PDA

View Full Version : Why Kyle Lohse wasn't successful.

texasdave
07-31-2007, 09:11 PM
I know Lohse is no longer a Red and is now the Phillies headache, but I stumbled across this article. I found it interesting. If it has been posted on this board previously, I apologize. Of note is that only 1 out of 38 batters, according to this blog, has swung at his curve ball and missed. :eek: Check it out. **NOTE** This article was posted fairly recently, July 17th.

http://blog.stats.com/2007/07/whiff_profile_kyle_lohse.html

Doro
07-31-2007, 10:09 PM
interesting stat

How did they come about these numbers? chart all of his pitches the entire season to this date?

08-01-2007, 01:38 AM
completely meaningless. Lohse is not a curveball pitcher, the article says he has only thrown it 38 times this year. He has probably thrown 2000 pitches this year, so he has thrown it around 2% of the time. His change and his slider are his out pitches, and his has a fine wiff ratio for those.
His problem is that he simply is not a smart pitcher. Period. Million dollar arm, ten cent head. Just watch his bad days and you can see that for yourself.

fadetoblack2880
08-01-2007, 07:03 AM
Lohse stinks. I'm glad he's gone.

simpleman424
08-01-2007, 07:37 AM
Kyle could be a decent starting pitcher in any lineup but his inconsistency has killed him. We'll see what the Phillies can do with him and maybe he can even contribute to a late season push??

Doro
08-01-2007, 03:49 PM
completely meaningless. Lohse is not a curveball pitcher, the article says he has only thrown it 38 times this year. He has probably thrown 2000 pitches this year, so he has thrown it around 2% of the time. His change and his slider are his out pitches, and his has a fine wiff ratio for those.
His problem is that he simply is not a smart pitcher. Period. Million dollar arm, ten cent head. Just watch his bad days and you can see that for yourself.

I think a point could be made that the arguement was in a way saying if he had a halfway decent curveball it would change a lot about him as a pitcher. I also have a problem with people making character judgements on people they have never met and dont know (10 cent head?)

08-01-2007, 04:17 PM
I think a point could be made that the arguement was in a way saying if he had a halfway decent curveball it would change a lot about him as a pitcher. I also have a problem with people making character judgements on people they have never met and dont know (10 cent head?)
Sorry, not making a character judgment, just saying he has no idea how to pitch...probabaly a nice, smart guy. Should have said "ten cent baseball head."
Also, he is not a curveball pitcher. He has a nice slider and a really nice changeup. Mario Soto had an All-Star career with just two pitches. Tom Glavine, Steve Carlton are hall of fame pitchers with just two pitches. Lohse has three, if he needs a fourth, there is something else wrong.

AmarilloRed
08-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Kyle Lohse is now a member of the Phillies. It is no longer important for us why he could never consistantly pitch well, but I do wish him all the best in Philadelphia. I hope the Maloney prospect we received for him will help the Reds in the future.