-2007, 09:02 AM
I just heard he's the highest paid player in Pirate history.

Is that true?

bucksfan2
08-01-2007, 09:38 AM
Lets put it this way, if the reds offered two prospects for Matt Morris for the rest of this season plus the next at about market value would you do it. Consider these prospects aren't valued in the organizations top 10. Matt Morris is better than any current reds pitcher not named Harang or Arroyo. Let me see Morris or Belisle, I think I take Morris every day and twice on sundays.

Johnny Footstool
08-01-2007, 09:51 AM
Lets put it this way, if the reds offered two prospects for Matt Morris for the rest of this season plus the next at about market value would you do it. Consider these prospects aren't valued in the organizations top 10. Matt Morris is better than any current reds pitcher not named Harang or Arroyo. Let me see Morris or Belisle, I think I take Morris every day and twice on sundays.

Neither the Pirates nor the Reds are in any position to necessitate spending $9 million on a 5th starter. Yankees? Maybe. Reds and Pirates? No way.

I'd rather spend the $9 million on something worthwhile.

Besides, the Pirates already have a decent rotation.

Roy Tucker
08-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Actually, I wasn't happy to see this move. Morris has always been tough on the Reds and this means we'll see him more.

westofyou
08-01-2007, 11:25 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2956465

The Giants' brass was sitting around its suite Tuesday morning, bemoaning the fact that it had no decent deals cooking whatsoever. And then, out of the blue, it happened. The Pirates called. And wanted Matt Morris. His 7.94 ERA since mid-June? Not a problem. That $9.5 million he's owed next year (not counting his $1 million 2009 buyout)? Not a problem. And so they swooped in and finished off a deal for Morris minutes before the deadline -- for a legit prospect (Rajai Davis), a second prospect to be chosen from an agreed-upon list and absolutely zero money changing hands. Well, it didn't take long. For the next two hours, after people around baseball learned of this deal, they couldn't stop calling, e-mailing and texting reactions that could probably be summed up with three succinct words: WHAT THE BX!GRZFDQ!!!!!

Chip R
08-01-2007, 11:38 AM

Yeah, he's been a pretty good pitcher and as Roy said he's been tough on the Reds although IIRC they knocked him around pretty good last time they faced him. However, if he's so good, why didn't the Cubs or Brewers or Indians or Tigers or Mets or anyone who needs a pitcher pick him up? The asking price didn't seem to be too high and Lord knows they needed him more than the Buccos do.

KronoRed
08-01-2007, 11:59 AM

Is that true?

That's hillrious

He may not be as bad as Milton but the Pirates mind set appears to be the same as the Reds was "Hey we got some pitcher guy! COME SEE US" ;)

vaticanplum
08-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Yeah, he's been a pretty good pitcher and as Roy said he's been tough on the Reds although IIRC they knocked him around pretty good last time they faced him. However, if he's so good, why didn't the Cubs or Brewers or Indians or Tigers or Mets or anyone who needs a pitcher pick him up? The asking price didn't seem to be too high and Lord knows they needed him more than the Buccos do.

Ok, once again, I didn't say it was a great move. Just that it's not laughable as far as the Pirates go. They could have spent more money on worse.

westofyou
08-01-2007, 12:02 PM

Is that true?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07213/805936-63.stm

The Pirates yesterday acquired starting pitcher Matt Morris, who will be the highest-paid player in the franchise's 121-year history

Cedric
08-01-2007, 12:20 PM
I bet Littlefield is looking for that "veteran leadership" and a big innings eater.

It amazes me how absurd and old school the guys running baseball teams are.

westofyou
11-29-2007, 10:34 AM
http://post-gazette.com/pg/07333/837707-63.stm

Pirates offer Morris, chase relievers
Cardinals eye Wilson; Japanese closer on radar
Thursday, November 29, 2007
By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Pirates are trying to subtract and add pitching at the same time.

General manager Neal Huntington has made it known to peers that he is open to trading starter Matt Morris, who would consume roughly 20 percent of the franchise's payroll next season with a salary of $9.5 million, plus a $1 million buyout. Such a deal almost surely would require the Pirates to absorb some of that salary.

One possible suitor is St. Louis, which nearly reacquired Morris from the San Francisco Giants at the July 31 trading deadline before the Pirates swooped in at the last minute and offered to pick up his full contract. The Cardinals are seeking veteran starting pitching this offseason and, under the right circumstances, are willing to part with young pitchers such as Anthony Reyes, Tyler Johnson or Brad Thompson to get it.

Moreover, St. Louis has expressed early interest in trading for shortstop Jack Wilson, who is due $14.25 million the next two seasons. The Cardinals are expected to lose their shortstop, David Eckstein, to free agency by not offering him arbitration next month. Multiple needs could result in multi-player trade talks.

Morris had the right to demand a trade within 15 days after the World Series, as per a grandfathered clause in Major League Baseball's previous labor agreement, but he and agent Barry Axelrod informed the Pirates two weeks ago they would not do that. If Morris had demanded a trade, he could have become a free agent March 15 if no deal could be struck and, thus, would have risked losing his large salary for next season.

Meanwhile, the Pirates are "in negotiations" with several free-agent relievers, Huntington said, in an attempt to add late-inning bullpen depth. One target is believed to be Japanese closer Kazuo Fukumori, 31, a right-hander who had a 4.75 ERA last season before having bone chips removed from his elbow in August. He filed for major-league free agency two weeks ago.

Huntington also has cited an upgraded bench and an infusion of prospects as offseason needs.

Krusty
11-30-2007, 09:52 AM
http://post-gazette.com/pg/07333/837707-63.stm

Why the Pirates acquired Morris in the first place at the trading deadline way beyond belief. Finally someone had the sense to force former GM Dave Littlefield to walk the plank.

KronoRed
11-30-2007, 01:54 PM
It's sort of a shame you can't undo a fired GM's moves.