PDA

View Full Version : Scully to let the fans call Bonds' record breaker...

Matt700wlw
08-01-2007, 03:06 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/01/sports/baseball/01scully.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

HotCorner
08-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Talk about taking the easy way out ...

OldXOhio
08-01-2007, 06:20 PM
He's still the best in the biz.

M2
08-01-2007, 07:04 PM
“I won’t give an opinion,” he said. “That’s not my job.”

Joseph
08-01-2007, 07:20 PM
“I won’t give an opinion,” he said. “That’s not my job.”

Wait a minute.

I thought HoFers were supposed to tell us naive and ignorant fans what our opinions should be about a particular subject or player.

MrCinatit
08-01-2007, 07:36 PM
So, I guess we will not be hearing the 45 seconds of cheering (or silence), followed by Scully mumbling "What a putz".
Kind of disappointing, actually.

KronoRed
08-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Wait a minute.

I thought HoFers were supposed to tell us naive and ignorant fans what our opinions should be about a particular subject or player.

Who knew? ;)

Matt700wlw
08-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Wait a minute.

Thom's not a hall of famer, Brantley's not a hall of famer....and yes, their bosses listen to the broadcasts...

If the organization is going to permit them to add their opinion's to the broadcast, why would they not continue to do it?

Scully has his style, and approach...and obviously it's worked. Others have theirs.

Dom Heffner
08-02-2007, 12:17 AM
Thom's not a hall of famer, Brantley's not a hall of famer....and yes, their bosses listen to the broadcasts...

Marty isn't a hall of famer either.

harangatang
08-02-2007, 01:23 AM
All Cincinnati has is a loud mouth "Hall of Famer" named Marty whom thinks that the Reds would be better off becoming Pittsburgh by trading away Dunn. Then you have a good ol' country boy named Jeff whom thinks it's still high school and calls Todd Coffey out on the radio. It's quite ashame how disrespectful this organization has become.

Cyclone792
08-02-2007, 02:16 AM
Talk about taking the easy way out ...

Actually that wouldn't be all that much different than Scully's own call for Hank's 715th home run.

When Hank hit #715, Scully called the play all the way up until the blast landed in the bullpen. Then he paused for quite some time while the crowd roared in the background. Scully's commentary about Aaron receiving a standing ovation in the deep south didn't occur until after the lengthy pause for the crowd's reaction, by which point Hank had already crossed the plate.

That was a very classy call too, IMO, and it came from arguably the greatest baseball pbp guy in history.

Ron Madden
08-02-2007, 02:45 AM
Actually that wouldn't be all that much different than Scully's own call for Hank's 715th home run.

When Hank hit #715, Scully called the play all the way up until the blast landed in the bullpen. Then he paused for quite some time while the crowd roared in the background. Scully's commentary about Aaron receiving a standing ovation in the deep south didn't occur until after the lengthy pause for the crowd's reaction, by which point Hank had already crossed the plate.

That was a very classy call too, IMO, and it came from arguably the greatest baseball pbp guy in history.

Agreed 100%. :thumbup:

Ernie Harwell deserves Kudos as well.

:beerme:

RFS62
08-02-2007, 07:14 AM
I like it myself.

I really hope it happens in Dodger stadium

redsmetz
08-02-2007, 07:39 AM

It's really indicative of an older style - Red Barber did that regularly. There wasn't the incessant need for constant talking. Yes, descriptions are necessary, but some times, it paints the picture better by letting the crowd do the "talking".

I'm not saying that's why Scully is necessarily doing in this case, should it occur while he's broadcasting, but it's an element from a bygone day nonetheless.

vaticanplum
08-02-2007, 09:32 AM

He's a HOF broadcaster, isn't he? I thought that's what was meant.

M2
08-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Scully has his style, and approach...and obviously it's worked. Others have theirs.

Knowing and doing your job isn't a style.

deltachi8
08-02-2007, 10:27 AM

Thank you.

http://baseball-almanac.com/awards/aw_frk.shtml

Ford Frick Award
This excellence in baseball broadcasting award was first given in 1978 to recognize the broadcaster for his or her major contributions to baseball via the broadcast booth. The Ford Frick Award winners are selected by a committee of baseball executives and media personnel and the trophy is given during the annual induction ceremonies at the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

The winners of the Ford Frick Award are not truly "members" of the hall of fame. Their names are inscribed on an exhibit called "Scribes and Mikemen" outside of the main library at the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

vaticanplum
08-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Wow, I was never aware of that distinction. So when he's referred to as a HOFer, that's actually wrong? Petty distinction, I guess, but interesting.

deltachi8
08-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Wow, I was never aware of that distinction. So when he's referred to as a HOFer, that's actually wrong? Petty distinction, I guess, but interesting.

I don't think they get a blazer and learn the secret handshake either.

nate
08-02-2007, 10:57 AM
I don't think they get a balzer and learn the secret handshake either.

I'm not sure I'd want to be in if getting a balzer is part of the indoctrination. :)

registerthis
08-02-2007, 11:07 AM
I'm not sure I'd want to be in if getting a balzer is part of the indoctrination. :)

I had a few of those at the pub last night.

My head still aches.

deltachi8
08-02-2007, 11:23 AM

noted and edited.

though it make for a more interesting crowd in Cooperstown.

KronoRed
08-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Wow, I was never aware of that distinction. So when he's referred to as a HOFer, that's actually wrong?

Don't tell him that :lol: