PDA

View Full Version : Back from RFK--Game and Deadline Thoughts

reds44
07-31-2007, 11:29 PM
Game
EE looked really good. 2 hits and a great AB to work a walk to go along with an RBI. Give him time, he is having a sophmore slump. He'll come out of it.

Dunn looked good. A great AB to get a walk, and a ball hit off the top out of wall that would have been out of almost any other park.

Phillips continues to swing a hot stick, and all Keppinger does is hit.

Griffey looks lost at the plate, as he has since the all star break. Looks much more like 2006 Griffey then 2007. Color me worried.

Ryan Freel is awful.

David Ross had a nice night.

Bobby Livingston imploded. Anyone surprised?

I'll post some pictures late.

Deadline
pfft

Nothing happend. Conine and Hatteberg stay with Votto in AAA. Weathers and Stanton are still here. Nothing really happend.

And I have a theory. Does anyone think it is possible that BCast told Krivsky not to fire sale? Maybe BCast already has Jocketty in mind and wants Jocketty to have options. He has the option to re-sign Dunn or trade him. He has the option to trade to Junior. He has the option to do what he wants with the chips he has. Does anyone think this is possible?

I was looking forward to watching the likes of Votto and the cast of young guys playing up here, but instead I get to watch a bad team. A bad team that's not even rebuilding.

I hope BCast has Jocketty in mind.

Degenerate39
07-31-2007, 11:31 PM
Griffey def. needs a few nights off hopefully Hamilton comes back soon.

Dunn missed a homer by inches it looked like.

reds44
07-31-2007, 11:34 PM
Griffey def. needs a few nights off hopefully Hamilton comes back soon.

Dunn missed a homer by inches it looked like.
You could see where it hit at the top of the wall clear as day. Was pretty wierd.

Also, I didn't think RFK was that bad. Certainly not the best place, but it's no worse then Wrigley.

ED44
07-31-2007, 11:35 PM
"Ryan Freel is awful".

My thoughts exactly!

AmarilloRed
07-31-2007, 11:49 PM
I think this team really misses Josh Hamilton.

Degenerate39
07-31-2007, 11:57 PM
I think this team really misses Josh Hamilton.

Absolutely he's a good defender and with a good bat. I'd take him over Norris or Freel every day of the week.

Blue
07-31-2007, 11:58 PM
I for one do not want a new GM. That would be a third GM in four years. Its not really enough time to make a difference.

I know, I know, I know, he traded a RF who now has a .706 OPS, a SS who now has a .649 OPS, and a reliever who is now injured for a reliever who has been injured/sucked, a reliever who was injured and just now getting close to coming back to the majors, and a short live-armed middling prospect. I know. I also know that he traded away a SS he recieved in that trade, who happens to be having the best season of any player involved.

I know he signed Mike Stanton... for two years.

But the good outweighs the bad, BY FAR. Phillips and Hamilton for virtually nothing. Arroyo for Wily Mo. He signed Alex Gonzalez at a reasonable rate when we had no other viable options at SS. (His OPS is #8 in the league among starting SS.) He has brought in promising arms like Coutlangus, McBeth, and Burton. He traded for Guardado who was a great closer for us down the stretch last season.

Of course, you all know this, and its been said many times. But I just can't understand why everyone is so doom and gloom about Krivsky. Yes, the team took a step back this year record wise, but they played over their heads last season.

I don't think Jocketty can do better, unless Castellini would increase the payroll by about 70%, so he'd be on par with what he has had to work with in St. Louis.

mroby85
07-31-2007, 11:59 PM
who wouldn't, i hate to use this overused term, but he's honestly a 5 tool player

tomred
08-01-2007, 12:08 AM
I think reds fans have waited so long for a good team and have been promised so much we want to win now or else

SMcGavin
08-01-2007, 12:44 AM
I for one do not want a new GM. That would be a third GM in four years. Its not really enough time to make a difference.

I know, I know, I know, he traded a RF who now has a .706 OPS, a SS who now has a .649 OPS, and a reliever who is now injured for a reliever who has been injured/sucked, a reliever who was injured and just now getting close to coming back to the majors, and a short live-armed middling prospect. I know. I also know that he traded away a SS he recieved in that trade, who happens to be having the best season of any player involved.

I know he signed Mike Stanton... for two years.

But the good outweighs the bad, BY FAR. Phillips and Hamilton for virtually nothing. Arroyo for Wily Mo. He signed Alex Gonzalez at a reasonable rate when we had no other viable options at SS. (His OPS is #8 in the league among starting SS.) He has brought in promising arms like Coutlangus, McBeth, and Burton. He traded for Guardado who was a great closer for us down the stretch last season.

Of course, you all know this, and its been said many times. But I just can't understand why everyone is so doom and gloom about Krivsky. Yes, the team took a step back this year record wise, but they played over their heads last season.

I don't think Jocketty can do better, unless Castellini would increase the payroll by about 70%, so he'd be on par with what he has had to work with in St. Louis.

I'd give Wayne another year too. My argument basically boils down to this: Krivsky inherited a really bad team. His #1 objective at the start should be to acquire/identify some key assets that will help the Reds win in the future. In my opinion he has added three key pieces to the Reds' future (BP, Hamilton, Arroyo) without losing any of the key assets that were here when he started (Dunn, Harang, Homer, Bruce, maybe EE). You can say he got lucky with BP and Hamilton if you want, but it's hard to disagree that the Reds' core is better now than it was when Wayne started.

Now at some point just adding to the core isn't enough, Wayne needs to put together a complete team. For me, next year is that year.

jmac
08-01-2007, 05:22 AM
Game
EE looked really good. 2 hits and a great AB to work a walk to go along with an RBI. Give him time, he is having a sophmore slump.

Griffey looks lost at the plate, as he has since the all star break. Looks much more like 2006 Griffey then 2007. Color me worried.

If you arent worried about EE then I would say dont worry about Jr cause he like everyone else goes thru stretches like this.

simpleman424
08-01-2007, 06:26 AM
I have to say I especially like this core of players. It always leads me to the conversation of Dunn and Griffey and the role there play playing in the lineup. Griffey and Dunn are great players don't get me wrong but honestly were not winning with them so maybe it is time for Wayne to look into stabilizing this core with more young prospect players. The trade deadline passed though and nothing was done with either one of them. I wont argue the progression of the team this year (despite the record) but I was hoping for at least 3rd in the central this year...

Orenda
08-01-2007, 07:08 AM
I have to say I especially like this core of players. It always leads me to the conversation of Dunn and Griffey and the role there play playing in the lineup. Griffey and Dunn are great players don't get me wrong but honestly were not winning with them so maybe it is time for Wayne to look into stabilizing this core with more young prospect players. The trade deadline passed though and nothing was done with either one of them. I wont argue the progression of the team this year (despite the record) but I was hoping for at least 3rd in the central this year...

Dunn is younger than: Freel, Valentine, Conine, Hatteberg, Stanton, Weathers, Castro, Santos. I would say unless this team is truly serious about competing next year then all those players should not be here today. If they wanted to field a contender I would keep Freel and Hatteberg (off the bench) and Weathers as a setup guy.

simpleman424
08-01-2007, 07:54 AM
I could definitely agree with the route your going there. But at the same time we still have to worry about injuries...I like Freel a lot but he's injury prone. Weathers I don't think we could afford to get rid of. Valentine has been gaining a lot of head way over Ross as of lately in most peoples eyes so I don't know how well that would go over. I could be happy with those moves and I would even keep Dunn in there but we could save a lot of money by picking up his option...

berryluther
08-01-2007, 08:32 AM
JR is bound to go through a stretch like this. He has to be tired. This is the most he has played in 5 years.